Tiagra - Temperamental rear derailleur?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you for your kind words.

When we (cycle mechanics) assemble a new bike or fit new cables we give the gear lever/shifter/brifter a good hard yank to take up any slack in the system. It's not 'cable stretch' but that's what we call it. Because it's easier than trying to invent a word or phrase which explains that under the compressive load of the good hard yank the cable barrel-end settles into it's home inside the lever, the multiple ends of the freshly cut cable outers settle in to their ferrules and the ferrules settle in to their new homes in the frame stops, shifter body and derailleur. If all of these tiny settles in add up to just one millimeter then the rear derailleur will require an adjust at the cable barrel. And that's the whole story.

'Wear' of the nylon liner of the cable outer casing has nothing to do with it.
Any good mechanic will, as you say, give it a good hard yank to "pre-stretch" and even beforehand push hard on the housing in the ferrule to make sure it is seated. And we do that with significant force, as I'm sure you'll agree. Yet, cable settings still go out. This is not from further settling but from liner wear. Cut open a used housing and inspect the liner. The best place to notice that without trying to do a difficult post mortem on a hard cable housing is to pull the nylon liner out from a V-pipe, the little noodle on a B-brake's one arm. Wear is clear and distinctive.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
The difference in weight is quite phenomenal as well. It isn't all that obvious when you handle only the high-end product but if you handle both, the difference is startling.
Do you know what the comparative weights are for DA/105/Tiagra etc? I've just spent an hour trying to find spec listings of weights for 2015 Shimano and Sram groupsets with no success...

Do you know what the comparative weights are for DA/105/Tiagra etc? I've just spent an hour trying to find spec listings of weights for 2015 Shimano and Sram groupsets with no success...
No sorry. I don't play the weight game. I merely observed that a comparison is interesting. You may want to try www.si.shimano.com and look at the technical specifications of the components. It may list weights. (download the entire manual, it is easier to work with offline). But I don't know where to find SRAM docs.

RebornBumbler

Go to the site (http://si.shimano.com)

At the bottom left is a link titled "Specifications" - click on that

A new page appears, and at the top is a link titled "Download full book of Specifications" - click on that

Download the PDF and read it.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Go to the site (http://si.shimano.com)

At the bottom left is a link titled "Specifications" - click on that

A new page appears, and at the top is a link titled "Download full book of Specifications" - click on that

Download the PDF and read it.
Tiagra rear mech weight? Have YOU actually read it? EasyPeez was asking about the comparative weights, I was interested too, Dura Ace 158gm, Tiagra RD4601SS/GS, average weight - ?

My RD5701 GS is 235grms, my older RD3300 GS is 287grms, a couple of M.T.B. RD'd M430 Alivo 283grms and a M360 Acera 307grms.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Thanks for the replies.
I did try Shimano's website and found the Specification booklet but it lists all the parts separately and not all seem to have a weight specified. I was hoping they might provide a weight for the full groupset somewhere. Thanks anyway.
I found this comparison of SRAM & Shimano groupsets but it's for 2014 kit and doesn't go as low as Tiagra.

http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Component-Weights/cc-8.aspx

Ah well, was just curious. I'm guessing based on that link that Tiagra must weigh in at around 450-600g more than Ultegra and around 600-750g heavier than SRAM Force.

Top Bottom