Titanium Itch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Good morning. I used to spend a lot of time around these parts, but have been absent for a while. Hope you’ve all been well.
Anyway, I‘m back because I have an itch, and hopefully you guys can help 😊

You’ll be stunned to learn that contrary to appearances, my 40th birthday is around the corner. Ive therefore decided that I must purchase a new Titanium bike, but it should replace my current commuter/tourer/winter steed rather than the carbon.
To set the scene I built up a Cervelo S2 frameset a few years back, so while it’s not mega current, it still looks great and rides well, so I’m happy with it for Sunday best for the time being. The winter bike is a 10 year old Boardman CX that’s been smashing, but is ready for retirement.

Budget is flexible. If I decide I want something I don’t have the cash for then I’ll save up for a bit longer. This bike is about getting it right, not just getting something.

Gravel is a fly in the ointment here. Initially I didn’t want it because I don’t ride on gravel. But it feels as though the marketing boffins have set out to convince the world that they need a gravel bike, and subsequently they are everywhere... and are the latest models with the latest tech. Maybe it’s just me, but looking at standard audax/tourer type models which are now a couple of years old makes it feel like I’m shopping for an iPhone 4.

Let’s break this down to some actual questions.
Has anyone looked at the J Guillem Orient, the Enigma Etape or the Van Nicholas Yukon Disc?

These are the ones that have tickled my fancy so far... with an Ultegra build and costing under £4K.
I’m 82% sure I don’t need to drop an extra £1k on Di2 or eTap - or that could always come later.

What about their gravel equivalents, the J Guillem Atalaya, the Enigma Escape, or the Van Nicholas Rowtag?
Do these offer the same or more? Or will they be less refined on the road? Anyone tried or bought?

What else should I be looking at?

All advice gratefully received, as always.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh the agony of new bike buying!

Tom B

Guru
You’ll be stunned to learn that contrary to appearances, my 40th birthday is around the corner. Ive therefore decided that I must purchase a new Titanium bike, but it should replace my current commuter/tourer/winter steed rather than the carbon.

Ahhh why did you have to do that. My 40th isn't too far away, I was wondering what to get / do. A titanium bike has been my retirement idea... But...

I'll be watching this with interest. Though I suspect I may have a lower budget and ideas of what i want from it.

I had been idley looking at the Ribble CGR Ti

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Ahhh why did you have to do that. My 40th isn't too far away, I was wondering what to get / do. A titanium bike has been my retirement idea... But...

I'll be watching this with interest. Though I suspect I may have a lower budget and ideas of what i want from it.

I had been idley looking at the Ribble CGR Ti
Yes Ribble has been looked at, as has the Dolan, Kinesis, Genesis, J Laverack, Reilly etc.

Tricky to know where to start.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Titanium itch? There's a cream for that.

20200613_104646.jpg

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Go for a Moots. You know you want to! I have the Vamoots CR but if I was buying today I’d probably get the Routt 45.

Other options I am trying to resist buying for my N+1 (with a gravel vibe) are the Ribble CGR, Mason Bokeh Ti or Reilly Gradient. I was also attracted to the Kinesis ATR V3 but the posts elsewhere on the forum about poor service from Kinesis put me off.

Puts wallet down. Walks away from wallet. Turns back towards wallet...

geocycle

Legendary Member
Spa elan is very flexible and much cheaper than many Ti bikes. Could be the perfect do it all Ti winter bike.

cheys03

Veteran
Spa elan is very flexible and much cheaper than many Ti bikes. Could be the perfect do it all Ti winter bike.
Another vote for the Elan, but caveat that I've never seen or ridden one in the flesh. It looks very good value and Spa would probably allow you to spec it up with your choice of wheels and Di2, saving you the cost of upgrade in the long run.

Had a chat with the owner of a J Laverack bike recently. It was absolutely gorgeous, and he was very happy. They offer a custom build.

I own a Genesis Croix de Fer ti (2017). Not a huge amount except a bit of a spec bump and later standards (axles and flat mount brakes) seems to have changed for the leap from about £2.5-3k to £4k in the passing 3 years. This seems like too great a jump for what you get extra for me. It's a nice bike but by no means exceptional imo, which the 40th deserves.

vickster

Legendary Member
I spent a good year trying out as many and visiting as many places as I could.
For me, I ended up with the Sabbath September AR1
which is the one I decided on after trying
the Etape (when it was new out and there were a few things that needed ironing out),
the Guillem which I loved but in the end decided was a bit too much money for a bike which (at that time) wouldn’t take a rack or front mudguard,

I looked at the Laverack but there was no where to try them and at that time only had a 5 year warranty.

I visited Reilly, had a long chat but again no way to try but was put off by a problem a then active CCer had had.

I test rode the vN skeiron at Fat birds but for whatever reason never felt completely comfortable on it

I visited Spa and also tried the Elan, nice bike, cheaper than all the others but just the finish on the welds etc just wasn’t up to scratch (reflected in the price but my budget was a bit higher)

The Ribble and Planet X models weren’t available. The Genesis may have been but I wanted more road than gravel or CX

Moots and Seven were just too expensive :ohmy:

The Ti that stole my heart is the Condor Gran Fondo...they stopped making it before I was ready to buy. One day, I keep an eye on eBay (not that I need it!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
I spent a good year trying out as many and visiting as many places as I could.
For me, I ended up with the Sabbath September AR1
which is the one I decided on after trying
the Etape (when it was new out and there were a few things that needed ironing out),
the Guillem which I loved but in the end decided was a bit too much money for a bike which (at that time) wouldn’t take a rack or front mudguard,

I looked at the Laverack but there was no where to try them and at that time only had a 5 year warranty.

I visited Reilly, had a long chat but again no way to try but was put off by a problem a then active CCer had had.

I test rode the vN skeiron at Fat birds but for whatever reason never felt completely comfortable on it

I visited Spa and also tried the Elan, nice bike, cheaper than all the others but just the finish on the welds etc just wasn’t up to scratch (reflected in the price but my budget was a bit higher)

The Ribble and Planet X models weren’t available. The Genesis may have been but I wanted more road than gravel or CX

Moots and Seven were just too expensive :ohmy:

The Ti that stole my heart is the Condor Gran Fondo...they stopped making it before I was ready to buy. One day, I keep an eye on eBay (not that I need it!)
Thanks Vickster and everyone else for your replies 👍

Only just realised that the Orient doesn’t have rack mounts, although you can pay an extra €50 for guard compatible forks. That might be a dealbreaker despite how lovely it looks.

My best pal has an old Etape, and highly recommends it. It certainly looks nicer than the Van Nicholas IMO, more classic lines, but is also £4K for an Ultegra build. Pretty sure i could save some money buying the frameset and building it up. What’s an Ultegra gruppo at the minute £800?

I don’t know anything about the Sabbath. I can’t help but think of Ozzie when anyone mentions them though. Are you still smitten with it?

I agree about the Elan too. I don’t want to get a cheaper frame that feels cheaper and wish I’d stretched a bit further Given that this is a bike for life.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I spent zero time researching, and bought a Van Nic Yukon from a fellow forum member. If, and it's highly unlikely, I found the cash, I'd drop it on the disc version no question. Love the thing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks Vickster and everyone else for your replies 👍

Only just realised that the Orient doesn’t have rack mounts, although you can pay an extra €50 for guard compatible forks. That might be a dealbreaker despite how lovely it looks.

My best pal has an old Etape, and highly recommends it. It certainly looks nicer than the Van Nicholas IMO, more classic lines, but is also £4K for an Ultegra build. Pretty sure i could save some money buying the frameset and building it up. What’s an Ultegra gruppo at the minute £800?

I don’t know anything about the Sabbath. I can’t help but think of Ozzie when anyone mentions them though. Are you still smitten with it?

I agree about the Elan too. I don’t want to get a cheaper frame that feels cheaper and wish I’d stretched a bit further Given that this is a bike for life.
The Sabbath is in my avatar. It’s a Rival, mech disc build. Came in around 2.3k. I could have spent more but decided that was the spec I wanted so there was no need :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I spent zero time researching, and bought a Van Nic Yukon from a fellow forum member. If, and it's highly unlikely, I found the cash, I'd drop it on the disc version no question. Love the thing.
It never really felt right for the seller though :whistle:

A bit like the Skeiron, she just isn’t van Nic shaped :laugh:

Top Bottom