Today's Yellow Sticker Bargains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I saw a certain someone with a trolley full of yellow stickers in Ely Tesco this evening, about 8.15pm... :okay:

Ummmm yesss, guilty as charged. :biggrin:

You could've come over and said hello. :hello:

Picked up a couple of pork joints for my lovely neighbour, scallops, smoked salmon and beef rib for me (the latter off the counter on a half price offer but also had £12 of vouchers), plus a few trays of party canapes, two cakes and twelve pints of organic milk. Will also be sharing the milk with my neighbour as he's a porridge-in-the-morning man.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Anyone had any good YS buys over the hols?

Had some good ones here. Filled the empty drawer in the freezer with sausages, topside of beef, ribeye beef, free range bronze turkey and trout fillets. Also picked up loads of cheese (half a kilo of brie, half a kilo of parmesan and likewise of stilton), olives (they were flogging off whole unopened boxes from the deli counter) and smoked salmon. Also did really well with the clearance chocolates, stocking up on green & black, thornton's and toblerone.

Plus had the inevitable glut of party canapes. At £5 a tray I would rather make my own, but at 50p a tray, I don't mind. Some were really nice (the chicken massaman wonton cups, tempura king prawns, crayfish cocktails), others less so. The mini steak pies were rather meh, as were the risotto balls.

Ah, you win some, you lose some.

gbb

Legendary Member
A pair of dressed trout, £3.08, about a 25% reduction. One in the fidge, might try it with rice and something tomorrow night...the other is in the freezer.
A swede, a mix veg pack for stew, both heavily reduced...theyll go in my wifes soup maker.

There was something else...cant remember now.

vickster

Legendary Member
Honey and sunflower loaf from Asda, 10p down from £1.50
Still fresh enough to toast, filling kitchen with smell of honey, goes rather well with Brie :hungry:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Went yellow stickering in Tesco this evening.

Not much to be had with respect to chilled stuff (there never is at this time of year, nature of the beast), but there was loads of pre-packed bread, pastries and cakes at 95% off and a ridiculous amount of fruit & veg at 90% off. Suited me, as that was what I was looking for. Got broccoli, sweetheart cabbage, peas, beans, new potatoes, clementines, apricots, pears, papayas and avocados. Plus bread, croissants and welsh cakes. Also picked up some yoghurts, prawns and coleslaw.

And I even got paid to take the peas away. :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
From Wednesdays bargains I made this tonight...
20180111_163022.jpg

£1.50 for a trout, some rice and peas. Just simply thrown together, no fuss or pretence. Nice it was too.
Preceeded by home made swede, potato and carrot soup with a dash of garlic and onion..that must have cost pennies, mostly made from yellow sticker bargains.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Looks good @gbb :hungry:

Tonight's supper here was entirely YS as well; a slab of gammon, fried till crispy around the edges, free range egg sunny side up, steamed peas, carrots and green beans, plus a chunk of garlic ciabatta. Oh, and a Heston mince pie to finish off. :hungry:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
An unexpected YS bonanza last week. :wahhey:

Ducked into a wee Co-op in Hackney to get out of the rain. They had a job lot of Dr Oetker's "cooking" chocolate on YS - the 35% milk and the 72% dark, all still with more than a year to run on the date. At 47p a bar, I wasn't exactly going to say no... :whistle:

I now have 3kg of top-notch chocolate stashed in my cupboard. And no, I didn't clean them out. :angel:

Haven't tried the dark chocolate as of yet, but the milk chocolate is very :hungry: and rather reminiscent of green & blacks.

gbb

Legendary Member
20180207_173034.jpg

Stupid not to.
Lean mince, a regular purchase for us but always gets put in the freezer so mildly approaching out of date us irrelevant as we'll cook it within hours of defrosting so half price or thereabouts saving.
Lurpak spread...I usually get Asda own brand because I'm a tight wad...but this is cheaper...and much better....why wouldn't you ?

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
No brainer @gbb :okay:

Is that a kilo tub of Lurpak? If so, s'not a bad buy. :smile: Mind, I get the Tesco version of it and don't notice the difference as the butter content is much of a muchness.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Good YS hunting in Tesco last night. No sign of Big Hair or Tall Guy - which really made for a pleasant change. :dance: I guess that when stuff is *only* marked down by 70 or 75%, it isn't marked down enough for them. :whistle: Now don't get me wrong, who *doesn't* like 95% markdowns, but I'd much rather pay that wee bit more just to avoid getting flattened. 70 or 75% off is still pretty good by me... ^_^

In the end, it was just me and two of the Wednesday Ladies with attendant husbands.

Picked up ham, smoked turkey, roast beef, pork pie, quiche and danish blue off the deli counter, plus 6 pints of organic full cream milk (a 4pt and a 2pt), yoghurt, smoked salmon, vegetable medleys, carrots, parsnips, oranges, pears, a mango, plums, avocados, wholemeal bread, fruit loaf, hot cross buns, some chocolate desserts and a box of cream cakes. Oh, and two bunches of carnations and a lovely bouquet.

With this, plus with the bits that I managed to get on Sunday and what's in the freezer, am all set for a good fortnight now. :biggrin:

Top Bottom