Took The Plunge. Bought A Boardman SLR 8.9 Carbon Road Bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
I've never spent this much on a bike before and I'm determined to never spend this much on a bike ever again.

You say this now, but once you spend £££ on a bike, spending £££+£ all of a sudden doesn't seem that bad.

Before I bought my current eBike, I use to find it staggering people could spend £5k+ on a road bike, but now I find my self thinking 'why not' after all my 'hack/commuter' bike was ££££ so surely my next 'proper' road bike should cost more :smile:.

Let us know how you get on with Boardman am eyeing up the 9.8 disc SLR to replace my Trek. Am waiting for Boardman to introduce the one piece 'aero' cockpit, hopefully for 2022 to time in with a big middle aged birthday present......Getting a bike from Halfords as a mid life crisis intervention, that's the kinda of exciting life I live :laugh:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
my team carbon is 5 years old and still going strong still love it

Chislenko

Veteran
Don't know if this has been mentioned but from my own costly experience I would fit a chain keeper.

Mine came off going up a hill, mangled itself between the chainset and the frame and took away a load of carbon. (I would add I think it was my own fault changing down going round a 180 turn on to an uphill ramp)

£300 carbon repair bill later I fitted a keeper.

Just a thought from my own experience.

cyberknight

Don't know if this has been mentioned but from my own costly experience I would fit a chain keeper.

Mine came off going up a hill, mangled itself between the chainset and the frame and took away a load of carbon. (I would add I think it was my own fault changing down going round a 180 turn on to an uphill ramp)

i had similar to be fair, luckily i didnt do any damage i did have to adjust the low stops to sort it , i mean to install a catcher but not sure how to on the sqaure tubing and CBA to undo the FD to add one on there ?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My 2007 CF S Works has never been wrapped in cotton wool and has been crashed numerous times over the years, the frame is perfect.

But has it ever been knocked over so the top tube struck the square corner of a brick wall or a square concrete or metal bollard/post??. I managed to dislodge a hefty bit of angle iron off a workbench and it slammed straight into a bike chainstay and back wheel on the way down. Only a beater involved, so no big deal, but I doubt it would have had a happy ending if it had been carbon.

Gunk

Guru
Is that a crack in the seat stay?

no it’s perfect

Chislenko

Veteran
i had similar to be fair, luckily i didnt do any damage i did have to adjust the low stops to sort it , i mean to install a catcher but not sure how to on the sqaure tubing and CBA to undo the FD to add one on there ?

Mine is fitted direct to the FD @cyberknight like this.

Yet another one of my bikes in bits at the moment hence no chain on it!

cyberknight

Mine is fitted direct to the FD @cyberknight like this.
View attachment 572601

Yet another one of my bikes in bits at the moment hence no chain on it!
did you have to disconnect the FD bolt to connect it ?

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member

I looked at one for my MTB but the weld at the BB / Seat tube junction is too fat so there isn't enough room below the FD bracket to fit one.

I'll see if it's possible to fit one to the road bike and buy one from Amazon. If It can be bolted directly to the FD, that would be perfect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
That's the fundamental problem though isn't it. Bikes do get crashed, accidentally knocked over, or get hard objects bashed into them. Any bike that can't withstand a bit of rough & tumble is not fit for purpose in my book, which means no carbons.
The Boardman will only be used on the better maintained country roads in fine weather. It's a self indulgent buy and it's far more expensive than anything else I've ever bought before. I've read enough on the pros and cons of carbon to convince me that it's a safe and reliable material when used for it's intended purpose. The bike has very good reviews and press and is the polar opposite to my lumpy but trusty MTB. I want my weekend pleasure rides to be totally different to the slog that is my daily commute.

If I have a catastrophic crash which wrecks the bike, I will probably be wrecked as well so I won't be overly worried about the cost of any bike repairs. 😄

Top Bottom