tip of the day!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Today i eneded up on a fork truck in an unheated warehouse for a couple of hours with winter coat + leggings on as well as thick gloves + a buff under my hard hat , hands werent to bad but my feet were really cold even in safety boots and they did not warm up till about half an hour after i got home even though i had good fittings shoes , toe covers and overshoes .the hands were inside thin winter gloves and poggies and had been warmed up under the hand dryers before i set off.

I've always found that steel toe caps tend to chill your toes, then you've got to wait for the steel to warm up a bit before the toes will. I always commute in steel toe caped boots, have done for thirty years or more.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I think the designers of safety boots need to wear them for 20 years day in day out . Only then will they realise they are crap at designing safety boots . I bet they have done more damage to peoples feet than they have saved !

D

Deleted member 1258

I think the designers of safety boots need to wear them for 20 years day in day out . Only then will they realise they are crap at designing safety boots . I bet they have done more damage to peoples feet than they have saved !

I haven't had problems with my feet from steel toe caped boots, socks now thats another matter.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The one on the right is normal, or what I believe to be it, the others are quite clearly bent.
jbQ5tWy.jpg

Faulty

Reactions: gaz

Crucial tip when buying safety boots, you get what you pay for. I have been wearing Red Wings for 6 years, would highly recomend them, but they are not cheap.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Crucial tip when buying safety boots, you get what you pay for. I have been wearing Red Wings for 6 years, would highly recomend them, but they are not cheap.
Work supplied in my case , i must go through 2 pairs a year as i have a tendency to wear the sole out on towing hitches as i use the boot to encourage them :smile:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I used to wear the toes out on mine but now I work on my own and don't do site work i'll stick to trainers .

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
I actually find they are rubbish. Bent them really easily.
I could not agree more...I have a set and find it almost impossible to use, can't seem to get the tip under the tyre and they are bendy...all the publicity they get and really not up to the job....I think!

D

Deleted member 1258

Work supplied in my case to

Tim Hall

I could not agree more...I have a set and find it almost impossible to use, can't seem to get the tip under the tyre and they are bendy...all the publicity they get and really not up to the job....I think!
I've bust one of those before. Park also do big, wide, flat levers (TL4). The business end seems better at getting under the bead than the ones Gaz bent. I haven't broken one yet, either, but I haven't changed that many tyres with them either.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've bust one of those before. Park also do big, wide, flat levers (TL4). The business end seems better at getting under the bead than the ones Gaz bent. I haven't broken one yet, either, but I haven't changed that many tyres with them either.
Ooo i might have to give the TL4 a whirl, i like the wide leaver that you get with the speed leaver, it makes it a lot easier.

biking_fox

Guru
When it's cold cycle slower - avoid the wind chill. Go down a gear or two and spin faster to keep warm. I find above 18mph or so the wind chill gets very vicious very quickly, but windproof gloves and high rpm keeps you warm throughout.

For tyre removal I have used a quick stik (plastic tool) works well for a year then snaps and have park tool pro levers (metal), both work well. I dont know if I would want to use metal levers on a carbon rim but as I cant afford carbon rims that is not an issue.

Top Bottom