Tooth Ache :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
I started with sudden searing toothache on Tuesday evening. Pain is unbearable at times. Been to the dentis twice so far, but all he's done is take 2 x-rays, the 1st of which hasn't shown anything up. I'm hoping the 2nd will. Got some antibiotics to take, but he says only to take them if I really need to!! How am I supposed to know when I really need to? It's very painful and to me that means take them! Anyone got any advice?!

byegad

Legendary Member
Take the pills. If that doesn't sort it out have the thing pulled, at all costs avoid root canal work. I had root canal 30+ years ago and it did save the tooth, for 25 more years of use, at the cost of some very unpleasant and painful moments! The next time I got an abscess on a live tooth I insisted the tooth was pulled. I do not regret the choice, only that I hadn't done it the first time around.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Most Dentists have digital x-rays so the results are on the screen straight away.

The most likely causes are decay and an exposed nerve or an abscess.

If it is the former then pain killers. If it is an abscess then you need to start taking the antibiotics ASAP.

I used to get an abscess once a year (again root treatment/save the tooth at all costs) and antibiotics don't do you any harm unless you are allergic to them. One painful episode occurred when the Dentist was ill and the Dental Doc at A&E gave me a cocktail of them.

I'm not sure but I think the bacteria can get immune to some antibiotics so it is important to complete the course. The best ones are those you can't have a drink with!

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The only time I have had terrible toothache was as a result of an abscess. The things that became apparent were that the issue may not be precisely where the pain is as the nerve giving the pain can run along a number of teeth, so hopefully your dentist has x-rayed the teeth around the pain not just the one where the pain is manifesting itself. Antibiotics alone didn't sort the abscess and the infected tooth had to be opened to relieve the pressure that was causing the pain and the antibiotic dose was increased to reduce the infection.
That is only one scenario though and toothache can come from all sorts of things like cavities cracked teeth etc where nerves are being exposed.
The only tip I would give is you decide to take a pain killer ibuprofen was the most effective as it is an anti inflammatory. It was far more effective than aspirin codeine or paracetamol.
Best of luck.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Ah, no.:sad: With the concert coming up as well!

I wouldn't know when to take the tablets based on that advice either:thumbsdown:. Take them and see if it helps is all I can suggest and I hope it eases quickly.

Last edited:

Mile195

Veteran
Get some painkillers containing codeine. Some say on the box you shouldn't take them for more than a few days. Those are the ones to get... They'll give you some proper relief from the pain until the dentist has done the work.

Inci-dentally (boom boom), if the cause of the pain is a cavity in the tooth, you can buy temporary fillings for about a tenner. It comes as a paste you can push into the hole which might also help. It should be available from most medium to large pharmacies.

Yeah toothache is a pretty miserable experience.

I always understood antibiotics to be a week or more course of treatment, so surprised he didn't put you on them straight away, you need to continue with the whole course even if the symptoms ease.

In the short term I've found Clove Oil works and gives some temporary relief ( tastes foul tho' ) use cotton bud to apply.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
20130513_204202_136847412243.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6kY1QA3B6196i3XXO7XJ-KV4YPx_CkuJI6FJJIL3I9N61toxwig.jpg

ibuprofen.jpg

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I'm the biggest coward going with a real fear of dentists, and ended up having LOTS of treatment after a lengthy period of my adult life when I avoided going to see a dentist for over 7 years. (And lots of extensive treatment again years later when a bad dentist did a runner after leaving my mouth in a very poor state.)

Now, I had extractions, crowns & bridges fitted and quite a few root-canal treatments. I'd always heard how awful they were, but I felt absolutely NOTHING. Nada. Zilch. Probably looked a right nit with the rubber sheeting they put around my gob, but that was it.

Take it from someone who has had it all done, and who was utterly terrified beforehand, root-canal is nothing to fear. I'm glad I kept the teeth rather than losing them, I can tell you!

OP
OP
G

gavgav

Guru
The dentist has said nothing is showing on the 2nd x ray either and so to take the tablets and contact them if still painful after. He might not be able to see something up but I can certainly tell him that something is up!!!!! The best painkiller I've found yet is whiskey! :cheers:

OP
OP
G

gavgav

Guru
Ah, no.:sad: With the concert coming up as well!

I wouldn't know when to take the tablets based on that advice either:thumbsdown:. Take them and see if it helps is all I can suggest and I hope it eases quickly.
It's the worst pain I've known since I was 8 yrs old when I had a gum abscess and had the tooth taken out. I want to :cry:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Most Dentists have digital x-rays so the results are on the screen straight away.

The most likely causes are decay and an exposed nerve or an abscess.

If it is the former then pain killers. If it is an abscess then you need to start taking the antibiotics ASAP.

I used to get an abscess once a year (again root treatment/save the tooth at all costs) and antibiotics don't do you any harm unless you are allergic to them. One painful episode occurred when the Dentist was ill and the Dental Doc at A&E gave me a cocktail of them.

I'm not sure but I think the bacteria can get immune to some antibiotics so it is important to complete the course. The best ones are those you can't have a drink with!

OT - like the new avatar, pete!

Top Bottom