Time for a waterproof pannier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another wet ride today and another dose of soggy pannier contents.

My basic Edinburgh Bicycles panniers have done well in other respects, but they do let in water.

So what to buy?

I don't expect a diver's watch level of waterproofness, but I would like something that resists moderate rain.

I would prefer an external pocket or two, which I realise can compromise the waterproofing.

Budget is not a huge concern, but I would need some persuading to spend more than £100 on a pair.

Any thoughts or recommendations welcome.

doog

Worth sticking a rubble sack in your pannier cut to size..? ..last resort I know but Ive toured for years using this method

Otherwise Ortliebs I guess, I think they do an external pocket now on something I read recently.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I bought a pair of Altura Arc Roll Top Panniers (From Evans)

Used one of them today on an Audax where it rained solidly for 5 hours, also on a few commutes with heavy rain. Contents stay absolutely bone dry.
Though no external pockets.

Very impressed.

Search around for cheaper prices that Evans will price match.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Another for Ortlieb! I've been using my set for commuting duties for 7 years approximately, and the still don't let in the rain.

Blurb

Über Member
I use cheapo panniers, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PANNIER-B...588023?hash=item25bdd42977:g:OYkAAOSw9eVXWV99 , and use a couple of these http://groceries.asda.com/product/b...by-you-extra-strong-diy-rubble-sacks/18810123
first one lines the bag, then a tupperware box to keep the panniers' shape, then second bag for the contents. Hand-roll up the top of the sacks to seal. When you reach your destination just lift out the inner bag.
I've been doing this on the commute for years in heavy rain up to an hour each way and have never had any water ingress.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought a pair of Ortlieb Back Roller Classics nine years ago and they are just wonderful, completely waterproof, and tough as old boots. A great investment. Clipping them on and off a rack is the work of a five seconds or less.

Just fantastic.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies.

I thought the answer to the new pannier question might be Ortleib or Altura.

Looks like the 'standard' Ortleib back rollers are 20l, which is a bit big for me.

The Altura linked by @ianrauk is 15l, and I don't doubt he's given them a sterner test than I ever would.

Dry bags - or a homemade version - would be the most cost effective choice.

Would work well enough for my purpose, which is mostly leisure weekend riding.

@annedonnelly - no covers with mine.

My stuff seems to get wet from the bottom up, so I'm guessing the water is coming off the wheel through the back/bottom of the pannier.

A cover might help seal the bottom, but I reckon the water would still find it's way in via the back.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I know a friend who uses the Ortlieb front rollers on the rear to have a smaller bag.

My previous panniers (Dawes - rubbish, lasted 18 months with gaffa tape) had those waterproof covers, but it was a pain having to stop and put them on whereas you don't even have to think about the rain, other than checking you've closed the pannier. And the waterproofness goes around the back too.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I know a friend who uses the Ortlieb front rollers on the rear to have a smaller bag.

My previous panniers (Dawes - rubbish, lasted 18 months with gaffa tape) had those waterproof covers, but it was a pain having to stop and put them on whereas you don't even have to think about the rain, other than checking you've closed the pannier. And the waterproofness goes around the back too.

Using the smaller fronts on the back hadn't occurred to me, which it should have done.

Suppose I thought they wouldn't fit, but of course they would.

Looks like the basic City version is 'only' £65 a pair - not too bad for full on, bombproof, waterproof, Ortlieb pannier goodness.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Commuting is the hardest use for any bike or accessory, so anything that stands up to four years of it must be good.

Twenty litres is bit too big for me, not least because I wear size 11s on the bike which, in any event, doesn't have loads of heel clearance.

Top Bottom