Today's Yellow Sticker Bargains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That's on my "to do" list for tomorrow. Making butter that is. :smile:

Managed to acquire some double cream on YS this evening at 10p a tub. Given that butter has gone up again since last week, it's worth a whirl.

Have you done it before?

It's easier and quicker if you have the cream at room temperature, not straight from the fridge.

glasgowcyclist

You could always dry or freeze the chillis. Or make chilli jam.

How many chillies are needed for this? My wife has a small plant and the little chillies it's producing are very hot.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Have you done it before?

It's easier and quicker if you have the cream at room temperature, not straight from the fridge.

No, I've never tried making it before, so thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Got just over two pints of cream (4 x 300ml tubs) so I should, assuming things go to plan, end up with about half a kilo of butter.

glasgowcyclist

No, I've never tried making it before, so thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Got just over two pints of cream (4 x 300ml tubs) so I should, assuming things go to plan, end up with about half a kilo of butter.

Here's a quick video guide showing how it's done. I keep my mixer on its lowest setting and that seems to do fine. You will get a lot of splashing so make sure you've got a sizeable bowl, especially if you're making that lot all at once.

I agree with one of the comments that you should use very cold (preferably iced) water to rinse out more of the buttermilk so it doesn't spoil quickly. I refill the bowl after each wash, three washes is usually enough. Just squish the butter through your hands several times until the water turns cloudy, it'll eventually stay clear. Discard this water.

If you want it salted, add salt to the washing water and not to the butter. I can't say how much as I wasn't paying attention when I learned, and I prefer unsalted anyway.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Oooo, thanks for that - and for the tips. :hugs:

My mini kenwood isn't the biggest, so I may make it in two batches and then wash it all in one go once that's done. I do prefer salted butter, but I can just add the salt bit by bit and taste as I go along.

Didn't get round to it today as my spare time was taken up by making a plum crumble with the last of the vics from the garden and helping my neighbour parcel up bacon for his freezer - they had ten, yes, ten CASES of back bacon on YS in Tesco last night. :eek:

Picked up a kilo of smoked back bacon for me and two kilos of unsmoked for him as I know he has two or three fry-ups a week.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
For @glasgowcyclist - a recipe for chilli jam from one of my go-to books on preserves, which is from the WI...

500g ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
4 red finger chillies, deseeded (optional) and roughly chopped *
2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
2.5 cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon thai fish sauce (suppose you could use worcestershire sauce)
225g soft brown sugar
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Put half the tomatoes plus the chillies, garlic, ginger and fish sauce in a blender. Whizz until smooth. Pour the mixture into a pan along with the sugar and vinegar. Slowly bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.

Pulse the remaining tomatoes in the blender until they are a chunky pulp and add to the pan. Return to the boil, then reduce to a good simmer.

Skim off foam and cook gently for 30 to 40 mins, stirring every 5 mins or so & scraping down sides of the pan. The mixture should reduce by about half. Test for a set and cook further as required etc.

Skim off any last bits of foam, then pour into clean jars and seal while hot.

* Chillies can vary, so add more or less according to taste.

glasgowcyclist

For @glasgowcyclist - a recipe for chilli jam from one of my go-to books on preserves, which is from the WI...

500g ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
4 red finger chillies, deseeded (optional) and roughly chopped *
2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
2.5 cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon thai fish sauce (suppose you could use worcestershire sauce)
225g soft brown sugar
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Put half the tomatoes plus the chillies, garlic, ginger and fish sauce in a blender. Whizz until smooth. Pour the mixture into a pan along with the sugar and vinegar. Slowly bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.

Pulse the remaining tomatoes in the blender until they are a chunky pulp and add to the pan. Return to the boil, then reduce to a good simmer.

Skim off foam and cook gently for 30 to 40 mins, stirring every 5 mins or so & scraping down sides of the pan. The mixture should reduce by about half. Test for a set and cook further as required etc.

Skim off any last bits of foam, then pour into clean jars and seal while hot.

* Chillies can vary, so add more or less according to taste.

Thanks for that, I might give that a go next weekend.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
What's a yellow sticker bargain?

What @glasgowcyclist says, although there are other reasons why food goes on yellow sticker. Sometimes it's because the packaging has been damaged, or because a product is being withdrawn from sale e.g. end of line, not stocking anymore, change in packaging etc. Another common reason is if a promotional or seasonal offer is coming to a close and the shop has to shift a lot of goods in a short space of time.

Top Bottom