Titanium Itch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it not that the hubs are stiffer with the through axle ? Wasn't really an issue with rim brakes but tighter tolerances on discs.
Thanks for the reply.
Was there an issue with stiffness before? Disc brakes have been around a fair while - where there mass protests about lack of stiffness?
Can't help but think that the major stiffness issue is the industry trying to stiff consumers and pursue obsolecence. Cheered on by some fashionistas.
Edit - should stress cougle, i am not having a dig at you.

Last edited:
@Blue Hills Oh you can certainly still buy QR / disc wheels and hubs at this moment, and yes the wheels I have are hand built. The current gap is that I was after some cheap, ready-made QR/disc wheels as cheap and cheeful backup in case I ever have an issue with the single pair of wheels I have. I had the misfortune to start cycling and buy a bike when dics were new to road bikes but standards not stable.

@Blue Hills Oh you can certainly still buy QR / disc wheels and hubs at this moment, and yes the wheels I have are hand built. The current gap is that I was after some cheap, ready-made QR/disc wheels as cheap and cheeful backup in case I ever have an issue with the single pair of wheels I have. I had the misfortune to start cycling and buy a bike when dics were new to road bikes but standards not stable.
Have you checked out taylor wheels?
(I haven't for your particular thing, but they are very good)
Rim brakes still stable.
Have no expectations of impending wobble.
This thing reminds me of drugs more and more, reel them in, get them little by little onto the stronger dead-end stuff.
Before folks know it they have no remaining concept of reality and simple pleasures, their pusher is their god.

Last edited:
I've not checked them, no. Thanks for the pointer.

The drug analogy is a good one, though I'd equally characterise it as beer, to wine, to spirits. And I'm vaguely looking at titanium frames myself, which seems very much equivalent to well aged malt Scotch, it could be argued.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Thanks for the reply.
Was there an issue with stiffness before? Disc brakes have been around a fair while - where there mass protests about lack of stiffness?
Can't help but think that the major stiffness issue is the industry trying to stiff consumers and pursue obsolecence. Cheered on by some fashionistas.
Edit - should stress cougle, i am not having a dig at you.
Thru-axles have been around on higher end MTBs for around 15 years.Most Trail/Enduro/DH rigs had them on the front fork at least.I first had them both front and rear on my MTB back in 2010.My 2007 Enduro SL had a HUGE 25mm thru-axle on the front!!
It was only a matter of time before they filtered down to skinny tyred bikes.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Why?
Driven by what?
Driven by the never ending quest by manufacturers to create "new standards".For a while 20mm Front and 10mm Rear was the "standard" on MTBs.Then it was 15mmF/12mmR.Creating new "standards" creates money.
Once Disc brakes started to get more popular on dropped barred bikes Bolt-thru was inevitable really.Sooner or later QR skewers will go down the same route on road bikes as they have on MTBs ie on the cheaper end stuff only.

Progress.....maybe:wacko:

The quick releases on my bikes weren't on lower end bikes.
(Even tho i picked up some for £30 or so)
The bikes aren't suddenly going to become lower end/poor because someone decides that they are so old tech/just so last year/before lunch.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
...Let’s break this down to some actual questions.
Has anyone looked at the J Guillem Orient, the Enigma Etape or the Van Nicholas Yukon Disc?

These are the ones that have tickled my fancy so far... with an Ultegra build and costing under £4K.
I’m 82% sure I don’t need to drop an extra £1k on Di2 or eTap - or that could always come later.

What about their gravel equivalents, the J Guillem Atalaya, the Enigma Escape, or the Van Nicholas Rowtag?
Do these offer the same or more? Or will they be less refined on the road? Anyone tried or bought?

What else should I be looking at?

All advice gratefully received, as always.
The Guillem Orient, Enigma Etape and Van Nicholas Yukon Disc would be my choice for lightweight touring on paved roads. I am still enjoying my own Van Nicholas Yukon that I bought in 2007 and it still does all I want it to, which is day rides, commuting and lightweight cycle holidays. My traditional caliper version is still made although it has evolved slightly over the years, integrated headset for example; although if I was buying now I'd choose the disc model. With modern travel clothing and cycle kit as far as I'm concerned carrying front and rear panniers on a tour like Lejog unless I was cycle camping isn't necessary; I would be more than happy with small rear panniers and a bar bag.

The J Guillem Atalaya, Enigma Escape, or Van Nicholas Rowtag would be my choice if I did want to take heavier loads or want the versatility of a bike that I intended to ride along gravel paths.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
The Guillem Orient, Enigma Etape and Van Nicholas Yukon Disc would be my choice for lightweight touring on paved roads. I am still enjoying my own Van Nicholas Yukon that I bought in 2007 and it still does all I want it to, which is day rides, commuting and lightweight cycle holidays. My traditional caliper version is still made although it has evolved slightly over the years, integrated headset for example; although if I was buying now I'd choose the disc model. With modern travel clothing and cycle kit as far as I'm concerned carrying front and rear panniers on a tour like Lejog unless I was cycle camping isn't necessary; I would be more than happy with small rear panniers and a bar bag.

The J Guillem Atalaya, Enigma Escape, or Van Nicholas Rowtag would be my choice if I did want to take heavier loads or want the versatility of a bike that I intended to ride along gravel paths.
Many thanks for your response, it's nice to hear that you're still happy with your Yukon. One consistent and reassuring factor with titanium owners seems to be that on the whole they remain content with their investment.

My search/build has stalled while work/the pandemic settles down a little, but my next plan is to visit the J. Laverack factory in Rutland. The J:ACK intrigues me, and may just be the middle ground that I'm looking for.
Good tyre clearance, for comfort/guards, yet not silly clearance like some of the gravel frames have, and lots of customisation available for geometry as well as for additional lugs etc.
Their frames aren't cheap, but as I said originally, I want to do this properly, without major compromises. If it takes me until next year to save up, then so be it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Many thanks for your response, it's nice to hear that you're still happy with your Yukon. One consistent and reassuring factor with titanium owners seems to be that on the whole they remain content with their investment.

This in spades.

As I may have mentioned before, everytime I sling my leg over my VN for a ride it feels like a new bike everytime. And I'm nowhere near thinking of getting rid, changing or upgrading it. Its a thing of beauty both in ride and in looks.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Its a thing of beauty both in ride and in looks.

No, no, that's not the bike Ian, that's you.

I still recall the start of that Brighton ride, watching your (rapidly departing) back, legs going up and down like pistons.

My plan was to stooge around at the back for a few miles to find my feet in the group.

Within a few yards, that changed to 'oh shoot, I'll never keep up with this lot'.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No, no, that's not the bike Ian, that's you.

I still recall the start of that Brighton ride, watching your (rapidly departing) back, legs going up and down like pistons.

My plan was to stooge around at the back for a few miles to find my feet in the group.

Within a few yards, that changed to 'oh shoot, I'll never keep up with this lot'.
Thanks.
But you did :okay:

Solecyclist

Good morning. I used to spend a lot of time around these parts, but have been absent for a while. Hope you’ve all been well.
Anyway, I‘m back because I have an itch, and hopefully you guys can help 😊

You’ll be stunned to learn that contrary to appearances, my 40th birthday is around the corner. Ive therefore decided that I must purchase a new Titanium bike, but it should replace my current commuter/tourer/winter steed rather than the carbon.
To set the scene I built up a Cervelo S2 frameset a few years back, so while it’s not mega current, it still looks great and rides well, so I’m happy with it for Sunday best for the time being. The winter bike is a 10 year old Boardman CX that’s been smashing, but is ready for retirement.

Budget is flexible. If I decide I want something I don’t have the cash for then I’ll save up for a bit longer. This bike is about getting it right, not just getting something.

Gravel is a fly in the ointment here. Initially I didn’t want it because I don’t ride on gravel. But it feels as though the marketing boffins have set out to convince the world that they need a gravel bike, and subsequently they are everywhere... and are the latest models with the latest tech. Maybe it’s just me, but looking at standard audax/tourer type models which are now a couple of years old makes it feel like I’m shopping for an iPhone 4.

Let’s break this down to some actual questions.
Has anyone looked at the J Guillem Orient, the Enigma Etape or the Van Nicholas Yukon Disc?

These are the ones that have tickled my fancy so far... with an Ultegra build and costing under £4K.
I’m 82% sure I don’t need to drop an extra £1k on Di2 or eTap - or that could always come later.

What about their gravel equivalents, the J Guillem Atalaya, the Enigma Escape, or the Van Nicholas Rowtag?
Do these offer the same or more? Or will they be less refined on the road? Anyone tried or bought?

What else should I be looking at?

All advice gratefully received, as always.

Top Bottom