Too windy to go cycling....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That is surprising, unless you never ride at night in places without roadside lighting!

Towards the end of a recent metric century ride I cycled up the 5.5 mile climb from Mytholmroyd to Blackstone Edge. Unfortunately, it was a bit later than expected when I got there so I encountered a lot of rush hour traffic in the dark. It wasn't too bad for the lower part of the climb because there is street lighting there so cars coming the other way were generally using dipped lights and my pupils were not fully open to capture maximum light. The road over open moorland higher up was different altogether. Nearly all of the many cars coming towards me were on full beam until they got close to me, by which time they had already blinded me. Several times I nearly rode off into the ditch on my left and a couple of times I went the other way towards the middle of the narrow road. Not pleasant!

PS When I got to the top, I discovered that I had accidentally been riding with my 3W (maximum power) front light on its energy-saving setting, which probably explains why oncoming drivers had been so slow to dip for me! Mind you, if they had dipped too soon then they might have ended up in the ditch themselves, given that it was pitch black up there.

Well it is true that SOME drivers don't dip but as I recall from my car driving days (better not tell the forum how those ended) they are the exception - most do. With crazily overpowered and/or badly positioned bike lights the problem is of course that there is no dip function - and indeed some cyclists clearly glory in this in a me victim/I'll bully you kind of way. In the countryside being some distance on the other side of the road I can usually cope with the odd driver with poor lights - on some traffic free segregated bike lane in London you are passing very close to oncoming cyclists, some going rather fast, and macho front lights there can be a real problem. Downright perilous, particularly as some cyclists overtake where they shouldn't, heading straight for you. The nits have managed to transfer the perils of the road with some arrogant drivers to a cycling facility :sad: - which just goes to show that folk are folk, whatever their chosen transport.

nickAKA

Über Member
Way back when I gave a shiny sh*te about keeping the car clean, I got drawn into a forum on detailing that turned my life into a living hell. A couple of hours cleaning the car inside & out turned into an opus lasting all weekend, wondering if I was using EXACTLY the right product on the black trim & door rubbers. Thankfully, I'm over it now (wibble), but old habits die hard and I often find myself slapping some ridiculously expensive wax or polymer coating onto the bike when it's been cleaned. Doesn't make any difference, it still gets dirty and needs a wash.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My bike's filthy because I went cycling today.

Mine stay filthy most of the time because OCD bike washing is strangely low down on my list of domestic priorities. I only do them when they really need it, not after every ride or every weekend. Maybe as frequently as once a month - if I'm in the mood...or less often if I'm not.

There is no such thing as "too windy", only insufficiently windproof clothing!!!
Yes there is, and too wet and too cold. There is no activity whatever that I would do in those condirions by choice. Wuss? Too right.
:biggrin:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
(It will also be putting most of your weight on the saddle rather than sharing some of it through your arms which could could lead to a sore bum on long rides.)

If it works for you, fair enough, but I would really struggle after riding 20+ miles in that position.
Put weight through your legs, not your arms. Weight through the arms risks your wrists and various other joints.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I have it in strobe mode if I'm using both. But it's mostly a backup light and I remove it from the seatpost and clip it onto the pannier rack.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The saddle looks many inches too low and if it is it will be making your cycling much harder work than it needs to be!.

You're confusing a high bars setting with a too low saddle setting. Not the same thing at all. If the saddle to pedal distance is correct for the OP's inside leg measurement - then it's right, irrespective of the relative height of the bars.
It is quite common on womens frames for the head tube, and therefore the bar height, to be taller than an equivalent sized mens frame. If the frame is a bit on the large size for the rider, a tall head tube and bars height has the effect of shortening the reach and making the bike comfortable to a rider who would not be comfortable on an oversized bike with a short head tube and lower bars.

Top Bottom