Time to cut the iphone apron strings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think its a no brainer too.

But, just to demonstrate what a complete and utter technofool I am,I currently have about 2000 photo's trapped inside my iphone. Some but not most have been uploaded.

How do I liberate them en masse quickly and easly before I cut it off?
You mentioned having a google account, I've got google plus which I don't use for anything other than it backs up all my photos on my phone. It will take a little while to do 2000 but not excessively long.

Edit: just read that you can't download it.

Well all you need is the cable, and someone else's computer .... That you don't mind loading the photos onto.... Siblings?, friends etc, then copy them onto a memory stick?

subaqua

What’s the point
I used to be quite anti-iPhone (Mr R was an early adopter and buys the next thing as soon as it's released). Then I got one for work and that lead me to get one for me.

I've changed jobs since and moved back to a work Blackberry. Everyone can't wait until we move over to iPhone later this year.

I'm afraid I'm a convert. I even have an iPad Air (which I'm typing on now).

similar here. was a blackberry user ( personal phone and it was great for what I needed it for. work was a nokia 3109 - yes a basic phone which again was great.

then we got given iphones and i refused for 6 months to set up an apple ID and download any Apps. then i put the 6 nations app on and that led to my downfall.

my personal blackberry is now on a £3 a month contract for use when i am on holiday and divert the iphone to the office.

work then got us ipad airs. which are stonkingly good. daughter has an iphone and wifey looks to be getting one in April when phone is up for renewal

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
You mentioned having a google account, I've got google plus which I don't use for anything other than it backs up all my photos on my phone. It will take a little while to do 2000 but not excessively long.

Edit: just read that you can't download it.

Well all you need is the cable, and someone else's computer .... That you don't mind loading the photos onto.... Siblings?, friends etc, then copy them onto a memory stick?
I've been in touch with the tech man hes going to putthem onto my external hard drive. Hurrah! Thismeans I can get on with finding a new phone.

I've currently got a SIM only deal with 3 mobile on a rolling monthly contract. Thinking of buying a SIM free moto g and continuing with that. Doed anyone know if thee SIM from my iphone will just go in the Moto G?

cheys03

Veteran
IAt themoment it's refusing to send texts to any none iphone. It's refusingto make and recive calls.
This may be a problem with your SIM or network - I'd try the SIM in another phone that's unlocked or on the same network, then see if the other phone has the same symptoms too.
If you do need a new phone I'm a big fan of iOS and iPhones personally, but acknowledge they're not for everyone. It all depends on your personal needs and wants. As others have recommended, the Moto G is superb value if you were looking towards Android

midlife

Guru
IPhone 4 sometimes has a bit if a wobbly and tries to use the apple iPhone messaging service thing and not the normal SMS text service. There's a switch that turns this feature off somewhere.
The call failure seems like a network problem?

Shaun

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have the Moto G and as far as I am concerned it is one of the best phones on the market.

I used to be paying £36 per month on a contract with a Galaxy S3 then I bought the Moto G for £115 from tesco and unlocked it via a code from ebay for £1.99 and went to a Sim Only contract, I now pay £14.99 per month for exactly the same deal I was on before.

I wouldnt call the Moto G a budget phone it is a very good spec phone and it will give a lot of the high end phones a run for their money.
I have a moto e , on payg as a tenner will last about 4 months on giff gaff and although its not as good spec as yours i agree they are cracking phones for the money .

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I haven't got a PC at the minute, and for various reasons haven't accessed my itunes or icloud for a couple of years. Don't seem to be able to access them from thephone or tablet that I'm using.

I'm one of those very silly people who's photos are trapped in the phone, and phone has been my main camera too in that time.

I'm hoping the IT person will be able to plug my phone in and get the photo's out and onto disc for me.
You should still be able to upload the trapped images to google drive or another cloud storage service from your phone internet browser to the site directly.

If you have a lot to do, you're best doing it in chunks of images, when in the day you pick can determine how many is best in one chunk. I'd recommend overnight, ensure its plugged into charge as you go to bed and set a good few hundred to upload as you sleep.

I'm windows phone and OneDrive (ex SkyDrive) and have succumbed to having my photos, saved images etc auto upload to my cloud storage.

I have everything I need and want on windows phone and it is less faffy by far IMO than my android tablet & phones I've had and I prefer its simplicity to set up & use to iPhones I've used.

There are quality apps for everything I need, not in as copious quantity as the other 2 and its clearly seen as the 3rd wheel in the developer market but is plenty enough for even quite a geeky heavy duty user like me. The one thing missing vs the other 2 platforms is a 3rd party app for playing embedded flash vids on webpages.

Last edited:

albion

Guru
I thought that if you left Apple you do not receive texts until you actually tell Apple.

So if your friends are ex iPhone owners this is likely why.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I thought that if you left Apple you do not receive texts until you actually tell Apple.

So if your friends are ex iPhone owners this is likely why.
no, its happened quite suddenly and to most of my contacts inclusing many who I know have never had an a iphone.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Have always loved it, but the last few weeks its started to really fail me. At themoment it's refusing to send texts to any none iphone. It's refusingto make and recive calls.
That's far more likely to be a duff SIM (or SIM connection) than a duff phone. Remove the SIM tray, give the SIM contacts a clean and put it back – and if that doesn't work get a replacement SIM.

albion

Guru
Nope, if the phone functions it is nothing whatsoever to do with the Sim.

If not what I mentioned then it has to be the the SMS settings.
Sara, google SMS manual settings for iPhone 4.

You simply have a missing setting, assuming that iMessage thing had nothing to do with it. Apple is in a world of its own but it will still be dead simple once you know how.

U

User19783

That's far more likely to be a duff SIM (or SIM connection) than a duff phone. Remove the SIM tray, give the SIM contacts a clean and put it back – and if that doesn't work get a replacement SIM.

I agree with trikeman,

But I've got a moto g dual sim phone, it's a ok phone, I can use two different sim cards , receive texts from both sims at the same time, great, but its not 4G, and last update, was a nightmare, (4.0.2) nearly throw it the wall a few times, but now it's working ok,

So, would I recommend the moto g, no, is the answer, for the same price , (Amazon) I got a nexus 5, which is 4G
But not dual sim, so I've to carry two phones around with me all day.
Hope this helps.

albion

Guru
Guys, a SIM is a fairly simple authentication device.
If the phone is making calls authentication is working.

You appear to be inventing a mechanical problem for it

Top Bottom