Titanium Itch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not even wearing a face mask. I'm SUCH a maverick...

Ta.

Magpies

I must agree about the Spa Elan, it looks a really great package that hopefully will still be around in a couple of years when I buy my retirement bike. I can't justify the price at the moment, but it is a definite for the future. Disc brakes, good tyre width and reasonable weight will probably see it replace my Equilibrium. The only thing missing in my view is through axles to future proof it.

I agree! I use a rim-braked, narrower-tyred Spa Ti Audax - which suits me for road biking and light touring - and it's great.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I use either baby wipes or mechanics wipes to clean down my ti bikes & then a quick rub over with a drop of baby oil on a cloth leaves a lovely finish :okay: If mrs SD ever sees the baby oil in the garage I'm not sure she'll believe my explanation :laugh:

Seems to me they are on lighter roadie wheels.

Not so much for those of us who like to get more than a handful of spokes for our money.
Thanks.
One more thing i don't have to bother about being "on trend" with. Can just ride my bike/s.
Scottish's post did puzzle me.
I reckon the best way to future proof yourself is to let everyone else chase the latest bright idea/s.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Through axles are on more and more mountain bikes as well, particularly those a little above budget level.

They are still not much of a thing on touring/trekking bikes, although I did see a flash Koga World Traveller which has them.

That's a £3k+ bike, but I suppose through axles may trickle down on touring/trekking bikes in the coming years.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Through axles are on more and more mountain bikes as well, particularly those a little above budget level.

They are still not much of a thing on touring/trekking bikes, although I did see a flash Koga World Traveller which has them.

That's a £3k+ bike, but I suppose through axles may trickle down on touring/trekking bikes in the coming years.
My other half has a Kinesis ATR which has through axles and I see them appearing more often on new models. Even Genesis have gone thru-axles on the refreshed Croix de Fer. TA are well established on the MTB scene, and you can see the drift to road via touring bikes which tend to be heavier loaded. Im not sure how necessary they are, but the trickle has started.
Of course, yopu may also wish to consider compatibility with 650b wheels as the trend for wider tyres expands :whistle:

and you can see the drift to road via touring bikes which tend to be heavier loaded. Im not sure how necessary they are, but the trickle has started.
Of course, yopu may also wish to consider compatibility with 650b wheels as the trend for wider tyres expands :whistle:
But if you were to buy a bike without a through axle, ie skewers, would you face any real problems in the future?
As for heavily loaded, I at times carry a shameful amount of stuff and I'd be amazed to break an axle. Folk have been touring for over a century without significant issues.
Sorry, just trying to get my head around these things.

But if you were to buy a bike without a through axle, ie skewers, would you face any real problems in the future?
It's already the case that finding a disc brake wheel for QR is problematic as nearly all disc brake wheels currenlty are through axle (I've been looking recently). It's still possible to buy QR disc hubs and build a wheel, but that situation may not last. I was specifically trying to find some cheapish spare QR/disc brake wheels to prolong the life of my frame and wish I'd done so a couple of years ago as the 'cheap' bit of that seems hard to achive already.

As for heavily loaded, I at times carry a shameful amount of stuff and I'd be amazed to break an axle. Folk have been touring for over a century without significant issues.
Sorry, just trying to get my head around these things.

Is it not that the hubs are stiffer with the through axle ? Wasn't really an issue with rim brakes but tighter tolerances on discs.

It's already the case that finding a disc brake wheel for QR is problematic as nearly all disc brake wheels currenlty are through axle (I've been looking recently). It's still possible to buy QR disc hubs and build a wheel, but that situation may not last. I was specifically trying to find some cheapish spare QR/disc brake wheels to prolong the life of my frame and wish I'd done so a couple of years ago as the 'cheap' bit of that seems hard to achive already.
Thanks for the education vapours. Seems like a good reason to stick with rim brakes, which i long ago decided to on my getting on for ten bikes. I maintain my hubs pretty well these days (used to just leave them be) , have some spares and from now on intend to rerim wheels. Sod chasing the dragon.
With regard to your issue, surely NOS stuff is available on the bay? I had the idea that you built your own wheels. If not, good time to start.

Last edited:
Top Bottom