Titanium Itch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solecyclist

Good morning. I used to spend a lot of time around these parts, but have been absent for a while. Hope you’ve all been well.
Anyway, I‘m back because I have an itch, and hopefully you guys can help 😊

You’ll be stunned to learn that contrary to appearances, my 40th birthday is around the corner. Ive therefore decided that I must purchase a new Titanium bike, but it should replace my current commuter/tourer/winter steed rather than the carbon.
To set the scene I built up a Cervelo S2 frameset a few years back, so while it’s not mega current, it still looks great and rides well, so I’m happy with it for Sunday best for the time being. The winter bike is a 10 year old Boardman CX that’s been smashing, but is ready for retirement.

Budget is flexible. If I decide I want something I don’t have the cash for then I’ll save up for a bit longer. This bike is about getting it right, not just getting something.

Gravel is a fly in the ointment here. Initially I didn’t want it because I don’t ride on gravel. But it feels as though the marketing boffins have set out to convince the world that they need a gravel bike, and subsequently they are everywhere... and are the latest models with the latest tech. Maybe it’s just me, but looking at standard audax/tourer type models which are now a couple of years old makes it feel like I’m shopping for an iPhone 4.

Let’s break this down to some actual questions.
Has anyone looked at the J Guillem Orient, the Enigma Etape or the Van Nicholas Yukon Disc?

These are the ones that have tickled my fancy so far... with an Ultegra build and costing under £4K.
I’m 82% sure I don’t need to drop an extra £1k on Di2 or eTap - or that could always come later.

What about their gravel equivalents, the J Guillem Atalaya, the Enigma Escape, or the Van Nicholas Rowtag?
Do these offer the same or more? Or will they be less refined on the road? Anyone tried or bought?

What else should I be looking at?

All advice gratefully received, as always.
Be careful with titanium frames if they crack its good for the bin. Van Nicholas give a lifetime guarantee on their frames Ribble only 3 years on titanium. Personally I'd go for VN

Nebulous

Guru
I’ve also been missing from these parts for some time, and after reading this I’m beginning to wish I’d stayed away.

I’m heading for retirement, in my late 50s, and having arrived at cycling late I decided I was going to be better at perseverance than speed. I found my way to audax, failed a LEL by breaking my ribs on a tarmac and completed a PBP on an equilibrium.

While the Genesis is competent, and I’ve made a few adjustments, including Hunt dynamo wheels, it has never excited. With 105 it has been reliable and hasn’t needed a lot of maintenance, but that itch is still there.

I’ve been looking at titanium, and like the Van Nic Yukon disc. I’ve also been looking at importing a Lynskey, but worry about warranty issues.

My requirements are simple - hit that sweet spot of the right compromise between speed and comfort to deliver me to the end of a big ride with a smile on my face, and without too much nerve damage.

Unfortunately it’s not easy to tell which bike will do that, or whether titanium will help, hinder or not matter.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve also been missing from these parts for some time, and after reading this I’m beginning to wish I’d stayed away.

I’m heading for retirement, in my late 50s, and having arrived at cycling late I decided I was going to be better at perseverance than speed. I found my way to audax, failed a LEL by breaking my ribs on a tarmac and completed a PBP on an equilibrium.

While the Genesis is competent, and I’ve made a few adjustments, including Hunt dynamo wheels, it has never excited. With 105 it has been reliable and hasn’t needed a lot of maintenance, but that itch is still there.

I’ve been looking at titanium, and like the Van Nic Yukon disc. I’ve also been looking at importing a Lynskey, but worry about warranty issues.

My requirements are simple - hit that sweet spot of the right compromise between speed and comfort to deliver me to the end of a big ride with a smile on my face, and without too much nerve damage.

Unfortunately it’s not easy to tell which bike will do that, or whether titanium will help, hinder or not matter.
Fatbirds used to sell Lynskey
Look at the Sabbath AR1 too :okay:

footloose crow

Über Member
I did a test ride on an Enigma Etape last week (as well as some other bikes) and am also relatively new to cycling and looking for that better second bike.

The Etape is fast and comfortable to ride. It has a stable feel, easy to ride no handed for example, but accelerates well and tackles hills very happily. Compared to the Mason Definition I also rode, the Etape felt slower but the Strava times showed it was actually faster. The Definition was snappy and gave direct feedback, the Etape felt lazier but I could imagine riding it all day long.

Enigma did a bike fit (free) before carefully adjusting the bike to my measurements. They were attentive, listened to what I wanted and didn't try to sell the bike but just answer questions as honestly as they could. (I have to say my experience at Mason was similar). I took the bike out on a 22 mile test ride and Enigma were quite happy to see that and gave me a Garmin with a preloaded route that included hills at my request.

Enigma were happy to build a bike to my specifications around their frame and could source most components. I am thinking of GRX800 drive train, Mason gravel discs and 32mm tyres but the rest as Enigma parts. Apart from the saddle which I didnt like. The quote for that is 3900 quid with a 6-7 week wait. Its not cheap but I am not getting any younger so I would rather spoil myself with a very nice bike for the next ten years than get something I want to replace in three years.

This bike is a couple of years old and is regularly abused and still looks very good. Any scratches are easily polished out with scotchbrite. Those are 35mm tyres.

I haven't tried a VN, Sabbath, Spa, Alpkit, Reilly, Genesis or Kinesis Ti frame so can't compare them. I could drive myself (and my wife) mad by chasing all over the country trying out bikes but I suspect I would be no better off. They are probably all nice bikes so as I have found one I like, then I should buy it.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The Etape is fast and comfortable to ride. It has a stable feel, easy to ride no handed for example, but accelerates well and tackles hills very happily. Compared to the Mason Definition I also rode, the Etape felt slower but the Strava times showed it was actually faster. The Definition was snappy and gave direct feedback, the Etape felt lazier but I could imagine riding it all day long.

Enigma did a bike fit (free) before carefully adjusting the bike to my measurements. They were attentive, listened to what I wanted and didn't try to sell the bike but just answer questions as honestly as they could. (I have to say my experience at Mason was similar). I took the bike out on a 22 mile test ride and Enigma were quite happy to see that and gave me a Garmin with a preloaded route that included hills at my request.

Sounds very similar to my experience down there :okay: No pressure to buy, but the big smile on my face during the test ride sold it to me :laugh: I have a VN Ventus which is probably lighter & maybe a touch quicker, both comfortable on all day rides, but if I could only have one I'd have the Enigma. It really can do anything & if you can afford it then why not?

Top Bottom