Titanium bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
You can only ask about bespoke building but if going that way, Enigma or Reilly might be better for bigger frames. I'm a diddy 54 so all good :smile: do you really need bigger than a 60cm TT?

Probably, my van nic is a 60cm & feels a touch small. I'm kind of used to it being 6'5". But reckon if I'm spending this amount of money I might as well have it right. Not sure about Reilly as hasn't he previous for going to the wall & leaving a few disappointed? :sad: I've ruled Varuu out due to warranty, only 8 years, but once you've had one warranty replacement that's it, I can cope with 10 year warranty, but obviously longer is better.
Going to try & get to the Spin exhibition next year & see what's there, before making a decision probably next summer

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably, my van nic is a 60cm & feels a touch small. I'm kind of used to it being 6'5". But reckon if I'm spending this amount of money I might as well have it right. Not sure about Reilly as hasn't he previous for going to the wall & leaving a few disappointed? :sad: I've ruled Varuu out due to warranty, only 8 years, but once you've had one warranty replacement that's it, I can cope with 10 year warranty, but obviously longer is better.
Going to try & get to the Spin exhibition next year & see what's there, before making a decision probably next summer
Call Corridori and ask whether a larger J Guillem frame might be available as a custom build

There's a 64cm Enigma on eBay, albeit no disc brakes

jiberjaber

Veteran
I think I was told 5 year warranty at Spin. I just didn’t like the bike much when I looked at it.

They sell JGuillem at a highly regarded LBS about 4 miles away which would be a big plus

However, with an impending expensive house move and rickety health I’m not spending 3.5k on a bike in the near future

10 years on the frame, 5 on the Whiskey forks (if you get them, not sure how long is on the Laverack own forks)

They're getting a bit common now, there's another one due to appear in Essex soon...

I liked the JGuillem I saw but I think I like the uniqueness of the flattened top tube on the J.ack, not that you can see it much as I have a frame bag fitted all the time. I'm 6000km in on mine and no niggles to report other than a broken spoke this weekend, but that's not the fault of the frame.

maroon

Über Member
Hypothetical question...

If you had say £2k to spend on a Ti disc brake frame (probably a more relaxed sportive/audax type rather than a head down/arse up 'racer'), capable of light touring or day rides / off road but nothing heavy / full on)...that could take 32mm tyres, a rack and mudguards, what options would you look at and why? :smile:

Not interested in Chinese eBay / online suppliers. To be bought from a recognised brand and UK seller only :smile:
Can I say van Nicholas Yukon

AlanW

Guru
Can I say van Nicholas Yukon

The pending new Van Nic Yukon is indeed very nice but not due in the UK till April next year. They have altered the frame geometry a little to firm the ride up and comes with 140mm discs F&R, would have preferred 160mm but hey....
Push fit bottom bracket.....:thumbsdown:

But a life time warranty.....:thumbsup:

The guy on the Van Nic stand at the recent Cycle Show was very honest with me, he said its not uncommon for Ti frames to crack and its not always down to poor workmanship. Which really supports my experience, as I know more people that have suffered from cracked Ti frames than any other material.
After the show I called in at my local Van Nic stockist and asked him about failure rates. He said that he had sold in the region of 150 Van Nic Ti bikes/frames and had had only three fail due to cracking. BUT....in each case Van Nic replaced the frame FOC with no quibble and no question and really quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The pending new Van Nic Yukon is indeed very nice but not due in the UK till April next year. They have altered the frame geometry a little to firm the ride up and comes with 140mm discs F&R, would have preferred 160mm but hey....

Sounds exactly the same as J Guillem...odd that :whistle:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me

The guy on the Van Nic stand at the recent Cycle Show was very honest with me, he said its not uncommon for Ti frames to crack and its not always down to poor workmanship. Which really supports my experience, as I know more people that have suffered from cracked Ti frames than any other material.
After the show I called in at my local Van Nic stockist and asked him about failure rates. He said that he had sold in the region of 150 Van Nic Ti bikes/frames and had had only three fail due to cracking. BUT....in each case Van Nic replaced the frame FOC with no quibble and no question and really quickly.
140mm front and back is all you need on a road bike, its what i got on my cannondale and i'm 18st.
Push fit BB is easily fixed with the aftermarket BBs available from the likes of praxis, C-bear and a few others
Lifetime warranty is a plus, but how often are warranties claimed and how often do manufacturers live upto the warranty.
having had two Ti frames i'm lucky not to have had a cracking issue on any of them and my current frame is 3yrs old

d70ar9

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
How much is the fork though? Still end up being a 2k+ bike when built. Can’t justify the outlay...at least not this week :wacko:

Also, and although it’s silly, I don’t like the headbadge on PX Ti bikes and it’s enough to stop me having lbs especially given the cost :blush:

Probably, my van nic is a 60cm & feels a touch small. I'm kind of used to it being 6'5". But reckon if I'm spending this amount of money I might as well have it right.

When I bought my Van Nicholas - using their size calculator and some after discussions with Jan Guillem at the time - I got a 58cm which in reality is more like a 56cm. I think their sizing (then, at least) was a bit 'off' compared to others. My 56cm Mason Definition is a better fit for me now.

simon.r

Person

I struggle with the sizing on some bikes nowadays, this being a good example.

The XL size has a 550mm seat tube, which means the top of my saddle would need to be 280mm above that (as measured on a bike fit), so I’d need something approaching a 400mm seatpost. I realise fashion dictates a sloping top tube nowadays, but that’s a lot of seatpost showing on a road bike!

I’m fairly tall at 6’2”, but there are loads of cyclists, particularly youngsters, taller than me.

140mm front and back is all you need on a road bike, its what i got on my cannondale and i'm 18st.
Push fit BB is easily fixed with the aftermarket BBs available from the likes of praxis, C-bear and a few others
Lifetime warranty is a plus, but how often are warranties claimed and how often do manufacturers live upto the warranty.
having had two Ti frames i'm lucky not to have had a cracking issue on any of them and my current frame is 3yrs old

Have a C-Bear bb on the Helium and it is ossum;to be fair the Wheels Manufacturing one(although it was a Shimano adaptor) was fine until the bearings went.

Any issues we've had in the shop has been down to the bb quality itself rather than being press-fit.

If they are like the likes of Ridgeback there should be no issue; might find out soon as the shop I work in may be stocking Van Nic's (and Ridley's:whistle:).

Multicyclist

Regular
Yup
I. I recently bought an ADX Titanium disc. The full bike. Ultegra, Krysiums & a brake/shifter upgrade. I drove to Harrogate to check out the Spa, as mentioned by others, it looked a bit low rent to me. The Dolan is built better, although the decals & rear brake hose routing drag it down a bit. I emailed prior to purchase asking if it was a butted frame (the Spa is plain gauge) Eventually I recieved a reply 'Yes it's butted' (they didn't expand on that- double triple etc) no idea if it actually is though, it's not especially light & there are no frame stickers identifying the tubing. It's not a bad bike to ride, but I haven't really gelled with it. My 520 reynolds steel fixie has much more spring, comfort & 'life' in it (Jamie's sputnik £399 for the whole bike)

Multicyclist

Regular
20171030_110500-01-01-01-01.jpeg
That's my adx ti....

Top Bottom