Tired of shoddy workmanship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
had a 10ft x 8ft shed installed several weeks back
only just measured it and it's half an inch shy of that on both sides. it's peeved me off (i am a picky bugger though)
would that annoy you? measured our other shed and it's half an inch over, which is what i would expect when you factor in the edge framing

have little faith in anyone doing work for me anymore, after a couple of other shoddy jobs in the past (by different folk)
does anyone take pride in their work any more 👎

vickster

Legendary Member
had a 10ft x 8ft shed installed several weeks back
only just measured it and it's half an inch shy of that on both sides. it's peeved me off (i am a picky bugger though)
would that annoy you? measured our other shed and it's half an inch over, which is what i would expect when you factor in the edge framing

have little faith in anyone doing work for me anymore, after a couple of other shoddy jobs in the past (by different folk)
does anyone take pride in their work any more 👎
No, I wouldn't even measure it!
If that fussy, why didn't you install yourself?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Even as an immensely picky sod myself I could probably live with that; worst case 0.5" over 8ft is what, about half a percent..? I'd consider that within allowable tolerances tbh.

That aside I can completely identify with where you're coming from in principal - I'm sick of being disappointed / angered by the poor quality of workmanship I've experienced when forced to get others to do work for me... this along with being tight means that I do my utmost to do everything I can myself; low-level DIY, achievable jobs on the car, everything on the bike.

Of course this being coupled with being enormously unproductive usually just backs me into a corner where nothing gets done :sad:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm picky about shoddy workmanship and/or shoddy materials. but that wouldn't bother me at all. It would be different if I had bought the materials and that 1/2 inch meant that the job couldn't be completed, but if the shed is sturdy and straight then that's job done.

I do know what you mean though, I've ordered many a thing online that has arrived and I've had to make modifications to it so that it works (easier than sending back). Stripped threads, holes that aren't drilled straight or a couple mm off so things won't line up. it's very annoying, but it's a real minefield these days where companies are trying to cut corners and quality control is very often lacking. You can't even rely on expensive brands anymore; as some are made cheaply but had an expensive brand logo screwed on but are the same crap underneath.

Enjoy your shed :smile:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I wouldn't have measured it, but I certainly agree about some professionals not doing a very good job. The last time I had anyone hang wallpaper he was a professional (also related to me. I didn't expect a reduced price but perhaps a bit of attention to detail). He left tiny strips missing & put joins in really poor places. Very disappointing.

If I can I'd rather attempt something myself and do an adequate job rather than pay someone who won't be much better.

But I'd also happily sing the praises of people who do a good job.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
I wouldn't have measured it, but I certainly agree about some professionals not doing a very good job. The last time I had anyone hang wallpaper he was a professional (also related to me. I didn't expect a reduced price but perhaps a bit of attention to detail). He left tiny strips missing & put joins in really poor places. Very disappointing.

If I can I'd rather attempt something myself and do an adequate job rather than pay someone who won't be much better.

But I'd also happily sing the praises of people who do a good job.
i wish i had never measured it to be honest:cry: but i was measuring inside for a workbench and i popped outside to measure it for whatever reason.
i'll live with it i guess but they got my back up about a few other things so this just set me off.
they won't be getting a recommendation, will look elsewhere next time

From my experience joiners and builders work in CM and Inches where as engineers and glaziers work in MM, no one would sell a 9' 11 1/2" x 7' 11 1/2" shed:laugh:

The usual issue with items like this is that people expect it to be that size inside instead of outside.....

Top Bottom