to be or not to be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

galaxy1

I've recently been eyeing up a specialized langster at my LBS and given it a test ride.Man is it quick.I've been umming and erring about parting with £400 for it though.I want to join a cycle club and go on longer rides ,not all of which will be flat plus I'm guessing most club riders will have gears.DO you think a fixie would be up to this type of riding?

Chris James

Über Member
The fixie will be up to it - but you might not.

I have seen people riding fixed in the Pennines. Not something I would like to do myself but it can be done.

Personally I think it makes sense to always have a decent geared bike first and then have a fixie as a commuter, trainer or vanity project if you live somewhere flattish.

Canrider

Guru
Yeah, if it's a fast-riding club you'll almost certainly want the gears (btw, is it the Clifton CC?).

dudi

I have a fixie for commuting & training, and a geared bike for weekend runs (or if i'm running late for work) it's a lot faster ona geared bike if there are any hills around... you would deffo need the gears round your way for a club ride... the clubs rdes round here are normally going over 20mph average on their runs, no way you'll keep up with that on a fixie, unless it is dead flat and you have a good gear for speed.

But of course if you have a good gear for speed on the flat you wont be going up many hills without getting off to push!

but... and it is a big but... fixie riding is brilliant. it's a good training base to get the pedal stroke corect. and it won't half improve your fitness!

Since I put my fixie together at the start of the year, i reckon I've knocked 3 or 4 minutes of my 10m time on weekend runs... and I've lost about 14lbs of flab...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Most hills aren't such a major problem on fixed, seriously. Now some of you might laugh knowing that I ride in London, but my commute takes in a few little bumps up to Biggin Hill, which is in hilly old Kent. Crystal Palace isn't a problem, from either side, for example.

I concur with Mike. Although I'm not a club rider and my fitness isn't what it was, I've found hills easier than I expected. In some way, hills are easier than on the geared bike. Because there's only one gear, there's only two options - get off and push, or stay on and pedal. If I opt for the second, I seem to get up the hill quicker than if I were changing down, losing momentum, fretting about pedal cadence etc. I've overtaken other geared cyclists on hills as they change down and get slower.

However I wouldn't recommend a fixed for a hilly club run unless you are very sure of your abilities.

OP
OP
galaxy1

galaxy1

At the moment I just use the bike to commute to and from work but I'd like to do more riding just for fun (plus I'd like to get fitter and faster).This is why I'm thinking about joining a bike club (clifton cc probs).I really like the whole simplicity of a fixie (I've just had to replace loads of parts on my galaxy and its working out quite expensive)where theres less to go wrong .
I don't know

galaxy1 said:
I've recently been eyeing up a specialized langster at my LBS and given it a test ride.Man is it quick.I've been umming and erring about parting with £400 for it though.I want to join a cycle club and go on longer rides ,not all of which will be flat plus I'm guessing most club riders will have gears.DO you think a fixie would be up to this type of riding?

what club are you looking at joining? as im from york and i think i know the bike shop you are on obout can you pm me with the name I might be able to help with the cost?

dudi

I agree that hills aren't a "problem" on a fixie... but you'll fid it very hard to keep up with your gear riding clubbie counterparts over a long period involving hills, purely because you have to work harder up the hills, harder down the hills and cant go as fast on the flat...

you'll have more fun though.

And for a commuter, a fixie is perfect, very little maintenance and not a lot to go wrong en-route... poifect!

Top Bottom