tip of the day!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
On a cold, cold day, tear some paper up and place the pieces down your tights, over your private zone, to avoid the worst pain you've ever felt in your life (stole that from Adrian and it's the best tip I ever had).

You do realise Adrian was referring to bolstering the "private zone" of his 20 denier sheer gloss tights before he heads off into Brighton for drinks on a chilly Saturday night, don't you...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I really admire riders who wear shorts in winterI never could
Nothing to admire, it is stupid. The synovial fluid that lubricates the knee joint thickens when it gets cold. Not covering the knee when the temperature drops will cause damage to the cartilage in the knee and in the future could well be the cause of arthritis.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Bread bags. Not stylish (?) but......

If it's cold put them on your feet before your shoes.

If it's raining put them over your shoes. Works with cleats and cheaper than overshoes.

Use cheap motorbike gloves when it's really cold.

JMAG

Über Member
Having just got back on a bike I'm using ski gloves. Slightly padded and very toasty.

I also just bought a Trek 7.2 disk and put the mudguards and rack from an old Raleigh Pioneer on it. I paid £25 for the Raleigh at a car boot sale 5 years ago, but you could probably pick one up or something like it for a tenner instead of paying upwards of £70 for said mudguards and rack. I might keep the Raleigh as a beater or flog it and maybe get most of my £25 back. Alternatively I could film some sort of Jackass type stunt on it lol

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
a way to keep the hands warm on these cold mornings....is to invest in a couple of reusable £1 hand warmers from poundland. Don't put them in the gloves at the start of the commute but wait until you hands feel cold (usually for me about 15 mins, I also wear inner thin glove and warm on radiator before leaving house) Put the handwarmers in first activating by bending the small metal disc inside and these retain heat for approx 15 mins....that is usually enough to keep my pretty comfortable on a 45 min commute (on cold winter morns I tend to ride less because of bad circulation in my hands) I only need to use the handwarmers in very cold conditions and here in Bristol there have not been too many this year...and of course in a few weeks we will be thinking of spring...hurrah!

DrLex

merely the moocher
Save a fortune on laundry bills. Give your dirty shirts to Oxfam. They
will wash and iron them and you can buy them back for fifty pence.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
a way to keep the hands warm on these cold mornings....is to invest in a couple of reusable £1 hand warmers from poundland. Don't put them in the gloves at the start of the commute but wait until you hands feel cold (usually for me about 15 mins, I also wear inner thin glove and warm on radiator before leaving house) Put the handwarmers in first activating by bending the small metal disc inside and these retain heat for approx 15 mins....that is usually enough to keep my pretty comfortable on a 45 min commute (on cold winter morns I tend to ride less because of bad circulation in my hands) I only need to use the handwarmers in very cold conditions and here in Bristol there have not been too many this year...and of course in a few weeks we will be thinking of spring...hurrah!
Poggies ftw, rode home in a snow storm Thursday and they were covered in snow at the front but the fingers were toasty and dry.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Dance tights are really warm under your kit. They come in lots of sizes and are cheaper than cycling tights. Shorts and leg warmers go over easily as do winter longs. They are not as warm as longjohns, which is sometimes a good thing.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
a way to keep the hands warm on these cold mornings....is to invest in a couple of reusable £1 hand warmers from poundland. Don't put them in the gloves at the start of the commute but wait until you hands feel cold (usually for me about 15 mins,
I'm the other way round - my fingers start off cold, but warm up after 15-20 minutes of cycling! (As long as my gloves do not get wet.)

shadow master

No don't do this! Metal levers damage your bike's wheel rims and can cause damage to a tube if you are not uber careful. Instead use good quality plastic tyre levers such as Park ones not rubbish ones from Aldi, Wilco or Halfords.
With modern reinforced nylon plastics,and 99.9% of bikes having alloy rims,metal tyre levers should not even be for sale!well of course in the proper outlet's they aren't,as mentioned above.

Hip Priest

Veteran
With modern reinforced nylon plastics,and 99.9% of bikes having alloy rims,metal tyre levers should not even be for sale!well of course in the proper outlet's they aren't,as mentioned above.

Learned this the hard way. Made a right mess of my rims using metal levers.

Top Bottom