Time to cut the iphone apron strings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
[QUOTE 3564507, member: 259"]Oh, I see. I've had a few problems, but I've always been able to correct it with the 'fix match' button.[/QUOTE]
The novelty soon wears off when you have several hundred CDs from the 80s and early 90s! And they seem to be the ones least likely to match for the whole album.

Cyclist33

I got my iphone about 4.5 years ago. I was instantly in love with it as it was jus so easy to use compared to others that I'd had previously.

I still have the same phone, I think it's an iphone 4. I mainly use it for the obvious calling and texting, but I also use it A LOT for social media mainly facbook and cyclechat, I can access my work emails on it, use it for train times etc, map my ride, google calandar, gmail.

Have always loved it, but the last few weeks its started to really fail me. At themoment it's refusing to send texts to any none iphone. It's refusingto make and recive calls.
I suspect thi is because I'm using an old version of OS, but I don't have a computer at the mo so can't back up and update for various reaons.
Because of our funny lifestyle (OH has a two centre life and lives away 2 -4 days aweek, depending on when he has contact with his kids) we've "googleized our lives and we have shared google calendars and documents on google drive, but I'm finding them quite difficult to access on the iphone as my OS is too old.

I'm at a loss really. There's an IT chap locally who does a service where he can get your phone running - I think basically I need to sort out the photo storage as its using up all the memory and update the OS.
BUT I've just got a Motorla Moto G for my son. Its a fairly budget smart phone capped at 11GBP per month. I haven't given it to him yet as he's been at his Dad's for a couple of days so I've been fiddling with the parental controls and general settings and have to say, it's absolutely fantastic!
It does everything I need and seems much better than my iphone. It seems geared up for the google chrome and drive thingies, which suits my needs perfectly.

I'm now wondering whether to abandon my iphone and get one of these moto g's myself or to spend money getting my iphone sorted.

Any techno smarty pant's got any opinions?
chuck your iphone in the bin, start living permanently with the oh instead of part time, and form more meaningful real world relationships...

albion

Guru
iPhone to iPhone text messages are converted to iMessages are are indeed sent via wifi when available. That's one of the key reasons I say it sounds like the phone is fine and the issue is with the SIM.
Yes, and it is then not really a text but thus becomes an IM not an SMS, a bit on the strange side, an IM that is only ever made available to walled garden devices.

I'd really rule out memory stopping stuff working. And anyway, you would likely be able to uninstall just the one app to test that theory.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
The non iPhone SMS bit alightly threw me. I'm left wondering if Sara is sending messages via iMessage and Wifi.
She does infer that some messages get through to iPhone users and nothing else.

A tech savvy 10 year old kid would diagnose it quickly. Obviously, if hardware fault it simply ain't worth fixing.
Flog it on ebay and I bet some fool might pay £40 or so for it.
As far as calls and texts go, its all very unreliable. at the minute I don't seem to be recieving any calls at all. They're all going to voicemail, then at some point I get a text saying I've got a voicemail.
Outgoing calls generally come up with a message saying call failed and a beeping noise.
Outgoing texts get a red exclaimation mark next to them saying no sent. If I turn it off and then back on again it will usually then send the message, but reverts back to the same problem if I try to send another message.
Calls and texts to my OH seem to work better, though he can't call me. I've a feeling that on the occasions it does work the recipient is an iphone user. I have wondered also if the only time its working its working on wifi.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Easily confirmed: go into Settings and switch off wifi, then try to send a message to an iPhone user.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I bought the first Moto G when it first came out and it's a fantastic phone. I then sold it and got the 2014 model with a bigger 5" screen, exactly the same hardware though, and it also has an SD card slot which is a bonus. Brilliant phones and as many other people have stated, the savings on SIM only are quite vast.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Hmmm.... just di it and the message was delivered.
I'm flummoxed!
In which case, I would do this:

1. Make sure your phone is backed-up (on iCloud, in iTunes or both)
2. Make sure you know your Apple ID and password
3. Remove and clean the SIM contacts, then reinsert
4. Do a factory reset of the phone: http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201351
5. Re-activate (you will need your Apple ID for this) and restore from backup (ditto)

Step 5 is best done just before you go to bed as it can take a few hours to restore everything.

Top Bottom