To Brompton or not to Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

katom

Hey all,
Just need some advice on whether to purchase a second hand Brompton or not. 2017 Model with Mudguards, Pannier Rack + Bag - has only been ridden once. Selling at £795

Essentially I'm looking for a folding bike, as I tour the UK for work and wanted something to get me places instead of relying on small-town public transport.

Would you reccomend the Brompton to a first-time folding bike person, or something else?

Many thanks,

K

Yes. 100%. Buy a Brompton. If not that one buy a new one.

12boy

Guru
Sounds good, but what is this particular model? Big price difference between a fenderless 1 speed and the six speed model with fenders. Also, how tall you are could make a difference between a M model for example and an S, which I have. I am only 5' 8"and if were 6 feet or more I might go with an M.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Is it a model that suits your needs? As @12boy says there are several versions.
Brompton are well engineered, hold their value and fold small but you could buy two bikes from competitors Dahon & Tern for that money. Weight will be similar.
You could try one from one of Brompton's docks.

OP
OP
katom

katom

Sounds good, but what is this particular model? Big price difference between a fenderless 1 speed and the six speed model with fenders. Also, how tall you are could make a difference between a M model for example and an S, which I have. I am only 5' 8"and if were 6 feet or more I might go with an M.

Thanks everyone, I think I've decided to buy a M6L 2018 w/ mudguards from CycleSurgey, as the second-hand one is only a 3 gear. Mind you, there is only a £10 difference between the 2018 and 2019 model, is it worth it?

I'm thinking the 'M' handlebar over the 'S', as I need room to carry luggage and I'm quite inclined to their tote bag. I am 5"6 though, so maybe the 'M' will be too tall for me?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m no Brompton expert but I’m sure someone will be along to give you some better advice on the bars. Try them both if you can, you can angle the M bars forward or back a bit but they do do give you a more ‘sit up and beg’ position whilst the straight ones will make you lean forward more putting your weight more on the front. This will be an advantage if carrying something heavy on the rear carrier.

12boy

Guru
I would consider the S at your height. I would seriously consider spending 750 . I was a bit confused did you mean 2019 or 2017? How much is the 2018? In my ignorance I am thinking London is fairly flat and a 3 speed may suffice. I have a 3 speed with close ratio ( 177%) and have outfitted this with a second chainring which gets me down fairly low. I also converted my 1 speed wheel to a 2 speed and can go fairly low with that as well. If you get a 6 speed none of that should be necessary.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Thanks everyone, I think I've decided to buy a M6L 2018 w/ mudguards from CycleSurgey, as the second-hand one is only a 3 gear. Mind you, there is only a £10 difference between the 2018 and 2019 model, is it worth it?

I'm thinking the 'M' handlebar over the 'S', as I need room to carry luggage and I'm quite inclined to their tote bag. I am 5"6 though, so maybe the 'M' will be too tall for me?

Always wise to try before you buy but I'm 5'5" and the M is perfect for me. There's a little bit of movement possible in the position of the handlebars to bring them a bit closer to you if you need that.

Personally I think the second hand one sounds like a real bargain...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Personally I think the second hand one sounds like a real bargain...

It does, not least because it includes a Brommie bag which would cost £100+ to buy separately.

However, Brommies are now in Halfords/Cycle Surgery.

I was offered £100 off in Cycle Surgery at the MetroCentre without asking for prices.

Once the discounters get hold of a brand, the used values plummet.

alicat

Legendary Member
The 'S' version is for people who want a sporty, head-down position. The 'M' version is fine for me at 5'5''.

Top Bottom