Titanium to save weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Not all titanium bolts will equal a weight reduction of your bike.
Titanium has exceptional strength for its weight, this does not however mean its a light material.. replacing bolts in environments which are not highly stressed such as water bottle cage bolts is pointless and it often results in adding weight. Alloy bottle cage bolts are often lighter than titanium (I'm sad enough to have spent time weighing such things) this is why I use nylon bolts in such situations.

Mr Haematocrit

With regards to that advert the bolts seem to be made of grade 5 titanium which is pretty reasonable.

Grade 5, also known as Ti6Al4V, Ti-6Al-4V or Ti 6-4, is the most commonly used alloy. It has a chemical composition of 6% aluminium, 4% vanadium, 0.25% (maximum) iron, 0.2% (maximum) oxygen, and the remainder titanium. It is significantly stronger than commercially pure titanium while having the same stiffness and thermal properties (excluding thermal conductivity, which is about 60% lower in Grade 5 Ti than in CP Ti). Among its many advantages, it is heat treatable. This grade is an excellent combination of strength, corrosion resistance, weld and fabricability.

@ V

Noticed this when looking to buy a headset for new build. Carbon ones were 3 times the price yet nearly all were heavier then the same name alloy versions!! Sometimes cyclists are drawn to a material for other reasons beyond durability and weight savings.

I do have a bit of a carbon fetish though. :shy:

Mr Haematocrit

I went for Ti bolts on my Van Nic.
Because I wanted to. Simple really.

you wanted something else to polish.. at least be honest and fess up :laugh:

Top Bottom