Time for another 'problems down below' thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
Well, not that bad but I'm having real problems shifting some sore (raw, broken red) skin around my leg creases. It started with a couple of long rides with no chamois cream or vaseline etc. and has stayed probably because I didn't treat it right away and because I do a 3 miles each way work journey without shorts.

Any ideas of the best way to approach this before going to the docs?

yenrod

You've got to practice 'the ride with your legs wide apart chavy way of riding' !

No - seriously, it can be sorted but the chafing does nothing to sort it as I've had it too.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Try the alternative to sudacrem... calendula cream. I was advised by my doc (Stoke Lane, homeopathic tendancies) to use it on my babies when they had nappy rash. It cleared it all up far better than sudacrem which is just a barrier cream. We have always used it on sore skin since. Boots does it, as does the chemist at the top of Blackboy Hill.

yello

I use conotrane for milder rashes or daktarin if things are really looking red and angry. Both are available from the chemist without prescription nor embarrassment :smile:

skwerl

summerdays said:
Try the alternative to sudacrem... calendula cream. I was advised by my doc (Stoke Lane, homeopathic tendancies) to use it on my babies when they had nappy rash. It cleared it all up far better than sudacrem which is just a barrier cream. We have always used it on sore skin since. Boots does it, as does the chemist at the top of Blackboy Hill.

well not quite. Sudocrem has zinc in it. Zinc's a natural antibiotic

skwerl

GrahamG said:
Well, not that bad but I'm having real problems shifting some sore (raw, broken red) skin around my leg creases. It started with a couple of long rides with no chamois cream or vaseline etc. and has stayed probably because I didn't treat it right away and because I do a 3 miles each way work journey without shorts.

Any ideas of the best way to approach this before going to the docs?

maybe stop riding 'til it clears up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sudocrem after every ride, and use propper shorts - good ones. I made that mistake last winter (ie. couldn't be bothered), and chaffed badly, and as a 6 day a week rider 15-25 miles a day, it can take some time to fix up......

Problems now sorted, and has been fine since..

Good cycling shorts, use a shammy cream, or for non-specific (i.e. cheap) - emolument cream - I use a little each ride, and it costs £2.50ish for 500ml tubs - works well.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
Thanks for the comments all - I think I'll take a week off and sparingly apply something other than sudacrem!

Fossy - that's a good reminder to be more vigilant with these things!

Jonathan M

If you're happy it is just chafage then a barrier cream should be sufficient, probably needing some time off the bike.

But could it be fungal aka athletes jock? Any red spotty bits around the broken area?

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
No red spotty bits - am totally happy that it isn't fungal! I've been off the bike a couple of days now (I'm normally 6 or 7 days a week, even if only a few miles) and been religiously applying nappy rash cream and it appears to have improved already.

Jonathan M

GrahamG said:
No red spotty bits - am totally happy that it isn't fungal! I've been off the bike a couple of days now (I'm normally 6 or 7 days a week, even if only a few miles) and been religiously applying nappy rash cream and it appears to have improved already.

Fair enough, just always worth thinking about fungal if it is in sweaty skin folds and not settling after a couple of days.

Top Bottom