Today, I spent some time on an...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

..exercise bike in a GYM (yes them pretentious posey places) - I actually positioned myself facing a wall and so I couldnt see anyone unless I turned around...

I went as I didnt want to go out in 0'c and end up near dead !

1 hour 30 mins I did...juh know what for all those soft arse fat jobs - you can only 'ride' for an hour ??? how sad; then the machine resets and you have to start again....? rediculous..

Anyhow - they comp. distance said I'd done 32kms in an hour then when I carried on and reset the comp. i done another 10km..it was about right...

I'm sure i'll be visiting that place again...maybe in the evening - wonder if I'll get the 'you've been on that for how long' question...

They even have a HRM set into the handle bars VERY handy ;) and you can watch tv on the screen with the readout..though cheryl cole and ex-factor didnt really task my fancy...

jimboalee

Don't believe the distance readout on a gym bike.

Either do HR sessions or Power sessions/intervals.

The gym bike resets after an hour because LifeFitness in their wisdom have decided no-one but the very best ( who won't be using their stuff anyway ) will be able to ride at 350 Watts output for 60 minutes continuously.

Using a gym bike for 'normal' riding of comparable exertion to riding to work is NOT what they are for.
A gym bike is for simulating 10% hills for longer timespans than are available to city dwellers.

Next time, warm-up for 20 minutes on 175 Watts setting and then crank it up to 325 - 350 Watts and see if you get to the 60 minute reset :becool:

jimboalee

yenrod said:
..exercise bike in a GYM (yes them pretentious posey places) - I actually positioned myself facing a wall and so I couldnt see anyone unless I turned around...

I went as I didnt want to go out in 0'c and end up near dead !

1 hour 30 mins I did...juh know what for all those soft arse fat jobs - you can only 'ride' for an hour ??? how sad; then the machine resets and you have to start again....? rediculous..

Anyhow - they comp. distance said I'd done 32kms in an hour then when I carried on and reset the comp. i done another 10km..it was about right...

I'm sure i'll be visiting that place again...maybe in the evening - wonder if I'll get the 'you've been on that for how long' question...

They even have a HRM set into the handle bars VERY handy :becool: and you can watch tv on the screen with the readout..though cheryl cole and ex-factor didnt really task my fancy...

This is a bare-face lie. You faced the wall so the others could see your tight butt and massive calves....:smile:

Hont

Guru
I spent nearly two hours on the turbo the other Saturday, because there was a good rugby game on and I thought by doing a long non-intense session, rather than a shorter intense one, I'd be able to concentrate on the game more.

Spent too much time with the weight on my arms and ended up pinching a nerve in my neck.

Wish the turbo had reset after an hour, I wouldn't be in pain now.

jimboalee

I went to the gym this evening. The bikes their are looking out of the window so I've got a reflected view of the others.

Did 20 mins at 175 Watts. 175 Watts is 1/4 HP ( or one horses leg at a canter ).

Then cranked it up to level 22 which is about 325 Watts absorption.

Lasted 12 minutes with HR at 177. Not bad for a 50 year old.
Standing up all the way.
Machine reckoned it was 19 kCals/min.

That's what a gym bike is for. Almost 200 kcals in ten minutes and legs burning like the fires of hell itself.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

jimboalee said:
I went to the gym this evening. The bikes their are looking out of the window so I've got a reflected view of the others.

Did 20 mins at 175 Watts. 175 Watts is 1/4 HP ( or one horses leg at a canter ).

Then cranked it up to level 22 which is about 325 Watts absorption.

Lasted 12 minutes with HR at 177. Not bad for a 50 year old.
Standing up all the way.
Machine reckoned it was 19 kCals/min.

That's what a gym bike is for. Almost 200 kcals in ten minutes and legs burning like the fires of hell itself.

Thats a dam good go that Jim - well done...I was 'out of saddle' for bits on. between, 18-24 (to vary things)...and the HR went way upto 150 odd which surprised me as ive gone higher...but'am building things slowly for next year and the weather's a bit off-putting for cycling now but as long I think slowly but surely and not rush it then I'll be ok..as i;m sure alot of us need to think this too as you got to go steady on now...well thats what I feel anyhow...

Though I disagree Jim about you only saying all out efforts on them as they are no that bad ive found OK its not your bike BUT its something that stops you what could be heavy damage to yourself - like I could go out on the bike now in this weather & strain a muscle/slip off...or something. Riding in this weather is mega-hard SERIOUSLY - so for me they're good !

Thanks for the advice & you sound further on in fitness, for now, than me :tongue:

:rolleyes:

jimboalee

Spent some time in the gym this morning.

My calcs say 275 Watts is the power requirement to get my Dawes Giro 500 up a 5% at 10 mph.

Target - Climb a mile.

1/2 mile vertical is 10 miles forward at 5%, so it's 2 hours riding at 275 Watts.

Mission accomplished. 2000 kCals :sad:

That's set me up for toworrow's dinner. ;)

Noodley

With all this cryptic talk of gym visits in lycra I reckon Yenners and Jimbo are spies.

Mince spies.

Top Bottom