'Top up' frequency & talc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Two things here. One; just changed an inner tune on the GLWs bike as the hole was too big for a patch. It was a regular Schwalbe inner tune, but in the box was a wee card with the symbol of a track pump, a calendar with '30' on it and above said 'calendar' was x1. Now I and the GLW interpret that as meaning you only need to inflate a tyre with a Schwalbe inner tube only once every 30 days, which seems amazing. I check and top up our bike tyres once a week. Observations please - !

Two. Whenever I separate tyre & tube; repair, change etc., I always put some talc or French chalk round the inside of the tyre before reinstalling the inner tube. It's simply to prevent one possibly binding on the other :thumbsup:, I've been doing this for as long as I can remember, so long in fact, I can't recall who told me about it. Does anyone else do this as a matter of routine - ?

hoopdriver

Guru
I don’t often have to change my inner tubes since I ride tourers and run on Schwalbe Marathon-Plusses and virtually never get flats. But I do put talc in my tubes before I put them in/in. I put the talc in a plastic bag, put in the tube, give it a shake which gives it all a nice light dusting and then install the tube. As I say, I don’t do it often, but I do do it and have done for ages. Like you, I do not recall when or from whom I learned that trick.

As for inflating tyres, I check mine weekly but with the Marathon Plusses find I do not often have to add any air. They hold air really quite well. I could certainly believe the 30-day advice.

Alan O

Über Member
I only really ride about once or twice a week, and I top up the tyre pressure about once a week if I remember. I've never used talc.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, been using baby talc for years to prevent repairs from sticking to tyres, to help inner tubes fit into tyres and on the actual tyres to dry lubricate the bead over the rim.

Whenever people post on web fora complaining about tight tyres I tell them to use talc.

adamhearn

Veteran
@snertos999 I assume he's happily married to a female partner?

Use a patch, no talc and check/pump before a ride but usually weekly. Can't see how a time (30 days) is of any value.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Once a week or before any big ride. And yes to talc; it makes fitting now tubes easier.

Top Bottom