Threadlock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m very much not an engineer and have had issues with fixings working loose (rack mounts). I choose to solve the problem with a sprung washer, which works well.

Will I be put in the stocks for such an offence?
I work in the telecom industry (Rigger) which involves bolting big steel things to other big steel things that are high up in the air, without flat and spring washers they wouldn't be up in the air for long!

Each industry is different I know but a blanket 'don't need them mate' is clear bollox!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
without flat and spring washers
What's a flat washer? Is it 'a washer '?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I’m very much not an engineer and have had issues with fixings working loose (rack mounts). I choose to solve the problem with a sprung washer, which works well.

Will I be put in the stocks for such an offence?

Spring washers are OK, I believe, but don't do as I do (shakeproof washers on my rack mount bolts) as that's completely beyond the pale.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Not a big fan of Loctite either, and I'm also an engineer. It has it's uses, but it makes subsequent disassembly of parts a right pain, in the same way undoing a nyloc nut on a rusty thread is a pain. If I really don't want something coming loose, I tend to double-nut it using plain nuts and a flat washer. The bonus is the secondary nut reduces thread corrosion, and if you use anti-seize or grease on the thread you are pretty much guaranteed the fastener will easily come apart when you want it to in future but won't work loose when you don't want it to.

Sounds like you understand the different grades which I don't, so I'm probably best leaving the stuff well alone.

Having said that, I did have handlebar clamp bolts come loose on one occasion.

I was trundling along at my usual 10-12mph, but there was still a few nervous seconds as I came to an untidy halt.

Could have been nasty if there was any motor traffic about.

I do try to go round the bike with a multi tool occasionally and nip up anything that needs it.
I don't think threadlock would have been much use with those loose bar bolts - it's not metal glue.
I use the blue stuff that comes in something like a lipstick tube for some small bolts.
It's the grade that can perfectly easily be undone with normal use of normal tools.
I too check bolts regularly - I did in the middle of a long ride have a bottom rack bolt work itself all the way out. Luckily I had some spares with me - always an idea to carry a few M5 bolts. I have now added nuts to the inside of most of my rack mounts where they will fit - these have their own threadlock.

gbb

Legendary Member
Mechanic by trade, I rarely ever ever use threadlock unless its in a high vibration are or the threads damaged.

Last edited by a moderator:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not wanting to start a bun fight, but can you not tighten a fastener correctly? I have NEVER had a nut come loose. I work in an industry that does not use threadlock and frowns on the use of lockwashers and locknuts. We seem to cope ok without them....
This guy must be right, he used CAPITAL letters :smile:

Oh, do pay attention! I said some manufacturers use them to make their products unserviceable. Some thread lockers can only be shifted using a blowtorch. Look at the Loctite data sheets.
Aren't we talking about loctite for bicycles? I have never had problem breaking the seal. It also stops the moisture getting into the joints another clear benefit. Pedal joints are prime example of where you should use it. Keeps the moisture from getting in and make sure they don't work loose. I would rather not over tighten.
Again belts and braces.

Last edited:
but it makes subsequent disassembly of parts a right pain,
Never had a problem disassembly. Your not supposed to use superglue!!

The bonus is the secondary nut reduces thread corrosion
How does it reduce thread corrosion?
Loctite reduces thread corrosion.
How does that work with rack bolts?
Lots of bolts are clearly not going to be long enough.
Can't think of anything else, i will come back when I do!

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Mechanic by trade, I rarely ever ever use threadlock unless its in a high vibration are or the threads damaged.
So on your (or others') bikes where do you use threadlock, then? Or are you saying that no fastening on a bike is "in a (sic) high vibration"? Is the use of threadlock a suitable mitigation to minimise the risk of failure of fastenings where the threads are damaged?

gbb

Legendary Member
So on your (or others') bikes where do you use threadlock, then? Or are you saying that no fastening on a bike is "in a (sic) high vibration"? Is the use of threadlock a suitable mitigation to minimise the risk of failure of fastenings where the threads are damaged?
I cant think I ever used it on a bike. I'd consider myself to have a degree of mechanical sympathy, I don't over tighten stuff, its extraordinarily rare for something to come loose on any of my bikes so I don't consider it needed or useful. That said, some might. I'm not against its use, just don't need it myself.

I have some in my work toolbox and we have some vibrating equipment (conveyors / feeders etc)I 'might' use locktite on.
Damaged threads ?....its not good practice of course but sometimes, usually, speed is of the essence, you might have 30 people on £9 hr waiting while I fix something. If I happen across a damaged thread or bolt (often in an aluminium gearbox housing, 1 damaged thread of 4 for instance...or an air operated flap that's moving 1000s time a day) of course I can fix it properly, rethread it, replace a slightly ropey bolt...but that takes time while a quick shot of thread lock can make an acceptable compromise until a later date. It's a decision made on the job, depending on the degree of play, acceptability, length of time it might last etc etc etc.
But even at work on a day to day basis, no, it's not really used.

I've also worked on some vibratory equipment where you absolutely would use it every time.

Top Bottom