time to p*** off the motorists again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adds21

Rider of bikes
Think of the tax you pay on beer! Surely those freeloading soft drink drinkers shouldn't be entitled to YOUR bar stools?

...And don't get me started on those freeloading school children. Having the cheek to learn at the school *I* pay for. Bet none of them have ever paid a penny in tax. Scroungers, the lot of them.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Car drivers pay a shoot load of money in taxes for the honour of driving on the roads, the roads are built and paid for by car drivers, you can argue the semantics all you like car drivers pay a fortune and without that money to the exchequer we would not have those lovely smooth roads. Do you really think that without car drivers paying we would have a tarmac road network ?
Some people need to get real.
Your argument is like stating that we can't live without smokers because they generate so much tax. It is of course bollocks because they generate costs!

I'll add that I will happy pay VED for my bicycle. Oh wait I already do.

Bicycle

I think the OP is quite right about motorists getting complacent. I think we all do from time to time.

I see it in drivers, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists. Nonetheless, I quite like the current system. It seems to work reasonably well.

I've been hurling my children onto bicycles and encouraging them to ride along sweeping, fast, rural A-Roads since they were tag-along age. They were out there in rain, shine and sleet.

They are now 12, 15 and 18 and all remain extant. All still ride for pleasure on those very same roads.

These roads are populated by vehicles of between one and forty-ish tonnes, travelling at between 50 and 90 mph with only a human being in charge of speed, direction and road position. Human frailty being what it is, I think that as a wider road-using community we do OK.

I am regularly staggered not by the carnage on UK roads, but by how few incidents and collisions there are in a system of shared-use infrastructure that would never get off the back of an envelope if designed from scratch today.

I've been bumped off my bicycle many times and absolutely walloped for six in car and on motorbike... but I glory in the barminess of it.

One test at seventeen* and then only money and good sense stand between you and 500 bhp. That's part of the romance of life, isn't it?

Even better, cyclists can propel themselves into that Rollerball nightmare without even passing a test or an assessment.

(* I refer to the test in place when I was 17)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
...And don't get me started on those freeloading school children. Having the cheek to learn at the school *I* pay for. Bet none of them have ever paid a penny in tax. Scroungers, the lot of them.

And you lot, walking between the streetlights *I* pay for, when I hardly EVER go out at nights. I'd put a coin meter on 'em. 5p a light, just enough time for you to walk briskly to the next one. (c) Mark Steele

no but I would like to see cycle training in the education syllabus. i don't remember the figures but most accidents between cyclists and motorists are caused by motorists I am sure somebody will be along to give the figures and details
Can't do that. Health and safety and the possibility of litigation.

Bicycle

Your argument is like stating that we can't live without smokers because they generate so much tax. It is of course bollocks because they generate costs!

A private healthcare provider carried out research about twenty years ago into whole-life healthcare costs for smokers and non-smokers.

Oddly, the cost for smokers was lower, as they generally miss out that bit of life near the end where costs are higher because of the frequent need for constant care.

Although smokers do get ill, they have a habit of getting very ill and dying (COPD, heart disease and various cancers).

I was amazed at the findings, but whenever I mention them a doctor nods sagely and says it is so.

I'd like to add, however, that as a former smoker I've paid all the taxes needed to care for me after the serious accident I'll inevitably had while cycling to regain my fitness after quitting. So there!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I am regularly staggered not by the carnage on UK roads, but by how few incidents and collisions there are in a system of shared-use infrastructure that would never get off the back of an envelope if designed from scratch today.

This is the Clarkson position, as I recall, that 3,000 or so deaths a year is something to be pleased with.

I think the "few" incidents arise at least partly from;

1) The motor car has largely bullied all but the brave, skilful or foolhardy from the roads.

2) The motorist has become increasingly well protected by their vehicle

3) A degree of "herd immunity" in which the careful compensate for people on their phones, reading books &c at the wheel. (Punishments for the latter being risible, and there being no sense that this is dangerous behaviour in the way that, say, drink driving is perceived to be).

4) "Forgiving" road design

element

Roads are surfaced with asphalt, you don't seem to know what it is you drive on.

I drive a 4 litre V8 Lexus and I think that as much as I pay in duty, cyclists have more claim to the roads than I do.

By the way, historically it was cyclists who prompted local authorities to tarmac roads. Not motorists.

Um no I think you y are wrong seeing as Asphault is the name given to the binding agent used to secure the aggregate in Asphault concrete which is one of many things that can be used to build roads including Tarmac.

You also have very bad taste on cars.

OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member

Annual revenue 2009/10 £8.779 billion (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/stats/tax_receipts/table1-2.pdf)
Cost to nhs £5.2 billion (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/5478135/Smoking-costs-the-NHS-more-than-5bn.html)
and of course smokers don't live so long so pensions don't have to be paid for so long. however taking the purely economic costs out that's too many people dying who don't need to

BSRU

A Human Being
A private healthcare provider carried out research about twenty years ago into whole-life healthcare costs for smokers and non-smokers.

Oddly, the cost for smokers was lower, as they generally miss out that bit of life near the end where costs are higher because of the frequent need for constant care.

Although smokers do get ill, they have a habit of getting very ill and dying (COPD, heart disease and various cancers).

I was amazed at the findings, but whenever I mention them a doctor nods sagely and says it is so.

I'd like to add, however, that as a former smoker I've paid all the taxes needed to care for me after the serious accident I'll inevitably had while cycling to regain my fitness after quitting. So there!

There was some research a while ago that basically stated the government should not be discouraging smokers, drinkers and the unfit as they die younger so the government saves all that pension money and all the associated care costs for pensioners. Non-drinking, non-smoking healthy people are a real drain on the countries finances :tongue:

element

Annual revenue 2009/10 £8.779 billion (http://www.hmrc.gov....ts/table1-2.pdf)
Cost to nhs £5.2 billion (http://www.telegraph...e-than-5bn.html)
and of course smokers don't live so long so pensions don't have to be paid for so long. however taking the purely economic costs out that's too many people dying who don't need to

5.2 billion refers to the care costs of people who smoke not the care costs of people sufering from health issues caused by smoking according to that article. Its a bit like the fallacy of man made global warming people ,with an agenda can bend the numbers to fit any theory they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom