Threads on derailleur hanger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I may have done the threads in
Solutions above: choice will depend on your expertise. But "any ideas" how you did the threads in? The hanger presumably bent/broke in your mashing. That won't have done 'em in.
NB Thread title misleading.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Whatever happened when I came off the hanger didn't even brake as I believe it's meant the whole hanger was still attached to the derailleur with the two screws inside

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Can someone fill me in on locktite we used to use metal bonding putties in another life when I was a chemical engineer , these set like steel is locktite something similar

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
These or similar are widely available and should be appropriate, if I understand the problem correctly:

Establish the best size, then drill out the hanger and fit with the hex bolt head facing out. If you can get the size just right, you can make the hole exactly the same size as the female threaded sleeve; then heat the hanger gently and push in the sleeve from the back. When the hanger cools it will grip the sleeve tightly. With an aluminium frame, be very careful not to use excessive heat — the hanger will melt. A hair dryer should be fine (definitely not a paint stripper!).

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

These or similar are widely available and should be appropriate, if I understand the problem correctly:

View attachment 631309

Establish the best size, then drill out the hanger and fit with the hex bolt head facing out. If you can get the size just right, you can make the hole exactly the same size as the female threaded sleeve; then heat the hanger gently and push in the sleeve from the back. When the hanger cools it will grip the sleeve tightly. With an aluminium frame, be very careful not to use excessive heat — the hanger will melt. A hair dryer should be fine (definitely not a paint stripper!).
Hey what's the name of these bolts and sleeves so I don't look a mug when I go the hardware shop

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

View attachment 631309

Sorry just clicked on the link , thanks a lot

Top Bottom