To aero or not to aero?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gmtanderson

Hi guys!

usual punter here! So I’ll give you all a background on me and my riding first quickly without sounding like too much of n*bhead.

I’m 28 and based in Essex, so yeah pretty flat... I’ve been cycling around 4 months and have a specialized Alez elite, I really like it but I fancy something carbon. I cycle between 230-350k a week. On runs of 80k-100k I can keep 32.6kph as my average with around 500-700m of climbing involved. I know making me fast is going to largely be me and my fitness, but I’m wondering if my riding would be more suited to an aero bike or carbon racer. I would like to do some sportives and such in the future but I’m still a novice. The bikes I’m interested in are,

Giant propel advanced 1 disc
Specialized tarmac comp disc
Specialized roubaix comp
And the ribble aero 883 (which I can get with di2 carbon bars and mavic alloy wheels for the same money weighing in around 8.7-9kg)

would an aero bike be better suited to me with the more rolling terrain, or would something like the roubaix be just as fast. If anyone has any of these bikes please give me some feedback, also I would probably upgrade to some carbon wheels at some point!

regards

George

DSK

I'm no where near the level of many riders but, have the following so not far off what you have/want.

Trek Alpha - just sold.
Giant TCR Di2
Giant Propel 2017 105

According to my Garmin, I'm always quicker on the Propel.

The Propel despite being a focused aero bike, is surprisingly VERY comfortable and just that much easier to maintain momentum on. Head down, elbows in, power on and the propel f*cking flies. On the climbs for me, it climbs every bit as well as the others and dare I say again, feels that bit easier despite the TCR being lighter.

Take the same person regardless of fitness, put them on a decent aero bike and they will always be faster on the aero no doubt.

I can honestly say, try a Propel, its an exceptional machine that you won't regret buying and enjoy riding.

Last edited:

DSK

Whilst the above post is valid, there is nothing wrong with an Allez, why aren't we all driving a Vauxhall Astra? Why do people drive, sports cars, super cars, luxury cars, estates, 4x4's, trucks etc? We buy them for a purpose... they all get us from A to B but, they do it in their own way or, fulfil a specific purpose....... same with bicycles imo.

Mostly Aero for flat, mostly lightweight for hills. A lot of the latest greatest aero bikes are super light as well, so they work well for both. Be aware that aero bikes tend to be more ‘slab sided‘ in design, and usually come with deeper section rims, which can make riding in a side wind ‘interesting’. You expend 85 percent of your effort moving air out of the way, which is of less consequence going up hill, than down hill, or on the flat. The bike’s influence on that is insignificant in relation to the rider as well, so working on your form and riding position is equally important.

Reactions: DSK

vickster

Legendary Member
Whilst the above post is valid, there is nothing wrong with an Allez, why aren't we all driving a Vauxhall Astra? Why do people drive, sports cars, super cars, luxury cars, estates, 4x4's, trucks etc? We buy them for a purpose... they all get us from A to B but, they do it in their own way or, fulfil a specific purpose....... same with bicycles imo.
To compensate :whistle:

DSK

So if the OP's not a pro, he's not allowed a better bike with his hard earned money? He rides enough to be able to get pleasure from a better bike as well as, see/feel tangible differences from a different/better bike.

I'm not a pro but, out of all the bikes I have had previously and have currently, the Propel is what makes me itch to get out for a ride and I enjoy it the most when I'm riding. That counts for a lot! Under the same conditions, the Propel is also faster than the others. There have been many days I wouldn't have gone out for a ride if it wasn't for the Propel doing to me what none of the other bikes do.

Why not have a bike that really makes you want to get out and ride and even better if it picks you up and makes a tangible difference for the better.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
So if the OP's not a pro, he's not allowed a better bike with his hard earned money? He rides enough to be able to get pleasure from a better bike as well as, see/feel tangible differences from a different/better bike.
Who said that?

davidphilips

Veteran
Dont think any one said any thing about any one not allowed to buy what ever they want with there own money? Agree with you about having a bike or bikes that makes you want to cycle, (i have a garage full of bikes) My own view is why have one if you can have two and if any one wants more than two and have the funds and space why not?

I'm not a pro but, out of all the bikes I have had previously and have currently, the Propel is what makes me itch to get out for a ride and I enjoy it the most when I'm riding. That counts for a lot! Under the same conditions, the Propel is also faster than the others. There have been many days I wouldn't have gone out for a ride if it wasn't for the Propel doing to me what none of the other bikes do.

Why not have a bike that really makes you want to get out and ride and even better if it picks you up and makes you want to go for ride.
I couldn’t agree more.

davidphilips

Veteran
Not so long ago i went to look at a used bike (not for myself and did not want it) but the point is the bike was an old Flying scot old type non areo bike with the old non aero box rim wheels, limited gear ratios etc the owner (who i know) done time trails on it in the 60s and quite often bettered 57 minutes for the 25 miles on it.
Owner told me and shown me pictures of himself racing on the scot doing 10,25, and even 100 mile time trails on it with no aero helmet etc what i got from it was that its nice to have a bike that looks great and makes you want to cycle but the most important thing to make a cyclist go faster is the cyclist themselves.
Far as i know the faster a cyclist cycles the more benefit it is to be more aero, watched a bit on going aero and yes pleanty of gains to be made, wheels frame h/barshelmet etc but the best gain made was to just bend elbows and tuck in. Watch this (any one wanting to go faster or go aero ) its very interesting? Opinions most welcome, know since watching it when solo i try and tuck in a bit to try and learn to go more aero.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd0fXhDkH84&fbclid=IwAR00chgYdHHiG7zahdqC9xE_7nrskOmFxJijzPN7jleLfukEhEoYn2w1NNw

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Aero bikes are usually not as comfortable so depends what you get out if riding a bike. For Essex lanes I’d stick with a road bike. For extra speed and comfort you could add some tri bars which will add 3-5km/h to your speed

DSK

There are some good videos and reviews by GCN/Cycling Weekly/Bike Radar on aero stuff and the OP recognises the biggest difference is himself and we all know that too.

This was an owners review and a bike radar review that made me look at a used Propel when I failed to find a TCR for so long.

My point is, I find it that much easier to maintain momentum on the Propel compared to the others therefore making it easier to ride. I can't speak for other aero bikes but, the Propel is known to mix comfort and speed very well and for me, far from being a pro, I find it very comfortable and breaks the myths about the comforts of an aero road bike....... since buying it, nothing else even the TCR with Di2 does it for me.

With the option of a Roubaix on the list, the choice of bikes are quite diverse so the OP would be best advised to get a suitable test ride to compare them and see what fits best for him.

rivers

How far can I go?
My summer bike is an aero road bike. It's a blast and comfortable to ride. I've done everything from 10 mile TTs to a 208 mile coast to coast, and a 4 day bikepacking trip from Bristol to Bude and back on it. Fit is key. With the exception of the bikepacking trip, I have no issues with hills (completely wrong gearing for a normally 7.2kg bike but was about a 16kg bike for the trip).

Top Bottom