tips please for winter road cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogzodiac

It will be my first time on a road bike cycling through Autumn and winter. So far i have only cycled in dry warm weather (just been lucky with timing). I know plenty about how to dress as i do a lot of hiking in all seasons, and wind proofing, rain-proofing and ventilation are very important, but when it comes to lights and lumen brightness, (I live in the countryside) I have no idea. I understand about been seen, but been able to see in front of me I'm unsure.
Also my tyres are slicks, but unless im wrong, what is the point of tread on such narrow tyres. Im curious as the country roads are wet now most of the time. Is there any point changing tyres for winter

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Slick tyres offer more grip on the road as you have more rubber in contact with the surface, the only thing to beat them is when its icy are studded tyres if you have the clearance on your frame to use them.
At this time of year look out for patches of diesel, wet leaves, drain covers and lines in the road as these can be very slippy at this time of year .In winter you need to be aware of ice patches especially in shaded sections , generally riding in the tyre track of the cars is safer as they are liable to have swept some of the hazards away and also gives you a good position to weave in or out to avoid hazards .
As for lights , it all depends on your budget as you can get perfectly servicable lights like the xml t6 for under £20 that are light enough to ride on unlit lanes or you can spend hundreds .
To be seen on unlit lanes reflectives work best , i use a gilet with reflective bits that is a bright colour along with a helmet with more reflective bits and wrist slaps .

cyberknight

cyberknight

This is my OMFG its snow/ ice bike .
2014-01-28-10-24-02-jpg.37041.jpg

cyberknight

^ great advice:thumbsup:
I have always found that it's mostly about keeping warm.
Indeed , the OP says he knows about dressing so i left that one .Knowing how to dress is an art as one big thick layer is less effective than a few thinner layers as you can regulate your temperature more easily by zips/taking off layers as needed .
Hands and feet are my biggest issue as i have raynaurds so i have to be careful, last winter i invested in proper winter boots as even though i have good overshoes i still ended up with cold feet .Good gloves are a must and i even have some poggies although i did not need them last winter as it was not that cold .
upload_2014-10-11_13-20-15.jpeg

The biggest issue for me is to stay dry. I find waterproof clothing gets you just as wet through sweat. I dont think its possible to stay dry when its raining.

Some excellent advice all round for somebody who's looking to ride through their first winter.
I agree about the waterproof's but I tend to make sure I have layers that will keep me warm when wet rather than spend my time worrying about staying bone dry. A good softshell is vital for me.

OP
OP
Dogzodiac

Dogzodiac

Thanks for the advice. There is no way I expect to stay completely dry in wet weather. As with hiking, the biggest problem is staying warm and dry. Even if its a dry day but cold, wrapping up causes problems. So regulating body temperature is vital. If i start to get hot and think i will start sweating I stop what im doing or slow down. better that than work up a sweat get wet then catch you death of cold when you finally finish moving because you can not dry off in the warm sushine. I always take a spare layer and change if I do get wet from sweat

Dibdib