Time trialling on a fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Not wanting to deliberately raise the dead but I thought I'd let you know how I fared.
At the end of last season my last geared ride was a PB of 25:35 on a lumpy course.
I had a go on my fixed last night (2nd ride of the season) running 90 inches and got a new PB of 25:25 on a slightly windy night. So I was quicker!
^_^

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Do not stop pedalling as you cross the line. I did and remember thinking whilst 6 foot off of the ground in a horizontal position that the landing was going to hurt.

I only just avoided falling off doing that the day I bought my fixie - I must have gone at least several hundred yards from the shop before "easing off" before traffic lights - never done it since

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My old club mate used to do it loads on the Cheshire Courses. Lumpy as well, but having commuted on fixed for 5 years, yes it can and does work.

screenman

Legendary Member
I organised a forum ride near Oswestry, a couple of years ago; one of those who attended, was 'Mick the Quick'. Mick won the National 50 TT in 1956, he came 2nd in 1957. In 1958, he won the National 25 & the 50TTs. He was the first person to win both events in the same year.

In the same year, he came 12th in the National 100; he suffered a double wheel breakage and did the last 20 miles on a marshal's bike. :eek: In 1959, he won the National 50 TT again . . . I believe that he was the last person, to win a National TT on fixed.

Mick certainly can still turn a wheel; on the forum ride, he had no problems keeping up with all the other riders - I'm hoping to get him out on another forum ride this year.

I've enormous respect for guys of that era; Mick tells me, that he'd frequently cycle up to 30 miles, just to get to a convenient spot, to hitch a ride from a lorry. He said that at events, some riders would provide other riders with accommodation; but if there was no accommodation to be had, he'd sleep in a barn, or even under a hedge. They certainly were tough, in those days !

Spookey, I was in the Royal Hill Pub near Melverley a few days ago and someone there was talking about this guy Mick.

Top Bottom