Titanium Itch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

froze

Über Member
I agree with others, Moots and Seven are far too expensive, the Enigma, or the Van Nicholas will serve you just as well, but I personally think those are too expensive, I mean if you have so much money you don't know what to do with it all then fine get the best, but if you're going use a credit card and pay it off over time, ehh, no, there are better alternatives for less money out there.

I would be checking out Planet X and their house brand as well as the Titus brand they carry; and check out the Ribble TI bikes.

Velochris

Über Member
Agreed with some posts above. Ignore how it is described "gravel....". Just ask yourself if it meets your needs.

For winter I'd still want mudguards. I wouldn't pay too much attention to if the geometry is "touring, race...". For most bikes, you could still get yourself low enough at the front to go a bit quicker.

However, for my 40th I went to the Pyrennes. I'd never ridden abroad and got to ride all the big climbs. The last morning I got to the top of the Tourmalet before anybody else. Had it all to myself and that memory will last longer than any bike (on the basis a titanium bike may last longer than I live, but I bet I wouldn't ride it for as as long as I live).

Just a thought and enjoy whatever you do/choose.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Good morning. I used to spend a lot of time around these parts, but have been absent for a while. Hope you’ve all been well.
Anyway, I‘m back because I have an itch, and hopefully you guys can help 😊

You’ll be stunned to learn that contrary to appearances, my 40th birthday is around the corner. Ive therefore decided that I must purchase a new Titanium bike, but it should replace my current commuter/tourer/winter steed rather than the carbon.
To set the scene I built up a Cervelo S2 frameset a few years back, so while it’s not mega current, it still looks great and rides well, so I’m happy with it for Sunday best for the time being. The winter bike is a 10 year old Boardman CX that’s been smashing, but is ready for retirement.

Budget is flexible. If I decide I want something I don’t have the cash for then I’ll save up for a bit longer. This bike is about getting it right, not just getting something.

Gravel is a fly in the ointment here. Initially I didn’t want it because I don’t ride on gravel. But it feels as though the marketing boffins have set out to convince the world that they need a gravel bike, and subsequently they are everywhere... and are the latest models with the latest tech. Maybe it’s just me, but looking at standard audax/tourer type models which are now a couple of years old makes it feel like I’m shopping for an iPhone 4.

Let’s break this down to some actual questions.
Has anyone looked at the J Guillem Orient, the Enigma Etape or the Van Nicholas Yukon Disc?

These are the ones that have tickled my fancy so far... with an Ultegra build and costing under £4K.
I’m 82% sure I don’t need to drop an extra £1k on Di2 or eTap - or that could always come later.

What about their gravel equivalents, the J Guillem Atalaya, the Enigma Escape, or the Van Nicholas Rowtag?
Do these offer the same or more? Or will they be less refined on the road? Anyone tried or bought?

What else should I be looking at?

All advice gratefully received, as always.
On the 26th, I will be riding an Evoke and an Etape, so I'll tell you after that!

Russ

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
...and...
Bought the Evoke in 56cm. It felt so natural, so fitted as soon as I started pedalling, I couldn't be bothered to ride the Etape. It had loads of handy bolt holes I'd never use and the Evoke was high enough at the front.

Russ

Last edited:

cheys03

Veteran
Oh yes, that’s lovely!

lane

Veteran
All you are doing is allowing the marketers to con you into believing that change automatically equates to progress and therefore whatever is the latest cycling fad must be better in some way than everything that preceded it. A very small proportion of change gives real world improvements, but 99% of it is just cycling industry BS designed to get you to keep replacing perfectly good bikes with new bikes that are just different to, but no better than, what you already have. Until recently, I was still using an iPhone 4, and it was just as capable of doing calls, texts and emails on than my current one. If I was buying one for myself and it wasn't work issue, I would still have one as I see no benefit to the latest models that are twice the size and several times the price!

I find the obsession with having latest spec especially odd in the case of something like a Titanium bike, because you are presumably going to keep it for a long time given the expense. Therefore, regardless of what spec you get when you buy, it will be "out of date" in a couple of years anyway, because the industry keeps changing things to try to drive upgrade sales. Unless you are prepared to stump up for a new one every couple of years, even at Titanium prices, you are going to fight a losing battle. You might as well settle on a useful, long-term, spec at the outset, irrespective of whether it is the latest hyped up fad or not. The reason some frames go for years without endless geometry changes is because they got the geometry right in the first place, so it doesn't need to be changed. Any bike that gets revised geometry every year or two must have had crap geometry to begin with, and the customers who bought them paid for the privilege of being used as the test guinea pigs.

I am literally amazed you think that

davidphilips

Veteran
Like titanium bikes and own 4 of them, titanium is great for bike frames both in looks, comfort and for long life.
My advice would be try before you buy. Just because its titanium steel carbon whatever does not mean you will like it or find that it is more comfortable than any other material.
My own view is that tyres and saddle have more to do with ride quality than frame material? Just my view.
Own 2 litespeeds, one set up as a single speed the other for fast club runs, An Enigma Etap as a winter bike and my favorite an Airborne.
Some pictures of them if you can spot them along some of my fleet?
Also consider a stainless steel bike frame, now i only have one of them but they are also worth considering?

Attachments

• 100_8965[1].JPG
    100_8965[1].JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_8966[1].JPG
    100_8966[1].JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_8967[1].JPG
    100_8967[1].JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_8968[1].JPG
    100_8968[1].JPG