'Top up' frequency & talc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matiz

Guru
I have used talc on patches to stop them sticking to the tyre,and the air needs topping up more frequently in the hot weather.

postman

Legendary Member
Well at the start of this month i took the advice from Woodrups.I changed the winter air in my tyres for some summer air.It appears to be thicker due to the warming,mind you it has been cold wet and snowing here,so i cannot see how the air will be any better.But if Vernon trusted Woodrups so will i.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes, been using baby talc for years to prevent repairs from sticking to tyres, to help inner tubes fit into tyres and on the actual tyres to dry lubricate the bead over the rim.

Whenever people post on web fora complaining about tight tyres I tell them to use talc.

Snap.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I used to use a little talc on the punctured patch to stop it sticking to the tyre. IIRC a small container of it used to be provided in the kit.
One of my kits has a chalk block but I never use it, preferring to make sure the rubber solution has dried properly.
A quick squeeze of the tyres before riding during the week and top up, if required, at weekend. Although as another Marathon + user, (at least in winter), top ups with those tyres are infrequent.

GuyBoden

Guru
When fitting tight tyres, I put lots of washing up liquid on the tyre beads and on the wheel rims to help the tyres slide on. Then I wipe it off thoroughly.

Alan O

Über Member
I have never used talc and have never had any indication that the tube is sticking to the tyre.
Same here - I couldn't possibly remember how many times I've pulled tubes out of tyres, but never once has one even come close to sticking. I do always put some French chalk over a new patch, but I've never seen any need for anything more than that.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As for tyre pressure. I almost use the Kick the tyre method. I give both tyres a squeeze every time I leave home on the bike, thats most days. Its easier to use the track pump in the shed, rather than faffing about on the road.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I use talc, mainly as it helps getting tyre back over the rim and out of force of habit too I guess. Can't say I've had a tube stick to the tyre, but then I always use talc. ^_^

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
How do you think that Marathon Plus tyres reduce residual leakage from the inner tube?

I could make the supposition that it is something to do with the carcass, but in truth have no idea. I can only go from personal experience. The Marathons were fitted for winter riding around the first weekend of November, with no change of inner tubes. Other than a rear puncture a couple of weeks ago, I can recall needing to top them up twice. So far, this is replicating what I experienced last winter, when the Marathons were first used.
By contrast, the non winter Gatorskins require much more frequent top ups.
The only reason I don't ride the Marathons all year round is because for the equivalent tyre pressure I find them a much harder ride.

postman

Legendary Member
I have never used the talc myself,and the last bit of sandpaper,well that went to an Aussie bloke,i had no idea why he needed it,he wasn't even cycling.

I put talc in my tubeless tyres to stop the sealant from escaping and making an awful mess, the trick get it nice and thick like custard. Just don't put it on yer sticky toffee puds.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I keep my spare tubes in a poly bag dusted with talk. If I take one out smells like a collection of rufty tufty scuba divers getting kitted up. Everybody uses talc to ease getting into suits.

Top Bottom