Torque wrench bit - what's it called?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Cheers, Bruce, thanks so much for the offer, but this Monday I'm off.
I would like to get the socket tomorrow, do the cassette swap, then ride the bike on Monday ^_^

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Can I be the first to say that I have never, ever used a torque wrench on a cassette lock ring. It's right up there along with torquing your headset top cap as far as I'm concerned.
I thought you, as an expert, would have encouraged me (very amateur mechanic) to do things correctly, at least in order to get a feeling for the torque.

Tim Hall

Can I be the first to say that I have never, ever used a torque wrench on a cassette lock ring. It's right up there along with torquing your headset top cap as far as I'm concerned.
Same here. There's also an argument that 40Nm is getting into bastard tight territory and that a lock ring doesn't need anything like that, especially as it's not subject to any "unscrewing" forces during use.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Same here. There's also an argument that 40Nm is getting into bastard tight territory and that a lock ring doesn't need anything like that, especially as it's not subject to any "unscrewing" forces during use.
But I would like to use my new toy :sad:
Can I, with the other bike's cassette? Pretty please? :smooch:

ayceejay

Guru
You go to Halfords and ask the young guy for a doobury to undo the whatjamacallit and he will look at you like you just dropped from the sky, however if you go to a tool shop with someone over 60 working there you will be fixed up instantly.:okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS you don't need a torque wrench for a cassette, or for anything really.

One of my first ever questions on here was about tightening a cassette lock ring and the advice was from @numbnuts I think; "a few clicks will be enough" (iirc).

Since then I bought a torque wrench but only cos I wanted one.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

PS you don't need a torque wrench for a cassette, or for anything really.
Men! Men on this forum! :rolleyes:
I know I don't need one - like I don't need another bike, or another kitchen gadget - but I bought the flipping thing (because all on CC said they have one) and now I want to use it.
We shall do a spot the difference:
bike number one, cassette not torqued, getting ridden tomorrow versus bike number two (cassette will be torqued :gun:) getting an outing on Monday.
I shall report the findings :biggrin:

Erudin

Veteran
When my Shimano cassette lockring tool which fitted a 24mm spanner broke I replaced it with a Cyclo cassette lockring tool.

This had a one inch (25.4mm) base so I just filed it down a little so it would fit my 25mm spanners and sockets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom