Titanium Bike Parts, I need your opinions (and I'm giving away a £50 Planet-X voucher)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Only just seen this and am very interested as I've just built a Ti bike.I've completed the survey anyway!
Thank you

Tom B

Guru
Just to take this a bit of subject. I'd never considered ti cleat bolts.

But I have suffered with the standard bolts rusting into the plates then snapping or rounding when I came to remove them causing a headache and meaning I had to replace the plate in the shoe.

Would to bolts solve this or would the plate in the shoe still rot and rust to the bolt.

How about replacement ti shoe plates (the Shimano types are available as spares so replacement is doable.)

In terms of the OPs original business plan my only word or caution would be those of my first boss who told me not to be a "busy fool" running around selling bits of things for not much money...

cheys03

Veteran
I’m surprised Ti stem spacers are proving so popular as they’d be heavier than aluminium - must be looks? So, polished finish or bead blasted?

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Just to take this a bit of subject. I'd never considered ti cleat bolts.

But I have suffered with the standard bolts rusting into the plates then snapping or rounding when I came to remove them causing a headache and meaning I had to replace the plate in the shoe.

Would to bolts solve this or would the plate in the shoe still rot and rust to the bolt.

How about replacement ti shoe plates (the Shimano types are available as spares so replacement is doable.)

In terms of the OPs original business plan my only word or caution would be those of my first boss who told me not to be a "busy fool" running around selling bits of things for not much money...

Thank you Tom. Hopefully the research will help me minimise the busy fool syndrome, I've been there before!

Ti doesn't rust so Ti cleats shouldn't become one with your shoes. When you say 'plates' do you mean the washers? I have been considering dropping them as they are quite expensive to get made. In theory the problem with steel bolts, washers and the 'female parts' on your shows that receive the bolts, is that if two metal parts are made of a similar metal they will naturally seize / corrode together. So if you had a Ti cleat bolt it should keep the steel of the washer and the steel of the female part separate and stop the corrosion. It's a theory and I'll gladly be corrected if it's not true :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thank you Tom. Hopefully the research will help me minimise the busy fool syndrome, I've been there before!

Ti doesn't rust so Ti cleats shouldn't become one with your shoes. When you say 'plates' do you mean the washers? I have been considering dropping them as they are quite expensive to get made. In theory the problem with steel bolts, washers and the 'female parts' on your shows that receive the bolts, is that if two metal parts are made of a similar metal they will naturally seize / corrode together. So if you had a Ti cleat bolt it should keep the steel of the washer and the steel of the female part separate and stop the corrosion. It's a theory and I'll gladly be corrected if it's not true :smile:
Not sure this is correct with Ti. As it doesn't corrode so shouldn't seize. My Ti bike has a Ti seat post with a Ti collar. Its 8 years old now and no sign of corrosion or seizing what so ever.

Tom B

Guru

I mean these things

https://www.biketart.com/components...wSgpT6cIBtrVdb6o3Dkt18SHxkNsjJkRoCuz8QAvD_BwE

The bits that fit inside the shoe and receive the bolt.

What about corrosion caused by the presence of disimmilar materials (glavanic?)or is that not an issue with Ti and Steel?

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

Johnsco

Old Fettler
Titanium and its alloys have outstanding corrosion resistance - Even in the most-aggressive environments.
A stable and unreactive oxide film provides the material with resistance to corrosion. Whenever fresh titanium is exposed to the atmosphere or to any environment containing oxygen, it immediately acquires a thin tough film of oxide. This surface film gives the material its excellent corrosion resistance. The film is self healing and re-forms almost at once if mechanically damaged.
In VERY aggressive environments, galvanic corrosion can occur.
BUT ... We are talking about chemical plants and high temperatures.
On any sort of road conditions, galvanic corrosion is most unlikely.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I thought I'd give you a quick update.

I was focussing on cleat bolts and washers, and it doesn't appear anyone wants them!

But you guys do want stem spacers and stem bolts!

I would definitely buy the cleat bolts I think that would be a really good use of Ti, I'd be smiling when I cleaned my shoes.

Rear mech hanger screws and the screws to hold Rear mech to the Hanger, all very funky, keep us updated and good luck.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I would definitely buy the cleat bolts I think that would be a really good use of Ti, I'd be smiling when I cleaned my shoes.

Rear mech hanger screws and the screws to hold Rear mech to the Hanger, all very funky, keep us updated and good luck.

Thank you! The call for clear bolts isn't huge, but this is a long term project and it's not like the stock can go out of date!

The clear washers are proving a bit problematic though. I can do them but they are not easy to make. They might have to be a 'phase 2' kind of product. I need to get some money in the pot first!

Top Bottom