Tired of shoddy workmanship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is a very good reason I do as much as possibly myself at home. I refitted our bathroom better than the builders did it when they built our house. The tiles just fell off. We kept the bath and sink as we liked the colour (pale cream) but I needed a new loo bowl (that ruddy crack started a bathroom refurb). Turned the bath round 180 degrees, refitted it properly (the builders didn't adjust the legs properly), and replaced the electric shower, and put up some really good tiles - here is where an proper tile cutter is just the business.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’ve done all my one bathrooms and kitchens in the past but time is limited these days, however it’s proved that it m not that bad after all !!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
1/2"? :wacko:

On the other hand, I was moaning to 'er indores only yesterday about the new gazebo she she asked me to sort out because it was rubbing when you extended the extendable poles. Turns out the ends of the tubing haven't been finished off, so as you slide one section into another, tiny metal burrs on the end-edges cut into the sliding pole - hence the roughness . It'll actually sort itself out after a couple of uses - the burrs will gouge out little grooves to go through, so no more rubbing. But you do wonder about a company that's either unaware of the issue or incapable of having the new lad take a small file or a bit of emery paper to all those tube ends to make sure they're smooth and won't snag. (It wasn't cheap either.)

Dave7

Legendary Member
Or what speed was the shed travelling at when measured. concord expanded 7 inches whilst travelling at Mach 2. So just accelerate the shed to the speed of sound and measure again.
So, at Mach 2 who went outside to measure it ?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm picky about shoddy workmanship and/or shoddy materials. but that wouldn't bother me at all. It would be different if I had bought the materials and that 1/2 inch meant that the job couldn't be completed, but if the shed is sturdy and straight then that's job done.

I do know what you mean though, I've ordered many a thing online that has arrived and I've had to make modifications to it so that it works (easier than sending back). Stripped threads, holes that aren't drilled straight or a couple mm off so things won't line up. it's very annoying, but it's a real minefield these days where companies are trying to cut corners and quality control is very often lacking. You can't even rely on expensive brands anymore; as some are made cheaply but had an expensive brand logo screwed on but are the same crap underneath.

Enjoy your shed :smile:
I'm similar and can completely identify with where you're coming from. Best case IMO is to put the boot in hard about shonky quality; if it's cheap stuff they often can't be arsed with the cost and hassle of replacement so just refund you' in which case you've got a free serviceable item if you can sort it out :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
There is a very good reason I do as much as possibly myself at home. I refitted our bathroom better than the builders did it when they built our house. The tiles just fell off. We kept the bath and sink as we liked the colour (pale cream) but I needed a new loo bowl (that ruddy crack started a bathroom refurb). Turned the bath round 180 degrees, refitted it properly (the builders didn't adjust the legs properly), and replaced the electric shower, and put up some really good tiles - here is where an proper tile cutter is just the business.
Likewise. I'm not sure I ever had a tradesman in...ever.
Complete bathroom refurb plus tiling.
Complete kitchen refurb plus tiling.
Kitchen refresh including worktops, door, pelmets etc
Laminate flooring a few times.
Various plumbing jobs.
Used to fit my own cookers, gas or electric.
Interior doors and furniture, carpets, decorating, i will try almost anything and do an acceptable, sometimes equally as good job as a professional.

I know two guys, semi professional, very thorough, very good but even they are looking at £200 a day, bit cheaper for cash.
Do I enjoy doing it myself ?, no way, but I'm too tight by far.

icowden

Veteran
had a 10ft x 8ft shed installed several weeks back
only just measured it and it's half an inch shy of that on both sides. it's peeved me off (i am a picky bugger though)
would that annoy you? measured our other shed and it's half an inch over, which is what i would expect when you factor in the edge framing

I think you probably have to allow for expansion / shrinkage due to temperature and weather. What annoyed me about my shed was that about 6 months after installation the tongue and groove planks were separating, leaving big gaps everywhere. I got complete disinterest from Tiger Sheds - customer service about the worst I have ever experienced.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My neighbour had a feather edge fence which was quite old and blew down in the high winds we had last year. She got it fixed soon after. When we came to do our fence (to put alongside hers to cover it up as it was unsightly) the workmanship was absolutely dire. They put 1 new post in the middle which was wonky and not in alignment, other boards had been re-tacked and had already fallen off after less than a year, screws had been used to "secure" the boards on and had come through the other side into my garden which I nearly cut my wrists open on. She said she had paid a lot of momey to have it done (but I suspect it was done through insurance). My Dad is not a Pro but ours looks pristine. If I had done a job like that, I would be too embarrassed to even get out of bed, let alone ask money for it

snorri

Legendary Member
had a 10ft x 8ft shed installed several weeks back. only just measured it and it's half an inch shy of that on both sides.
Possibly the difference crept in when using Metric/Imperial conversion tables.
It's a bit unfair to be expecting contractors to be adhering to Imperial measurements some 55 years after adoption of Metric in the UK.

Drago

Legendary Member
Possibly the difference crept in when using Metric/Imperial conversion tables.
It's a bit unfair to be expecting contractors to be adhering to Imperial measurements some 55 years after adoption of Metric in the UK.
Most contractors still talk imperial quite happily, and most bulk materials are sold in sizes that correspond to imeprial measures.

Imperial was around long before Metric, and will be arpund long after Operation Yewtree catches up eith Monsieur Metric and his work is completely discredited by association.

[Obtuse, dense, and SNP supporting readers please note - this last paragraph was a joke. Thank you.]

Top Bottom