Took The Plunge. Bought A Boardman SLR 8.9 Carbon Road Bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After 9 months of commuting on my Apollo MTB whilst ooming and arring about what to get next, I've finally taken the plunge and bought a carbon road bike.

I set my mind on the Boardman a few months back as it seems the best value performance road bike available within the £1000 ceiling Cycle to Work scheme.

I pick it up next Saturday from my local Halfords.

I've never ridden a carbon bike before and I haven't ridden a racing bike since the 1990's. I've never used brake lever shifters before either. I'm itching to give it a go.

I don't intend to use it for commuting though (unless it's perfect daylight and dry conditions).

My intention is to commute on the old MTB and use the road bike for weekend jaunts on the better surfaced country roads which surround me.

The bike blurb states that it is "tubeless ready" and I'd like to set that up (hints and tips would be welcome).

Also, I'd wouldn't mind a bit of advice on the bare minimum essential toolkit to carry with me in a small saddle bag. There's not much point in me having a 9kg bike and carrying half a ton of stuff around which I probably wont need.

Also, any other carbon bike care tips such as cleaning, storage, servicing and anything else that is carbon bike unique (I'd like this bike to last me for a good few years).

I've got ants in my pants waiting for next Saturday.

I did very similar to you I think. I picked up my Boardman 8.9 SLR Carbon Disc last Saturday from Halfords...What a beaut!!
I am in similar position to you, whereby I have never had a carbon bike before, actually, I have never had a drop bar road bike before!

I must be having an early midlife crisis I think, because I bought a Ghost Square Cross 2.8 (£700) hybrid in March 2020, having not actually been on a bike since my mid 20s - I turned 40 in Nov last year :O

Anyways, I have loved been back on 2 wheels, however lugging up inclines on this 14Kg beast with my 15stone has been taking it out of me as well as the number of times I have been overtaken by a road bike - be it with a more slightly framed rider on top of it, I decided I was going to have myself some of that!

So...after much consideration, not having a clue about bikes, watching many a youtube video, scouring through pages and pages of online bike shops, grumbling to myself about how many bikes are out of stock, etc, I went with the Boardman on a cycle2work scheme...£1500 - that also went out of stock the following day!!

Anyways, there's a few things I need to ask the more experienced bikers on here.
I'm a crocodile legged short arse...5ft8, 30-31inch inside leg...so with some trepidation, I went with the small framed boardman...which, thankfully seems to fit nicely, but obviously as I previously said, I have never ridden a road bike before so the actual riding position feels very alien at the minute.
My issues have been so far, coccyx pain this week - no issues when riding but the last week - jeessus, think I need a doughnut pillow lol - hopefully that disappears sooner rather than later.
The inside of both my elbows have been hurting when extending them post ride - research suggests it's a similar pain to tennis elbow - any tips as to what can alleviate that ?
I've raised the seat to a nice leg position, but should I be raising the handle bars similarly? Will that help with the inside elbow pain?

Thankyou in advance.

J (new member)

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Ãœber Member
My issues have been so far, coccyx pain this week -...The inside of both my elbows have been hurting when extending them post ride...-
Racing bike or road bike saddles are razor blade thin and made of concrete. They hurt like hell for about a week but after that, you don't even notice they are there.

As for the elbows, look at how you hold your arms on the road bike and compare it to the MTB. Totally different and until your body adjusts, there will be pain.

I went with the Boardman on a cycle2work scheme...£1500
I thought cycle to work was capped at £1000?

Correct me if I am wrong.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Ãœber Member
So how far did you ride today and first impressions?
A sedentary flit around the block. About three miles in total with a hill climb on the last leg (I live on a hill).

On the flat, I got up to very dizzying speeds within just a few pedal strokes. On the hill home, changing down was easy and not at all crunchy.

I love the combined brake and gear lever system. Never tried it before (the commuter MTB is a grip shift).

I love the trim settings.

The seat hurt a bit, but I will get used to that in time.

Plus, the frame didn't shatter into a million pieces like all the heavy smokers at work said it would.

The weather was pretty filthy today and I didn't stay out long. I'll have another crack in the morning.

10/10 so far.

1613242925220.png

Chislenko

Veteran
A sedentary flit around the block. About three miles in total with a hill climb on the last leg (I live on a hill).

On the flat, I got up to very dizzying speeds within just a few pedal strokes. On the hill home, changing down was easy and not at all crunchy.

I love the combined brake and gear lever system. Never tried it before (the commuter MTB is a grip shift).

I love the trim settings.

The seat hurt a bit, but I will get used to that in time.

Plus, the frame didn't shatter into a million pieces like all the heavy smokers at work said it would.

The weather was pretty filthy today and I didn't stay out long. I'll have another crack in the morning.

10/10 so far.

View attachment 573813

I don't see the MTB getting many more outings!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
saddles are a personal thing and even haveing the set up out by 5 mm can be uncomfy for me .For years i used boardman stock saddles and i was fine but then i got saddle sores and in the end switched to a wider more shaped one aka charge spoon or fabric scoop radius in 143 mm
Lovely looking bike im not jealous :smile: love mine and cant see the point in splashing another grand to gain 1 extra cog

@Lovacott not anymore depending on which deal your workplace has done with the provider. There are now 3 models in play.

£1000 cap with no consumer credit licence and hire from employer
No cap but agreed value with employer and provider and you hire from the provider via a payment agreement collected via payroll
No cap, employer has consumer credit license and hire from employer.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Ãœber Member
I don't see the MTB getting many more outings!
The work commute run will be strictly MTB.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Ãœber Member
@Lovacott not anymore depending on which deal your workplace has done with the provider. There are now 3 models in play.
Mine was capped at £1000 which is a bit annoying because I could have bought at least another £200 worth of tax deductible stuff like torque wrenches, saddle bags, spare tubes, tyres, cassette and so on.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Ãœber Member
i picked up a carrera vanquish disc for commuting for the money its pretty decent
That's my next target. A decent bike for commuting.

The Apollo is doing well but it's a heavy frame and I could manage without the front suspension now that I know where all the pot holes live.

Meanwhile, I've just fitted my second crank set in six months (wear and tear is a bitch).

1613254811600.png

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's my next target. A decent bike for commuting.

The Apollo is doing well but it's a heavy frame and I could manage without the front suspension now that I know where all the pot holes live.

Meanwhile, I've just fitted my second crank set in six months (wear and tear is a bitch).

View attachment 573832
ouch whats the issue ?
My vanquish was not really designed as a commuter aka no upper rack points so i bodged it with a seatpost clamp with mounts and clip on gaurds , just changed the stock tyres too It does make a fast commuter the only real bugbear for me is the disc brakes which i need to tweak if i take the wheel out as the QR method never centres exactly the same

Attachments

• carrera vanquish.jpg
    carrera vanquish.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom