Titanium bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sounds like a lot of work.

yeah, think it would cost a fair penny as would have to do the whole frame. I'll look into it though as would like to give the frame a nice polished mirror finish.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hypothetical question...

If you had say £2k to spend on a Ti disc brake frame (probably a more relaxed sportive/audax type rather than a head down/arse up 'racer'), capable of light touring or day rides / off road but nothing heavy / full on)...that could take 32mm tyres, a rack and mudguards, what options would you look at and why? :smile:
As no-one's mentioned Lynskey or Litespeed yet, I feel obliged to. Litespeed are currently without UK distribution, unfortunately (though I'm sure they'd sell you one direct) but Lynskey are stocked by Fatbirds amongst others. My T5 Gravel was bang on £2k RRP, the 2017 Gravel (which has the annoying omissions from the earlier model sorted- i.e. full set of rack and mudguard mounts- plus three bottle cage mounts, huge tyre clearance…) is $2499 US.
http://litespeed.com/our-bikes/titanium/adventure/2018-gravel
Lynskey have the GR250, among other options. There are a lot of really great Ti gravel/adventure frames around now.

Origamist

Legendary Member
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
If the ti itch needs scratching go for it!

I like this: https://www.reillycycleworks.com/products/gradient-adventure?variant=31509859463

There are custom and off the peg options too.

By flashy hoops I meant stealthy but filthy expensive - think Chris King hubs laced to matte black Enve rims ...
(Wide) black rims :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: (ymmv)

Thanks for the link, I think I'm probably going to be looking more at road/tourers with disc brakes than the more CX/adventure/gravel style
(or whatever the latest buzzword will be for drop bar bikes capable of going over rougher stuff)

The Sabbath September or the Enigma Etape probably comes closest of the 'off the peg' options. I've not really had time to look at Lynskey, but I would prefer a 'British' brand :smile:

Last edited:

Siclo

Veteran
Yeah I linked that earlier, what do you know about it?
Built a September disk with 105, shimano M525 rear hub, dynamo front on Stans Grail rims running tubeless, TRP Hy-Rd brakes.
24939588229_be91d4f9e4_b.jpg

Done about 4000 miles in 18 months of light off road, audax , weekend rides. It's been an awesome machine so far

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Built a September disk with 105, shimano M525 rear hub, dynamo front on Stans Grail rims running tubeless, TRP Hy-Rd brakes.
View attachment 351711

Done about 4000 miles in 18 months of light off road, audax , weekend rides. It's been an awesome machine so far
Great, thanks! Probably not the spec I'd be considering but good to have real-world feedback on the frame and purchase experience. Where did you get the frame from? Would the rather large Kinesis decals come off the forks do you think?

Siclo

Veteran
Great, thanks! Probably not the spec I'd be considering but good to have real-world feedback on the frame and purchase experience. Where did you get the frame from? Would the rather large Kinesis decals come off the forks do you think?

No I don't think the decals will come off, they are under the lacquer. I got the frame from Bikeshak in Altrincham who were great, I got to take the test bike home for 2 days. The reason I had that fork is I wanted one drilled both sides for a crown mounted lamp, the Whiskey fork that is offered is very nice and much more understated, only drilled for a mudguard though.

Don't see disc braked titanium sportive stylee on their website?

AFAIK Starley don't do Ti, only CF, SS and steel.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
No I don't think the decals will come off, they are under the lacquer. I got the frame from Bikeshak in Altrincham who were great, I got to take the test bike home for 2 days. The reason I had that fork is I wanted one drilled both sides for a crown mounted lamp, the Whiskey fork that is offered is very nice and much more understated, only drilled for a mudguard though.

AFAIK Starley don't do Ti, only CF, SS and steel.
Thanks I may need to check out a Sabbath dealer in London :okay:

Edit...or go up to Harrogate :biggrin:

Top Bottom