Titanium Itch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Bought the Evoke in 56cm. It felt so natural, so fitted as soon as I started pedalling, I actually almost couldn't be bothered to ride the Etape. It was still good, but too high at the front and loads of handy bolt holes I'd never use.

Russ
View attachment 533323

View attachment 533324

View attachment 533325

View attachment 533326

View attachment 533327

View attachment 533328

View attachment 533329

View attachment 533330

View attachment 533331
Looks ace!
Doesn’t solve my problem though... as I’m keeping the Cervelo for speed duties, and those handy bolt holes are actually what I’m after!

Interesting comment re: the head tube height though. I want practical, but I still want sporty. More Range Rover than tractor, if you will.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Looks ace!
Doesn’t solve my problem though... as I’m keeping the Cervelo for speed duties, and those handy bolt holes are actually what I’m after!

Interesting comment re: the head tube height though. I want practical, but I still want sporty. More Range Rover than tractor, if you will.

You won't be wanting one with a 3 point hitch then :whistle:

I'll get my coat...

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks ace!

Enigma can customise their frames including the addition of brazed on rack mounts

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Gorgeous.

Remember to post pix when complete, pls!
I am planning to post a link to my Google.site as I did for my Raleigh retromod SPD build.

It's a great way of keeping the story unbroken and laying bare all the unexpected pitfalls/costs of doing it yourself!

Russ

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Looks ace!

Ring them up, go down there and ride an Etape.

If you actually speak to them, there are some interesting options not on the website.

I fully expected a 10 week wait, but it turned out there was a customer return of what I wanted, but the customer had ordered for SRAM e-Tap.

"Why?" I said. Turned out the first frame had got lost by the courier so they sent a replacement. The first frame then got delivered and the customer (unbelievably) returned the late arrival, still sealed.

It was immaculate and lacking Di2 holes. I said go for it, they whipped it into the workshop, drilled the Di2 holes and did a WAY less than website price deal on the frame and forks.

Incidentally, I was happy to go for bust on the ENVE fork option, but they said if the ENVE forks were still American made, then they'd recommend it. Since Mavic ownership, they're not hence the in house C-Six forks I bought for £250 less. They literally down-sold the forks.

Got money off the titanium seat clamp and two thru-axles appeared in the cart for no money too.

Can't fault the guys under the Covid circumstances and still got to meet some of the builders including their paint shop guy. I cannot tell you how amazing the paint was on a pair of forks he was spraying as part of a £1k job...

Russ

Last edited:

lane

Veteran

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I must agree about the Spa Elan, it looks a really great package that hopefully will still be around in a couple of years when I buy my retirement bike. I can't justify the price at the moment, but it is a definite for the future. Disc brakes, good tyre width and reasonable weight will probably see it replace my Equilibrium. The only thing missing in my view is through axles to future proof it.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Looks ace!

I have the Etape & the higher head tube does give it more comfort which was my main priority, but it can still shift a bit when you push hard :okay: If I compare it with my Kinesis winter bike it is a bit like a Range Rover v a tractor ^_^ (although tractor is maybe a bit harsh on the Kinesis) Certainly worth a visit down to see the range & have a word with the guys there. If you wanted a more sporty model I'm sure they would do one with extra mounting points for racks & guards 👍

jamin100

Guru
Finally finished my Ti build and took it out for a quick blast this morning.. It certainly didn't disappoint!

Last edited:

jamin100

Guru
How does it ride and what were the company like to deal with?

I confess I’m getting increasingly attracted to a J.Laverack ti bike with fully hidden cables and dynamo lighting in an Audax/light tourer build

It rides really well, however I will say that its the only titanium bike i've ever ridden so i've nothing ti wise to compare it to.
I've ridden plenty of aluminium & carbon bikes and its a better ride (comfort and handling wise) than all of them.

My last carbon bike was a SuperSix evo and it was stupidly light, so I notice this bike a little more on the hills, however my times are still comparable going up hill I benchmark everything against and I've lost a bit of fitness this year so i suspect the actual difference in speed up hill is negligible.
On the flats however, its much more comfortable over rough ground.

I didn't deal with the company, I bought the frame 2nd hand and believe I got a good deal on frame, fork, and bottom bracket. I've then bought a few new parts (crankset and brakes) and then transferred the remaining parts from my old bike.

Overall i'm really pleased with it. Still need to dial in the fit slightly, but that always takes me half a dozen rides or so on any bike.

Last edited:
Titanium people - just built up a lovely Planet X Tempest. What are you using to clean the frame ? My finger prints spoil the look at the moment.

Pics to follow when it's all adjusted.

Top Bottom