Time to cut the iphone apron strings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I agree with trikeman,

But I've got a moto g dual sim phone, it's a ok phone, I can use two different sim cards , receive texts from both sims at the same time, great, but its not 4G, and last update, was a nightmare, (4.0.2) nearly throw it the wall a few times, but now it's working ok,

So, would I recommend the moto g, no, is the answer, for the same price , (Amazon) I got a nexus 5, which is 4G
But not dual sim, so I've to carry two phones around with me all day.
Hope this helps.
The newest version of the Moto G is now 4G. Was released a few months ago. Same processor as previous generation though. It does now have a slightly bigger screen but retains same resolution, which makes no sense to me.
Mine (last gen) one got an over the air update to 4.4.4. No bother with it at all.
Is yours a non-UK phone? Mine is and only uses a single SIM

U

User19783

The newest version of the Moto G is now 4G. Was released a few months ago. Same processor as previous generation though. It does now have a slightly bigger screen but retains same resolution, which makes no sense to me.
Mine (last gen) one got an over the air update to 4.4.4. No bother with it at all.
Is yours a non-UK phone? Mine is and only uses a single SIM

Sorry mine is the 2nd gen and the version 5.0.1,

andyfraser

Über Member
[QUOTE 3562972, member: 259"]I have an iPhone for work and a Nexus 5 (Android) for me.

To be honest, the Android experience isn't as good as the IOS experience, where everything is so tightly integrated.

But iPhones are too bloody expensive, so there's no way I'd buy one for myself.

If you can get a good deal by switching contract, I"d go for a new iPhone.

If you have to buy one, I'd go for an Android (or even, gasp, a Windows phone:ohmy:).[/QUOTE]
I tend to find iOS is excellent if you're using Apple services. I found Mail works with Gmail but doesn't allow push, only syncing every X minutes with 15 being the minimum. iOS didn't work with all my Google Calendars without some messing around and my Gmail contacts weren't completely compatible with the fields in iOS's contacts. Google themselves don't help matters. There's no Calendar or Contacts app and I found the Gmail app for iOS clunky, didn't always work properly and sometimes mail wouldn't be delivered until I opened the app. Google Play Music was almost unusable.

If you use a lot of Google services then Android is the better choice. As you'd expect all of Google's services integrate well and work with Google Now. Android isn't as clunky as it was and apps have more freedom to work with the OS. I was never able to find a podcast app, other than Apple's, that would sync in the background flawlessly. There are at least half a dozen good ones on Android that work flawlessly.

NB My experiences of iOS are based on everyday use up to 18 months ago then occasional use since then.

andyfraser

Über Member
Why on earth would you be using Google Calendars, Gmail or Google Contacts? Google stuff is awful - it makes Microshaft look good....
I've been using Gmail since it was invite only so over 10 years. I've tried all sorts of free email products and Gmail has been the best by far. I've been using Gmail with third party mail clients over IMAP for 6 or 7 years but I really like Inbox so use that now.

I've been using Google Calendar for over 7 years and it's been flawless too. Microsoft's Outlook.com calendar might be better but not by enough to get me to switch. The integration between Gmail and Calendar with Google Now is very useful.

Google Contacts is a bit crap but it does what I want and integrates with Gmail so I use it. It is quite flexible when you get into it. Third party contact apps don't play well with it unless they're specifically designed to.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Why on earth would you be using Google Calendars, Gmail or Google Contacts? Google stuff is awful - it makes Microshaft look good....
We use the google calendar and docs mostly, as we can both access it from our phones/computers.
Oh also uses it for helping his son with his homework even when they're not together.

Quite handy.

andyfraser

Über Member
I use google drive for docs and stuff, I like it. I remember our software company laughing at us when we changed over to Outlook.
Thanks to Docs and Sheets in Google Drive I've ditched MS Office and LibreOffice.

It's a shame Google Drive duplicates files and on one occasion deleted a file I'd uploaded otherwise I'd have paid for more space and used it for more things. As it is Dropbox is better for that (30 day version history and file undelete) so I pay them for 1TB instead.

andyfraser

Über Member
[QUOTE 3564414, member: 259"]Funny - I've never seen that problem and by a combination of circumstances I have 30GB free storage on Google Drive. I'll have to check that.

We use Google Drive, GMail, Chrome, Google Calendars and Google+ on the Mac. I prefer them to Apple's offerings. Google Calendar is miles better than Apple's calendar, but you can synch them very easily.

For cloud office stuff we usually use the Apple ones, which are easier to use for the kids (and me!).
I have free 1TB OneDrive with Office 365, but I don't tend to use it much.[/QUOTE]
I have 125GB on Google Drive thanks to various offers. It seems fine if I add a few files but I decided to bulk upload some music files. It would either duplicate a file locally i.e. there'd be "01 Song Title.mp3" and "01 Song Title(1).mp3" or duplicate a file remotely so same thing but in the Drive app. I don't know whether it's due to bulk uploading or a general bug. Couple that with deleting a file without my input and I decided I didn't trust it for storing my files.

andyfraser

Über Member
[QUOTE 3564441, member: 259"]For music, I don't manually upload, I rip on iTunes, then Google Music automatically synchs with iTunes and uploads them to the cloud, and I can play them on the Android phone or on a browser in the office.[/QUOTE]
My music is synced with Google Music too. It's fine most of the time but I don't like that it matches some tracks rather than uploads. I have albums that are half uploaded and half matched and the sound and volume changes between the two types of track. It's most noticeable on rips of CDs from the 80s which seem generally quieter than the digital versions in Google Music. It's a real pain to fix. I just wanted a straight backup of the actual tracks.

albion

Guru
If you read the OP, you'll see that it is not making calls.

The non iPhone SMS bit alightly threw me. I'm left wondering if Sara is sending messages via iMessage and Wifi.
She does infer that some messages get through to iPhone users and nothing else.

A tech savvy 10 year old kid would diagnose it quickly. Obviously, if hardware fault it simply ain't worth fixing.
Flog it on ebay and I bet some fool might pay £40 or so for it.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
iPhone to iPhone text messages are converted to iMessages are are indeed sent via wifi when available. That's one of the key reasons I say it sounds like the phone is fine and the issue is with the SIM.

Top Bottom