Threads on derailleur hanger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Welch

Hi everyone , my derailleur and hanger got mashed at the weekend , I've got a new hanger and derailleur ready to fit but the screws for the hanger won't bite , it looks like I may have done the threads in , any ideas

Attachments

• IMG_20220216_155520MP.jpg
    IMG_20220216_155520MP.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220216_155548MP.jpg
    IMG_20220216_155548MP.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220216_155605MP.jpg
    IMG_20220216_155605MP.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 19

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Pics are a bit rough.
Do you mean the threads in the frame won't hold the hanger on?

Roseland triker

Hmmm can be problematic.
If you have enough clearance between casette and frame you could bolt through fitting a nylock nut on the back but usually there isn't enough room.
Being aluminium I would very carefully drill out and retap the next size up .
Drill the hanger holes to accommodate the larger bolt and refit it with the next size up bolt.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As we all know, Jimmy's photo skills are almost as good as his mechanic-ing.

:crazy:

si_c

Guru
Might be worth checking you're fitting it correctly, on all my bikes the threads are in the hanger and not in the frame, so you thread the bolts in from the opposite side and that pulls the hanger into the frame rather than screwing through the hanger into the frame itself.

presta

Guru
you could bolt through fitting a nylock nut on the back but usually there isn't enough room.
Then put the nut on the outside, with the head of a countersunk bolt at the back. (Or a pan head may be flat enough to clear without the need to countersink the frame.)

Roseland triker

Then put the nut on the outside, with the head of a countersunk bolt at the back. (Or a pan head may be flat enough to clear without the need to countersink the frame.)
Yes there are various options.
As the OP said frame threads were buggered I went with the most obvious repair not being able to have it here to view in person:laugh:

Counter sinking the frame will only make it thinner

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Might be worth checking you're fitting it correctly, on all my bikes the threads are in the hanger and not in the frame, so you thread the bolts in from the opposite side and that pulls the hanger into the frame rather than screwing through the hanger into the frame itself.
I haven't tried that , can everyone else agree to bolt out from the frame rather than into it ?

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Ill give it a go

Top Bottom