Time trialling on a fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firestorm

Veteran
Can anyone explain what's going on with the seat-stays and chain-stays in that picture?
It was a Hetchins curly stays were a "feature"

Sharky

Guru
Can anyone explain what's going on with the seat-stays and chain-stays in that picture?
There was a time when advertising and excessive brand names were frowned on. Some frame makers developed frames with distinctive features so they would be recognised. They also claimed that they had some technical feature that were better then other frames.
- There were the Hetchins curly forks like the one in the picture
- E.G.Bates frames had forks with a double bend and tubing that went fatter in the centre.
- Saxon used to have a spilt seat tube to allow a shorter wheel base.
None of these features have survived into modern design and I think most of the technical claims have been discounted by the experts (like those cranks which used the have a 90 degree bend in them)
Cheers
Keith

PS - Just found an old picture of me on my Bates - Just finishing a 50 in about 2hrs 45mins, but I did puncture and mended the inner tube - and all before they put a man on the moon!

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
I use an old Raleigh Team Professional 531C frame, with a cheap disc wheel off Ebay, usually on 97" fixed occasionally 86" for longer events, even a 72" for some.
Got my 10 time down to 23:43 on the Gravesend Q10/24

Just pick a gear and have a go, you'll love it :biggrin:

Most of my times done on fixed and all in 2013 - starting the season on 84", then 90" then my normal 96" mid season, with an occasional 100"+ if feeling strong towards the end of the year. Just about manage to beat my age standard each year. The Grain course is quite good for fixed - no major hills, but a grind going out to the turn and then the return is fast on the way back, but the last couple of miles can be a slog over the new bridge and if a cross-wind. Finished last year with a 27:10
http://www.gravesendcc.org.uk/tens/Tens.htm

Keith

Sharky

Guru
vic.gif

Here's one from the family album - my Dad taken in 1940 - I think he may even have won it with a "7", but he was called up very soon after.
Keith

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There was a time when advertising and excessive brand names were frowned on. Some frame makers developed frames with distinctive features so they would be recognised. They also claimed that they had some technical feature that were better then other frames.
- There were the Hetchins curly forks like the one in the picture
- E.G.Bates frames had forks with a double bend and tubing that went fatter in the centre.
- Saxon used to have a spilt seat tube to allow a shorter wheel base.
None of these features have survived into modern design and I think most of the technical claims have been discounted by the experts (like those cranks which used the have a 90 degree bend in them)
Cheers
Keith

PS - Just found an old picture of me on my Bates - Just finishing a 50 in about 2hrs 45mins, but I did puncture and mended the inner tube - and all before they put a man on the moon!

Some of the tales linking appearance to advertising banning have been disproved but still persist in the received wisdom of the cycling community.

I love going to traction engine rallies which have vintage vehicle displays as there tends to be a vintage bike section with some very exotic designs. I know of a chap near Darlington/Richmond who has hundreds of vintage bikes and he rotes which ones he takes out to display.

I hope to get a Bates bike with the dihidrant forks and cantiflex tubing from someone who purchased it in 1947 and it's been unridden for the past twenty years. I currently ride a Flying Gate replica - a bit of a marmite bike, they're loved or hated - rarely tolerated. Some of the claimed technical features for the Flying Gate do appear to be true. It has a more rigid rear end and transfers more energy to the rear wheel making hills easier than conventional bikes.

The Hetchins, I think, look as if they have been rear ended and can't think why they attract such premium prices.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
excellent..
B&W are atmospheric...she looks FAST

i wasn't - as the photo is inscribed ''Dying on the Southend Road 25.. ..DNF''.........late 1950s....:blush:

i 'think' these were my racing tubs as the hubs are different to pictures showing my road wheels...
03SouthendRdDNF_zps1bb056d9.jpg

john

Great pic that, John !

Did you do many time trials ?

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
Great pic that, John !
Did you do many time trials ?

thanks....from 17 i was quite keen for several years ... then wine,women and song intervened
we did a weekday evening training run, and i had a set of rollers in my room
every Sunday we did a morning TT then a club run
i was ok at 25miles - rubbish at 50..!

we also did some 100mile 'timed' runs - forget what they were called
i remember i won a bronze medal - Mother binned it when I moved to Canada........:cursing:

Firestorm

Veteran
thanks....from 17 i was quite keen for several years ... then wine,women and song intervened
we did a weekday evening training run, and i had a set of rollers in my room
every Sunday we did a morning TT then a club run
i was ok at 25miles - rubbish at 50..!

we also did some 100mile 'timed' runs - forget what they were called
i remember i won a bronze medal - Mother binned it when I moved to Canada........:cursing:
Reliability trials ?

Which club were you in John ?

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Do any of you guys TT on a fixed?

I've got this idea to have a crack at the club 10 on fixed next season. There are a couple of guys who ride it on fixed and they do it on old steel frame bikes that I think they've had since 'Adam were a lad'.

I organised a forum ride near Oswestry, a couple of years ago; one of those who attended, was 'Mick the Quick'. Mick won the National 50 TT in 1956, he came 2nd in 1957. In 1958, he won the National 25 & the 50TTs. He was the first person to win both events in the same year.

In the same year, he came 12th in the National 100; he suffered a double wheel breakage and did the last 20 miles on a marshal's bike. :eek: In 1959, he won the National 50 TT again . . . I believe that he was the last person, to win a National TT on fixed.

Mick certainly can still turn a wheel; on the forum ride, he had no problems keeping up with all the other riders - I'm hoping to get him out on another forum ride this year.

I've enormous respect for guys of that era; Mick tells me, that he'd frequently cycle up to 30 miles, just to get to a convenient spot, to hitch a ride from a lorry. He said that at events, some riders would provide other riders with accommodation; but if there was no accommodation to be had, he'd sleep in a barn, or even under a hedge. They certainly were tough, in those days !

Top Bottom