Threadlock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
Do you use thread lock?
I've been dismantling and cleaning brakes and gear changers lately. Most had been assembled in the lbs using thread lock. Do most people use it on home mechanics?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nope

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another no from me.

When I worked as a car mechanic (Saturday boy) threadlock and instant gaskets were viewed by the proper mechanics as the preserve of the home bodger.

However, times change and I believe threadlock is used by manufacturers on some fixings.

If the manufacturer uses it, it's only common sense to use it when reassembling.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Another no from me.

When I worked as a car mechanic (Saturday boy) threadlock and instant gaskets were viewed by the proper mechanics as the preserve of the home bodger.

However, times change and I believe threadlock is used by manufacturers on some fixings.

If the manufacturer uses it, it's only common sense to use it when reassembling.
I suspect that some manufacturers use thread lockers and other engineering adhesives for the specific purpose of rendering their product un-serviceable. It's just a sales ploy.

weareHKR

Yup I too am a "real engineer" & I use it regularly on machine rebuilds.
On bikes I tend to use a dab of 243 (medium strength) on brake caliper mount bolts & rotor bolts, chainring bolts & handlebar clamp screws.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Another engineer by education here.
I use threadlock (same strength as @weareHKR uses) for the locations listed below. These are all fixings that I do not plan to undo till end of life or are difficult to check. I fail to see why @slowmotion thinks an item is made unserviceable by the judicious use of threadlocker.
BB right hand side (normally already on the thread (eg UN-55))
Chainring bolts
Mudguard fittings - into the chainstay bridge and at all 4 dropout braze ons (but not the ones at the guard end of the stays)
Tiny screws that secure brake pads into the shoes (caliper brakes) - as supplied/sold
Screws securing cleats onto shoes
Screws securing disc brakes onto post mount or ISO.
dismantling and cleaning brakes and gear changers
Could you share a little more detail?

Last edited:

weareHKR

I suspect that some manufacturers use thread lockers and other engineering adhesives for the specific purpose of rendering their product un-serviceable. It's just a sales ploy.
Generally its applied to the threads of a fastener to keep it from loosening over time from vibration, its especially useful on smaller bolts that require a relatively low torque!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yup I too am a "real engineer" & I use it regularly on machine rebuilds.
On bikes I tend to use a dab of 243 (medium strength) on brake caliper mount bolts & rotor bolts, chainring bolts & handlebar clamp screws.
Not wanting to start a bun fight, but can you not tighten a fastener correctly? I have NEVER had a nut come loose. I work in an industry that does not use threadlock and frowns on the use of lockwashers and locknuts. We seem to cope ok without them....

Gunk

Guru
I use threadlock on my motorcycle because the vibration is more severe, I don’t use it on when I’m building bikes, I don’t use a torque wrench either, experience has taught me how tight is tight and I’ve never had anything come loose.

weareHKR

Not wanting to start a bun fight, but can you not tighten a fastener correctly? I have NEVER had a nut come loose. I work in an industry that does not use threadlock and frowns on the use of lockwashers and locknuts. We seem to cope ok without them....
Well jolly good for you & I really don't have an issue with that, that's entirely you or your industry's choice.
My industry however does recommend that small fastenings are torqued down to the correct specification & should also include the appropriate loctite.
But enough of that, the OP asked specifically about the use of loctite on bikes, so I guess some do & some don't!

Top Bottom