time to p*** off the motorists again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
Will there be a similar test for some cyclists :whistle:

no but I would like to see cycle training in the education syllabus. i don't remember the figures but most accidents between cyclists and motorists are caused by motorists I am sure somebody will be along to give the figures and details

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I have a better idea, seeing as the lovely tarmac roads that cyclists love so much are paid for by the massive rates of VED and fuel paid for by car drivers, why don't we make a law that cycles have to have their own VED and insurance before they are allowed on the road.
I also suggest that seeing as the most petrol hungry cars contribute the most money to the exchequer, we should have special lanes on all the motorways for any car over three litres or any car with more than 200 bhp.
We could invent a special rule where cyclists who have road bikes pay more in VED as they cannot survive without the roads paid for by car drivers. MTB'ers don't need roads so they can pay less. Obviously cyclists who have high powered cars get heavy discounts on VED. Also any roadie in team colours lycra should get an extra penalty as punishment for looking like a dick.
What a fantastic post but in future it might be a great idea to do some research before posting such a thing.

VED doesn't pay for the roads
Not all motorised vehicles pay VED
Motorised vehicles cause significantly more damage to the roads when compared to a bicycle.

OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
The cycling casualty rate in the UK is very low so why not just find ways to encourage more people on to bicycles which has been shown to be the most effective way to reduce cycling casualties on the road.

maybe so but I think it would also cut down accidents between motor vehicles you are never going to stop accidents or driver inattention but this may help a little.

Re: rowan 46 & gaz responses to elements post on VED.

I can just hear the sound of the line whipping off the reel. I think you protest too fast, I read it as a satirical post putting forward the standard driver position with a bit of embelishment.

element

Car drivers pay a shoot load of money in taxes for the honour of driving on the roads, the roads are built and paid for by car drivers, you can argue the semantics all you like car drivers pay a fortune and without that money to the exchequer we would not have those lovely smooth roads. Do you really think that without car drivers paying we would have a tarmac road network ?
Some people need to get real.

element

Re: rowan 46 & gaz responses to elements post on VED.

I can just hear the sound of the line whipping off the reel. I think you protest too fast, I read it as a satirical post putting forward the standard driver position with a bit of embelishment.

Actually to start with I was taking the piss but the line about car drivers not paying for the roads had me caught hook line and sinker.

sabian92

Über Member
Car drivers pay a shoot load of money in taxes for the honour of driving on the roads, the roads are built and paid for by car drivers, you can argue the semantics all you like car drivers pay a fortune and without that money to the exchequer we would not have those lovely smooth roads. Do you really think that without car drivers paying we would have a tarmac road network ?

Get ready to raise your flameproof shield in 5..4..3..2..1..

Oh, and while I'm at it, you're a moron. I'd say what I actually want but i'd be banned.

snorri

Legendary Member
It's a good idea to post a smiley a little below the end of posts of this nature, this indicates to the reader that you are joking and avoids accusations of trolling as there are still some people around who believe the UK motorist subsidises society when of course the reverse is true.:thumbsup:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I have a better idea, seeing as the lovely tarmac roads that cyclists love so much are paid for by the massive rates of VED and fuel paid for by car drivers, why don't we make a law that cycles have to have their own VED and insurance before they are allowed on the road.

Slow clap.

Parrot of Doom

Roads are surfaced with asphalt, you don't seem to know what it is you drive on.

I drive a 4 litre V8 Lexus and I think that as much as I pay in duty, cyclists have more claim to the roads than I do.

By the way, historically it was cyclists who prompted local authorities to tarmac roads. Not motorists.

adds21

Rider of bikes

Damn right. And I pay for the hospitals though my tax and NI, so anyone not paying tax and NI can bloody well sort out their own injuries... :whistle:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Damn right. And I pay for the hospitals though my tax and NI, so anyone not paying tax and NI can bloody well sort out their own injuries... :whistle:

Think of the tax you pay on beer! Surely those freeloading soft drink drinkers shouldn't be entitled to YOUR bar stools?

OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
Think of the tax you pay on beer! Surely those freeloading soft drink drinkers shouldn't be entitled to YOUR bar stools?

I don't care who has my stools anyone can have them.
whistling.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom