Took The Plunge. Bought A Boardman SLR 8.9 Carbon Road Bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
You do get the cables rubbing somewhat on some frames.

If the outers are set up right, there should be no rubbing of the inner cables against the frame. If they are rubbing, it would be apparent pretty quickly (the noise, the lack of response).

Lookrider

If the outers are set up right, there should be no rubbing of the inner cables against the frame. If they are rubbing, it would be apparent pretty quickly (the noise, the lack of response).

Maybe the posts previous and mine should have been more detailed and read
The OUTER sheafs are rubbing against tbe frame
Your correct in that cables should never rub against the frame
But I somewhat think by saying cables in general the posts actually meant cable outers...I meant that

Hopefully your new bike will not be ser up allowing the cables rubbing on the frame
If the outers are rubbing then halfords will put those small balls on for you

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes the outers rubbing as above!

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Maybe the posts previous and mine should have been more detailed and read
The OUTER sheafs are rubbing against tbe frame
Your correct in that cables should never rub against the frame
"The OUTER sheafs are rubbing against tbe frame. Your correct".

Terrible grammar mate. You seem to be typing when you are pissed?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I carry tyre levers, spare inner tube, mini pump, and allen key set in an under seat saddle bag.

A quick release catch means I just move it between bikes. I did 3000 miles last year and got 1 puncture, and that was because I had an under inflated tyre whilst going over a cattle grid at speed.

Enjoy your new bike, I cannot wait to get back out on my road bike, just waiting for the weather to start warming up and council to repair all the pot holes (which to my surprise has already started:smile:).

View attachment 572384
i use similar but i use one without a seat tube strap as i get thunder thigh rub

Lookrider

"The OUTER sheafs are rubbing against tbe frame. Your correct".

Terrible grammar mate. You seem to be typing when you are pissed?
I have had issues with spelling and grammar since childhood
Filling in forms was a challenge with pens that I could not correct in adulthood
Texting helps with this issue
Unfortunately I cannot at all see what is wrong with my spelling or grammar
I know it must be wrong as 2 of you piobt it out ...however I cannot see it.....
Sorry ...but I hope you could see what I meant anyways ...and I'm not been drinking at all ...like many in these days

Lookrider

I have had issues with spelling and grammar since childhood
Filling in forms was a challenge with pens that I could not correct in adulthood
Texting helps with this issue
Unfortunately I cannot at all see what is wrong with my spelling or grammar
I know it must be wrong as 2 of you piobt it out ...however I cannot see it.....
Sorry ...but I hope you could see what I meant anyways ...and I'm not been drinking at all ...like many in these days

Lovacot ....my grammar was not like how you have done yours about mine
I never had commars in and the part starting ...your correct ....was on a separate or new paragraph as you are correct about the inner cables ......I dont want to get in a fuss about this as I guess you meant well in good faith

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You deserve something decent after putting up with an Apollo all that while :smile:

I've done many perfectly reliable miles on my Apollo MTB and I would consider it a decent, if slightly heavy bike. It's not a form of punishment to ride one! :laugh:

Carbon doesn't mean it has to be wrapped in cotton wool - they take a beating at times. Just watch a few stages of the Tour de France. All I'll say, from bitter experience, is try not to crash it, drop it or inadvertently hit it. They are tough but they're not steel.

That's the fundamental problem though isn't it. Bikes do get crashed, accidentally knocked over, or get hard objects bashed into them. Any bike that can't withstand a bit of rough & tumble is not fit for purpose in my book, which means no carbons.

Gunk

Guru
My 2007 CF S Works has never been wrapped in cotton wool and has been crashed numerous times over the years, the frame is perfect.

520B08D4-FA24-4FB0-A1B7-2843FC961AA4.jpeg

gzoom

Über Member
My 2007 CF S Works has never been wrapped in cotton wool and has been crashed numerous times over the years, the frame is perfect.

Did this to my self over the summer, bike was fine, not the first time either, got matching scars on both elbows now :smile:.

50089724476_cf899c66a7_c_d.jpg

But you can barely tell the bike is now 10 years old, let alone I've crashed it more than a feel times. Its certainly lasting better than my body is :laugh:.

50750938617_84c0e8a026_4k_d.jpg

Top Bottom