Time trialling on a fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Do any of you guys TT on a fixed?

I've got this idea to have a crack at the club 10 on fixed next season. There are a couple of guys who ride it on fixed and they do it on old steel frame bikes that I think they've had since 'Adam were a lad'.
If you do, what frame set do you use? I've been looking at the Dolan pre cursa and Planet x track carbon. Both have issues, that are not insurmountable but I wonder what everyone else (if there is anyone) is using.

Yes, I've googled, been on the usual web sites, forums, but I appreciate and acknowledge as best, the CC advice:hugs:

Of course I could just slap a big gear on my current ride, but where's the fun in that:biggrin:

curzons246

Veteran
I dont time trial but I did read Beryl Burtons autobiography and she did most of records on a fixed gear with a 63T big gear lord she must have had a pair of legs.

oldroadman

Veteran
I dont time trial but I did read Beryl Burtons autobiography and she did most of records on a fixed gear with a 63T big gear lord she must have had a pair of legs.
Check history and old pictures. In the later stages of her career it was all gears, and big ones at that. Time traiiling on massive gears - like horizontal weightlifting and not nearly so much fun. Cadence of about 30, ridiculous.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do you ride fixed often ? If you do then it's no more difficult than finding the right gear to suit the cadence to the 'target' time.

Domeo

I used race the first month of the new season on fixed. As long as you can spin the gear it shouldn't do any harm. There are also medium gear TT's during the year.

I did one a couple of years ago on my fixed, stupidly it was a hilly spoco and part of the course was a very long downhill followed immediately by a very long climb, I still remember the pain as if it was yesterday. TT'ing on fixed isn't for everyone obviously, but can be great if the course isn't too lumpy, gently rolling is about the worst you would want it, spinning out is the worst thing. Frame not important so long as it isn't ridiculously heavy.

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
The course has a few ups and downs on it! The few steep ones have me down to around 17/18mph.
One of the guys rides 80 something inches, but I reckon that would be too spinny for me down a couple of the hills - a 48/14 combo would give me 91 inches, a 90rpm speed of 24mph, while having a reasonable 19mph at 70 rpm and 35mph at 130 rpm.
Should be fun :biggrin:

Fixedwheelnut

I use an old Raleigh Team Professional 531C frame, with a cheap disc wheel off Ebay, usually on 97" fixed occasionally 86" for longer events, even a 72" for some.
Got my 10 time down to 23:43 on the Gravesend Q10/24

Just pick a gear and have a go, you'll love it :biggrin:

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Do not stop pedalling as you cross the line. I did and remember thinking whilst 6 foot off of the ground in a horizontal position that the landing was going to hurt.
:wacko:
I've ridden fixed for long enough now for that not to happen (I hope:biggrin:)
It does feel really weird to free-wheel now.^_^

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I use an old Raleigh Team Professional 531C frame, with a cheap disc wheel off Ebay, usually on 97" fixed occasionally 86" for longer events, even a 72" for some.
Got my 10 time down to 23:43 on the Gravesend Q10/24

Just pick a gear and have a go, you'll love it :biggrin:
Yeah, I'm going to give it a go. I'll ride the course at some point before the season starts to see how I cope with the hills (up and down) on 91" and see how I go. I'm expecting a good time as there's less buggering about with gears and you just dig in on fixed.

Fixedwheelnut

Yeah, I'm going to give it a go. I'll ride the course at some point before the season starts to see how I cope with the hills (up and down) on 91" and see how I go. I'm expecting a good time as there's less buggering about with gears and you just dig in on fixed.
Well I am still quicker on fixed than on my geared Planet X, :smile:

Firestorm

Veteran
My Mum time trailing on a fixed in the early 50s

Attachments

• tapatalk_1365716245868.jpeg
    tapatalk_1365716245868.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 283
Top Bottom