To Brompton or not to Brompton?

Discussion in 'Folding Bikes' started by katom, 29 Dec 2018.

1. katom

katom Active Member

Hey all,
    Just need some advice on whether to purchase a second hand Brompton or not. 2017 Model with Mudguards, Pannier Rack + Bag - has only been ridden once. Selling at £795

Essentially I'm looking for a folding bike, as I tour the UK for work and wanted something to get me places instead of relying on small-town public transport.

Would you reccomend the Brompton to a first-time folding bike person, or something else?

Many thanks,

K

2. Yes. 100%. Buy a Brompton. If not that one buy a new one.

theclaud and katom like this.
  3. 12boy

12boy Über Member

Sounds good, but what is this particular model? Big price difference between a fenderless 1 speed and the six speed model with fenders. Also, how tall you are could make a difference between a M model for example and an S, which I have. I am only 5' 8"and if were 6 feet or more I might go with an M.

katom likes this.
  4. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Is it a model that suits your needs? As @12boy says there are several versions.
    Brompton are well engineered, hold their value and fold small but you could buy two bikes from competitors Dahon & Tern for that money. Weight will be similar.
    You could try one from one of Brompton's docks.

katom likes this.
  5. simongt

simongt Über Member

As two happy owners of Bromptons and having previously owned Dahons & Giant Halfways, the GLW and I recommend them without reservation for the uses you have in mind. ^_^ :thumbsup:

Blue Hills, katom and mickle like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    katom

katom Active Member

Thanks everyone, I think I've decided to buy a M6L 2018 w/ mudguards from CycleSurgey, as the second-hand one is only a 3 gear. Mind you, there is only a £10 difference between the 2018 and 2019 model, is it worth it?

I'm thinking the 'M' handlebar over the 'S', as I need room to carry luggage and I'm quite inclined to their tote bag. I am 5"6 though, so maybe the 'M' will be too tall for me?

Cycleops likes this.
  7. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

I’m no Brompton expert but I’m sure someone will be along to give you some better advice on the bars. Try them both if you can, you can angle the M bars forward or back a bit but they do do give you a more ‘sit up and beg’ position whilst the straight ones will make you lean forward more putting your weight more on the front. This will be an advantage if carrying something heavy on the rear carrier.

8. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

I have taken my 3 speed brommie up alpine passes but thatbdid involve long periods riding out of the saddle to compensate for the higher ratio of the lowest gear.

9. 12boy

12boy Über Member

I would consider the S at your height. I would seriously consider spending 750 . I was a bit confused did you mean 2019 or 2017? How much is the 2018? In my ignorance I am thinking London is fairly flat and a 3 speed may suffice. I have a 3 speed with close ratio ( 177%) and have outfitted this with a second chainring which gets me down fairly low. I also converted my 1 speed wheel to a 2 speed and can go fairly low with that as well. If you get a 6 speed none of that should be necessary.

10. annedonnelly

annedonnelly Girl from the North Country

Always wise to try before you buy but I'm 5'5" and the M is perfect for me. There's a little bit of movement possible in the position of the handlebars to bring them a bit closer to you if you need that.

Personally I think the second hand one sounds like a real bargain...

11. simongt

simongt Über Member

My GLW is 1.63m tall; 5' 4" in old currency, and she has absolutely no handling issues with her M3. :bicycle: :thumbsup:

12. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Can we see some pics ? ;)

13. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Pics On PC. Will see sometime this week if I remember.

Cycleops likes this.
  14. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

It does, not least because it includes a Brommie bag which would cost £100+ to buy separately.

However, Brommies are now in Halfords/Cycle Surgery.

I was offered £100 off in Cycle Surgery at the MetroCentre without asking for prices.

Once the discounters get hold of a brand, the used values plummet.

15. alicat

alicat Legendary Member

The 'S' version is for people who want a sporty, head-down position. The 'M' version is fine for me at 5'5''.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice