Today's Yellow Sticker Bargains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not literally a yellow sticker bargain but my wife came back from Wilkinsons yesterday.
Toddlers 5 in 1 activity slide for up to 4 YOs, the plastic garden type things...started at £50 sometime earlier in the summer no doubt, reduced to £35, reduced to £16, reduced yesterday to £8.
Also, mini paddling pools for toddlers...£1.50. At that price, silly not to for the enjoyment they get out of them. Go get them i suggested :okay:

Our 13 month old GD Imogen wouldnt get out of it once filled with water.

KneesUp

Guru
I went to WM Morrissons for some batteries the other night.

I came back with a 9p bunch of flowers for Mrs Knees (forgot to take the price off) and a 9p salad for the guinea pigs. Batteries were full price sadly.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I got a 300ml tub of double cream for 19p on its expiry date and used it to make a nice bit of butter and more than enough buttermilk to make soda bread to spread it on.

(Picture shows about half the butter left.)

butteredsodabread.jpg

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Cream crackered after yellow stickering in Tesco today. Good hunting was had, mainly down to the fact that there was only me and one other lady there this afternoon. So we basically shared everything. Picked up the following:

2 packs pork shoulder steaks @ 24p each
1 ribeye steak @ 45p
Pack 2 ostrich steaks @ 53p
Fish pie mix @ 45p
Deli counter ham @ 26p
Deli counter cooked pork @ 75p
Deli counter cooked bbq beef @ 36p
2 large packs sushi @ 35p each
1 kg mixed deli counter olives @ £1.30
2 packs chantenay carrots @ 9p each
Punnet vine tomatoes @ 9p
Punnet mushrooms @ 13p
Pack mini gem lettuce @ 10p
2 bags spinach @ 10p each
2 bags sprouts @ 15p each
2 bags vegetable medley @ 15p each
2 mangoes @ 20p each
3 punnets strawberries @ 20p each
2 punnets cherries @ 40p each
1 punnet peaches @ 10p
1 kg black plums @ 30p
2 punnets grapes @ 20p each
1 pack golden kiwi fruit @ 15p
1 pack avocadoes @ 18p,
2 ciabattas @ 4p each
1 Hovis granary @ 7p
1 Polish rye bread @ 5p
3 packs cheese scones @ 5p each
2 packs apple turnovers @ 16p each
2 Battenberg cakes at 8p each

Shared my haul with my lovely neighbour, who very kindly met me at Tesco to take my groceries home whilst my car is in the garage having the clutch fixed. Muggins did the round trip by bicycle.

Other good recent buys (elsewhere) are half a kilo of dolcelatte cheese for £2.99, 300g stilton for 82p, 200g anchovy fillets for 90p, six packs of cathedral city cheddar at 10p a pack and a job lot of salad tomatoes (packs of 6 tomatoes) at 12p a pack. The latter will be turned into chutney, as today I also acquired vinegar, onions and sugar. I suspect the chutney will be eaten with aforementioned cheese... :hungry: :laugh: :whistle:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Found a YS bargain from Christmas at the back of the cupboard tonight - a deluxe fruited Xmas pud that we picked up for a quid (was £9) and it was still in date, so we had it after tea.

There is something delightfully decadent about Xmas pud in August...:santa:

Oh, Xmas puds will keep for a fair old while. I always have a good supply in and drag one out at regular intervals as I am really rather fond of them. :hungry: All they need is an overnight soak in something boozy to bring them right up to peak munchability. :biggrin:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My local supermarket sometimes puts yellow stickers on "Ripen at home" fruit as it is past the best-before date.

This really, really confuses me. Surely it is better after the best before date? And why are they discounting it, rather than putting it with the 'already ripe' fruit?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Cream crackered after yellow stickering in Tesco today. Good hunting was had, mainly down to the fact that there was only me and one other lady there this afternoon. So we basically shared everything. Picked up the following:

2 packs pork shoulder steaks @ 24p each
1 ribeye steak @ 45p
Pack 2 ostrich steaks @ 53p
Fish pie mix @ 45p
Deli counter ham @ 26p
Deli counter cooked pork @ 75p
Deli counter cooked bbq beef @ 36p
2 large packs sushi @ 35p each
1 kg mixed deli counter olives @ £1.30
2 packs chantenay carrots @ 9p each
Punnet vine tomatoes @ 9p
Punnet mushrooms @ 13p
Pack mini gem lettuce @ 10p
2 bags spinach @ 10p each
2 bags sprouts @ 15p each
2 bags vegetable medley @ 15p each
2 mangoes @ 20p each
3 punnets strawberries @ 20p each
2 punnets cherries @ 40p each
1 punnet peaches @ 10p
1 kg black plums @ 30p
2 punnets grapes @ 20p each
1 pack golden kiwi fruit @ 15p
1 pack avocadoes @ 18p,
2 ciabattas @ 4p each
1 Hovis granary @ 7p
1 Polish rye bread @ 5p
3 packs cheese scones @ 5p each
2 packs apple turnovers @ 16p each
2 Battenberg cakes at 8p each

Shared my haul with my lovely neighbour, who very kindly met me at Tesco to take my groceries home whilst my car is in the garage having the clutch fixed. Muggins did the round trip by bicycle.

Other good recent buys (elsewhere) are half a kilo of dolcelatte cheese for £2.99, 300g stilton for 82p, 200g anchovy fillets for 90p, six packs of cathedral city cheddar at 10p a pack and a job lot of salad tomatoes (packs of 6 tomatoes) at 12p a pack. The latter will be turned into chutney, as today I also acquired vinegar, onions and sugar. I suspect the chutney will be eaten with aforementioned cheese... :hungry: :laugh: :whistle:
Are you one of those people that stands behind the shop worker while they try to reduce stuff with your elbows flailing trying to stop anybody else from getting close? Or maybe one of those that pick up EVERY SINGLE PACK of reduced rolls before crushing them and slinging them back? I like the opportunity to buy a reduced item if it's something that I needed, but seeing people acting like animals to save a few pounds on products that I'm willing to bet go in the bin a few days later because they didn't really want them anyway, well it sickens me frankly.

Helenbells

I regularly shop at yellow-sticker time on a Friday after bells. There was a scramble and horrendous scenes, which I detested. I would wait till the scrummage died down.
Fortunately the staff have implemented a queuing system and guess what, it works. The scrummage devotees have gone elsewhere.
I have recently made strawberry and raspberry jam from yellow-snickered fruit and have filled the freezer with BBQ cuts of meat that didn't sell in the recent monsoon.

I think I like the auto-corrected yellow-snickered as a word rather than yellow-stickered

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Are you one of those people that stands behind the shop worker while they try to reduce stuff with your elbows flailing trying to stop anybody else from getting close?

From reading his various posts, I'm hazarding a guess that he's not.

My lovely 90 year old neighbour will appreciate the pork chops and the haddock. He loves smoked haddock, but can't afford to buy it full price
the chap who mans the hot deli counter beckoned me over. I had first dibs on what he was reducing
the manager comes out of the back with the one and only crate of today's reductions, walks up to me and says "take your pick
it's always worthwhile being polite to the staff - not just to the lads and lasses doing the reductions, but also to the bods on the till and to the security guard on the door etc. Saying please and thank you and hello doesn't cost me anything, but it's not the first time stuff's been brought out after everyone else has left
down to the fact that there was only me and one other lady there
Shared my haul with my lovely neighbour

etc. etc.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
From reading his various posts, I'm hazarding a guess that he's not.

etc. etc.
You could be right, although we can all selectively quote in order to spin of course;

Sunday Lurk in Tesco

a pretty decent hau

The prawns and the crab are a treat for my cats

That's a pretty neat haul

I was hoping to snag some reduced bread

It's not often I buy a loaf full price :laugh:

Nipped into Waitrose on Tuesday morning and snagged

Aaaargh, that's frustrating when that happens. :banghead:
When someone else had the opportunity to take everything

Matters weren't helped by a swarm of regulars who suddenly appeared out of the woodwork just as they brought out the single tray of pre-packed bread.
Let's remember that Reynard is such a regular they are recognised by the staff and even given preferential treatment.

Good hunting was had, mainly down to the fact that there was only me and one other lady there this afternoon. So we basically shared everything.
There we are, they took the lot and didn't leave anything for anybody that came behind.

My point was more a general one though. As Helenbells has mentioned the behaviour of a lot of people over these reduced items is disgusting, they are like pigs at a trough with less manners. I was listening to accounts on the radio recently of people turning up armed with golf clubs and the like, all to try and save a couple of pence on a chocloate cake that feeds 12 or was it 16, I forget.

BTW, I think Reynard is a woman.

Edit: Double checked, it serves 24.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

My point was more a general one though. As Helenbells has mentioned the behaviour of a lot of people over these reduced items is disgusting, they are like pigs at a trough with less manners.

Your question didn't sound general to me, being specifically asked of Reynard and asking if she behaved in the anti-social way you described.

I quoted the sections I did because I'd remembered them and it seems to me to be clear to anyone reading her accounts that she's well-mannered.

Top Bottom