time to p*** off the motorists again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rowan 46

Über Member
I haven't said anything to annoy motorists in a while (if ever ) so I thought I would have a go at putting forward my idea of improving road safety. It goes something like this. Most people are online or have access to computers so I propose that the perception test for drivers is posted online with every driver having to retake it every 12 months 3 attempts to get it right if you fail after 3. A mandatory full re test The purpose of this would be to remind drivers to be aware of their surroundings and stop them driving on automatic. (Hang on a minute while I get my flak gear)

Ahem that would be a government IT project therefore not a problem as it would be late, over budget, not work and get cancelled :thumbsup:
Would this include the ability to recognise an approaching bike or would BSOs have to covered as well?

pally83

Über Member
I don't think you go far enough. The hazard perception test can be passed quite easily with a few random clicks so long as you're not daft with it.

The greatest single thing that could be done to improve road safety is to improve training before the test. Align the current test with an advanced test such as that from the IAM (of which I am a member, having scored full marks on every section of the test :biggrin:) or RoSPA and better educate new drivers on safe driving. Hopefully, as a side effect, better training would reduce insurance premiums.

I think that 'refresher training' should be mandatory for all drivers after, say, 5 years in order to reduce complacency. But this would only work if the existing standards were sufficiently high.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I think the standard of driving is quite high in the UK, compared to other countries I've visited. Is there really a need for such an expensive, difficult-to-implement policy as the one suggested in the OP?

element

I have a better idea, seeing as the lovely tarmac roads that cyclists love so much are paid for by the massive rates of VED and fuel paid for by car drivers, why don't we make a law that cycles have to have their own VED and insurance before they are allowed on the road.
I also suggest that seeing as the most petrol hungry cars contribute the most money to the exchequer, we should have special lanes on all the motorways for any car over three litres or any car with more than 200 bhp.
We could invent a special rule where cyclists who have road bikes pay more in VED as they cannot survive without the roads paid for by car drivers. MTB'ers don't need roads so they can pay less. Obviously cyclists who have high powered cars get heavy discounts on VED. Also any roadie in team colours lycra should get an extra penalty as punishment for looking like a dick.

element

The cycling casualty rate in the UK is very low so why not just find ways to encourage more people on to bicycles which has been shown to be the most effective way to reduce cycling casualties on the road.

element

Make skate boarders wear number plates and pay road tax !!!!

NO make skateboarders wear proper fitting trousers and make a law that any citizen within sight of a baggy trouser wearer MUST attempt to pull those baggy trousers down to the wearers ankles.

OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
My reason for posting was not so much that I feel the general standard of driving is so bad it's just that motorists get complacent . there are regular near misses caused by drivers inattention. it strikes me that anyone who cannot pass the present perception test within 3 attempts has no right to be on the road. I am not trying to force drivers off the road just reminding them to think when they are on it.

OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
I have a better idea, seeing as the lovely tarmac roads that cyclists love so much are paid for by the massive rates of VED and fuel paid for by car drivers, why don't we make a law that cycles have to have their own VED and insurance before they are allowed on the road.
I also suggest that seeing as the most petrol hungry cars contribute the most money to the exchequer, we should have special lanes on all the motorways for any car over three litres or any car with more than 200 bhp.
We could invent a special rule where cyclists who have road bikes pay more in VED as they cannot survive without the roads paid for by car drivers. MTB'ers don't need roads so they can pay less. Obviously cyclists who have high powered cars get heavy discounts on VED. Also any roadie in team colours lycra should get an extra penalty as punishment for looking like a dick.

roads are paid for by general taxation precisely to stop One set of users claiming ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom