Time to cut the iphone apron strings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I got my iphone about 4.5 years ago. I was instantly in love with it as it was jus so easy to use compared to others that I'd had previously.

I still have the same phone, I think it's an iphone 4. I mainly use it for the obvious calling and texting, but I also use it A LOT for social media mainly facbook and cyclechat, I can access my work emails on it, use it for train times etc, map my ride, google calandar, gmail.

Have always loved it, but the last few weeks its started to really fail me. At themoment it's refusing to send texts to any none iphone. It's refusingto make and recive calls.
I suspect thi is because I'm using an old version of OS, but I don't have a computer at the mo so can't back up and update for various reaons.
Because of our funny lifestyle (OH has a two centre life and lives away 2 -4 days aweek, depending on when he has contact with his kids) we've "googleized our lives and we have shared google calendars and documents on google drive, but I'm finding them quite difficult to access on the iphone as my OS is too old.

I'm at a loss really. There's an IT chap locally who does a service where he can get your phone running - I think basically I need to sort out the photo storage as its using up all the memory and update the OS.
BUT I've just got a Motorla Moto G for my son. Its a fairly budget smart phone capped at 11GBP per month. I haven't given it to him yet as he's been at his Dad's for a couple of days so I've been fiddling with the parental controls and general settings and have to say, it's absolutely fantastic!
It does everything I need and seems much better than my iphone. It seems geared up for the google chrome and drive thingies, which suits my needs perfectly.

I'm now wondering whether to abandon my iphone and get one of these moto g's myself or to spend money getting my iphone sorted.

Any techno smarty pant's got any opinions?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I have the Moto G and as far as I am concerned it is one of the best phones on the market.

I used to be paying £36 per month on a contract with a Galaxy S3 then I bought the Moto G for £115 from tesco and unlocked it via a code from ebay for £1.99 and went to a Sim Only contract, I now pay £14.99 per month for exactly the same deal I was on before.

I wouldnt call the Moto G a budget phone it is a very good spec phone and it will give a lot of the high end phones a run for their money.

TVC

If you are after something new then check out some of the deals. I got a free tablet with my phone - which I'm typing this on. So the phone gets used for calls and texts, and the tsablet is used for surfing, e-mail, games, and this when I'm in wifi range.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Buy an iPhone 6. It's awesome. You instantly become 7.9 times sexier than you were before.
Well, this is the thing - having used my sons new phone I'm left wondering what the point is in splashing ot all the extra money for an iphone.
In fact I'm not prepared to. So my options are either somehow sort out the iphone 4 (which seems like a pain in the arse) or swop to this new phone.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've gone back to a normal phone and use a Garmin for recording my rides. 35+ day battery life on stand by, never fails to get a signal, and I don't feel like im a slave to it.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Well, this is the thing - having used my sons new phone I'm left wondering what the point is in splashing ot all the extra money for an iphone.
In fact I'm not prepared to. So my options are either somehow sort out the iphone 4 (which seems like a pain in the arse) or swop to this new phone.

It's a no brainer Sara. You spen money on the phone and you have a repaired 4.5 year old phone which is out of step with the Apple ecosystem. The Moto_G is better at doing what you need and is not much more than the cost of a repair. You can also sell the iPhone on to recoup some of the expenditure. The going rate is around £45.

jim55

Guru
Yeah iPhones are overrated ,Iv had various incarnations as it's what I knew and Iv upgraded as they've released a new one , just changed to an htc one m8 ( on android ) and it's far better in every way .
Apple have brainwashed people when it's style over substance ,iPhone is not as good in gen but everybody clam ours for one thinking they're the best , ditch it , you won't look back

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
It's a no brainer Sara. You spen money on the phone and you have a repaired 4.5 year old phone which is out of step with the Apple ecosystem. The Moto_G is better at doing what you need and is not much more than the cost of a repair. You can also sell the iPhone on to recoup some of the expenditure. The going rate is around £45.
I think its a no brainer too.

But, just to demonstrate what a complete and utter technofool I am,I currently have about 2000 photo's trapped inside my iphone. Some but not most have been uploaded.

How do I liberate them en masse quickly and easly before I cut it off?

Top Bottom