Tiagra 4700 front derailleur rub strip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
Hello folks,

Had a bit of trouble with my front derailleur mainly down to abuse on uphill gear changes and I threw the chain off; suffered a bit of collateral damage by ripping the plastic 'rub strip' off the interior of the chain guide - would there be somewhere I could source spares for this? It's the black bit near the bottom. Works fine, they just clip in, but the noise is going to drive me daft. Cheers in advance...
11159741-1344319655944085.jpg

U

User6179

Think someone else was on here a few weeks ago looking for the same thing, if my memory is correct then SJS cycles has them.

Skid plate Y5P116000
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-ultegra-fd6800-skid-plate-y5p116000/

Last edited by a moderator:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Never seen that rub strip before, I’m assuming it’s there to make shifting quieter. If you’re saying the noise is now coming from the chain rubbing constantly on the cage that needs to be adjusted out with the L screw. if it’s just while changing carry on.

Never seen that rub strip before, I’m assuming it’s there to make shifting quieter. If you’re saying the noise is now coming from the chain rubbing constantly on the cage that needs to be adjusted out with the L screw. if it’s just while changing carry on.
The Tiagra 4700 on my Triban 560 has a barrel adjuster on the cable, by the bars, it does require 'dynamic tuning' to prevent rubbing. Turning the barrel clockwise, moves the mech outwards, turning it anti clockwise moves it inwards. The simple mnemonic is think 'clock out'.

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
Thanks everyone, I assume it is more to do with noise damping on changing but who knows - I'll order a couple of spare plates and have a go at adjusting that barrel as you suggest RR as it is a persistent rub in 3 or 4 of the low gears.

Thanks everyone, I assume it is more to do with noise damping on changing but who knows - I'll order a couple of spare plates and have a go at adjusting that barrel as you suggest RR as it is a persistent rub in 3 or 4 of the low gears.
If you mean it's rubbing on the inside of the mech when on the big ring and the 3 or 4 biggest sprockets, you'll need to wind the mech inwards, so turn the adjuster anti clockwise. If it's rubbing on the outside edge of the mech, wind it clockwise, to move the mech outwards.

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
Might be worth checking the mech is parallel to the chain rings, given that it's suffered a bit of abuse.

It was due it's initial 'service' at decathlon so I took it in at weekend, one would assume they checked that given that I explained the issue on changing... I'll check it myself later but on my own brief inspection it looked OK.

iluvmybike

Über Member
These often do drop off and only cost about £2.99 to replace so good idea to keep a spare or two

Top Bottom