Took The Plunge. Bought A Boardman SLR 8.9 Carbon Road Bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
After 9 months of commuting on my Apollo MTB whilst ooming and arring about what to get next, I've finally taken the plunge and bought a carbon road bike.

I set my mind on the Boardman a few months back as it seems the best value performance road bike available within the £1000 ceiling Cycle to Work scheme.

I pick it up next Saturday from my local Halfords.

I've never ridden a carbon bike before and I haven't ridden a racing bike since the 1990's. I've never used brake lever shifters before either. I'm itching to give it a go.

I don't intend to use it for commuting though (unless it's perfect daylight and dry conditions).

My intention is to commute on the old MTB and use the road bike for weekend jaunts on the better surfaced country roads which surround me.

The bike blurb states that it is "tubeless ready" and I'd like to set that up (hints and tips would be welcome).

Also, I'd wouldn't mind a bit of advice on the bare minimum essential toolkit to carry with me in a small saddle bag. There's not much point in me having a 9kg bike and carrying half a ton of stuff around which I probably wont need.

Also, any other carbon bike care tips such as cleaning, storage, servicing and anything else that is carbon bike unique (I'd like this bike to last me for a good few years).

I've got ants in my pants waiting for next Saturday.

Last edited:

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I hope you cover many thousands of miles on your new bike - enjoy it :becool:

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
You deserve something decent after putting up with an Apollo all that while :smile:
The Boardman is for pure pleasure use and I'm hoping to take advantage of the thunder thighs I have built up lumping the Apollo up and down grrrtt big Devon hills.

I've planned a few local easy ten milers to get me used to a road bike (again) and I have a sixty miler planned for early March.

Next up is a replacement for the Apollo which will cope with the daily commute (maybe a carbon forked hybrid).

So many bikes, so little money!!

Big John

Guru
Carbon doesn't mean it has to be wrapped in cotton wool - they take a beating at times. Just watch a few stages of the Tour de France. All I'll say, from bitter experience, is try not to crash it, drop it or inadvertently hit it. They are tough but they're not steel. Look after it and it'll last for donkeys years. I've had mine for 14 years now, I think. I am on the second frame though. And I've had to do a DIY repair with a kit I bought off the net but other than that it's fine! 🤞

If you don't want to carry the kitchen sink under your saddle then the least you'll need is a spare tube, something to blow it up with, tyre leavers and maybe a few nylon zip ties for the unexpected. A few luxuries might include a chain splitter and a pocket set of hex keys in case the seat post comes lose or the brakes needs adjusting. A lot use CO2 inflators these days but a mini pump can always be carried in a back pocket.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
If you don't want to carry the kitchen sink under your saddle then the least you'll need is a spare tube, something to blow it up with, tyre leavers and maybe a few nylon zip ties for the unexpected. A few luxuries might include a chain splitter and a pocket set of hex keys in case the seat post comes lose or the brakes needs adjusting. A lot use CO2 inflators these days but a mini pump can always be carried in a back pocket.
I've got a pretty good multi tool and a set of very strong plastic tyre levers. I also have a mini pump on the MTB which doesn't weigh much.

I was thinking along the lines of adding a spare tube and a few stick on patches.

I carry far too much on my MTB commute, most of which I could probably do without (adjustable spanner, pliers, screwdrivers, two spare tubes, cone spanners, metal tyre levers, dumb bell spanner and other crap which weighs in all together at over 2kg).

My plan is to only ride the Boardman on fine weekend days whilst carrying as little weight as possible.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Carbon doesn't mean it has to be wrapped in cotton wool - they take a beating at times.

One of the guys at work was telling me today about how a mate of his had a carbon bike shatter beneath him when he went over a pot hole.

It reminded me of that story I heard years ago about the man who sneezed and blew his eyeballs out of their sockets.

Or that other story about a number ten bus being found on the moon.

Gunk

Guru
Buy a bottle tool kit, just slots into a bottle cage. This is what I carry.

1332C2DF-74A7-4A56-880A-4A2C2D593444.jpeg

5E010A8F-695B-4F99-BE97-E8BB6EAD1288.jpeg

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I carry similar I winter but during summer I can need 2 bottles as well as a cake stop on longer rides
I went through water at the rate of a bottle every ten miles last summer. I'm happy to drink tap water so before I do my 60 miler next month, I'm going to suss out some refill spots. Favourite at the moment is a handful of railway station toilets between here and Exeter (yeewww).

I'd do pub water stops if they were open, but then again, the landlords along the A377 get really pissed off with refilling water bottles for the thousands of cyclists who do the route every month. I was having a pint with a workmate at the Portsmouth Arms two years ago when a couple of cyclists walked in with the older one saying "I hope you don't mind, but I wish to exercise my right as a traveller to obtain free water from your establishment". The landlord duly obliged and as they walked out the door, bottles filled, he exclaimed "pair of cnuts" before serving the next paying customer.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I went through water at the rate of a bottle every ten miles last summer. I'm happy to drink tap water so before I do my 60 miler next month, I'm going to suss out some refill spots. Favourite at the moment is a handful of railway station toilets between here and Exeter (yeewww).

I'd do pub water stops if they were open, but then again, the landlords along the A377 get really pissed off with refilling water bottles for the thousands of cyclists who do the route every month. I was having a pint with a workmate at the Portsmouth Arms two years ago when a couple of cyclists walked in with the older one saying "I hope you don't mind, but I wish to exercise my right as a traveller to obtain free water from your establishment". The landlord duly obliged and as they walked out the door, bottles filled, he exclaimed "pair of cnuts" before serving the next paying customer.
Of course everyone is different and has different needs for fluid ,on longer rides we can do 40 miles between stops

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Of course everyone is different and has different needs for fluid ,on longer rides we can do 40 miles between stops
I haven't done a really long ride in years. 20 miles at the most.

What I do find with the hour long rides, is that the first twenty minutes is the hardest. After that, I seem to get a "second wind" and the rest is a bit of a breeze.

Does that hold true for four or five hour rides?

Top Bottom